Recurrence starting treatment

Options
bjmom1
bjmom1 Member Posts: 152
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I will be starting treatment next Friday. They going give me 2weeks of radiations and 1year of bone infusion. I do not know what kind of bone infusion I will find out Friday. I was wonder have anyone experience a recurrent where everthing is going so fast. I just found out last week that I had met in my back. Know I having treatment. I feeling like I am back on the roller coaster again and don't know how I got on the ride. Any suggestion on how to handle this recurrence?

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    It's never any fun!
    I have had two recurrences, the second one was much worse than the third which which came 9 years later. All I can say is to try to take it one day at a time and not project the nasty "what ifs" that like to linger in our minds. We always tried to plan something special to look forward to each week (even during the exhausting ones) rather a drive in the country or mountains, perhaps off to see a movie, dinner at a fav. spot something not cancer related. I stayed away from shows that might make me sad, only comedies were allowed, laughter is a great healer and it helps the inner you oh so much! My first recurrence was in 98 and the third 07 and right now all is good. My best to you, you will be in my prayers!

RE
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are going
    I am sorry you are going through a recurrence. I can see why it feels like a rollar coaster ride all over again. RE has some great suggestions for making things more bareable. Be kind to yourself and take excellent care of your body and mind.

Mimi
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    mimivac said:

I am sorry you are going
    I am sorry you are going through a recurrence. I can see why it feels like a rollar coaster ride all over again. RE has some great suggestions for making things more bareable. Be kind to yourself and take excellent care of your body and mind.

Mimi

I am so sorry that you have
    I am so sorry that you have a recurrence. Sending you hugs and prayers!
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    So Sorry
    So sorry to hear about your treatment. Let me know what a bone infusion is. We are all praying that all goes well.

P
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Options
    So sorry about your
    So sorry about your recurrence! Thinking about you...

God Bless...
    Julie
  • babebussie
    babebussie Member Posts: 150
    Options
    I do the bone infusions
    I do the bone infusions every month also to help with the mets to the bone. Dr. said i'll be on this for the rest of my life. It's not bad at all for me. I'm on aredia and it does help for the most part but i also do acupuncture weekly to help with the bone pain and that has been wonderful. Yes, it's a rollercoaster ride and i wanna get off too. The ride will stop soon and i'm gonna RUN as fast as i can.

My prayers are with you.
    Babe
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    bjmom........
    You have received some very wise and knowledgeable responses to your post. All that I can add is that I will keep you in my prayers and hope fervently that your treatments are easy ones. Wishing you the best.

Hugs,

CR
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    aztec45 said:

So Sorry
    So sorry to hear about your treatment. Let me know what a bone infusion is. We are all praying that all goes well.

P

So sorry. Praying that
    So sorry. Praying that everything goes well for you.

Hugs, Megan
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    CR1954 said:

bjmom........
    You have received some very wise and knowledgeable responses to your post. All that I can add is that I will keep you in my prayers and hope fervently that your treatments are easy ones. Wishing you the best.

Hugs,

CR

Sending you prayers and lots
    Sending you prayers and lots of positive thoughts!

Hugs, Leeza
  • arbojenn
    arbojenn Member Posts: 118
    Options
    How did you know?
    I am so sorry you have to ride the roller coaster AGAIN! How did you know the cancer had spread to your back? Are there symptoms of bone mets, or mets to ANY region, or do you just have to hope one of those blood tests they do on your return visits shows it?

I had a local recurrence, but no blood tests picked it up. I had to bug the doctors for almost a year because it looked like I had scar tissue developing ten years after my mastectomy. Even the docs told me it looked like it was simply scar tissue even though I was ten years out. The blood tests never showed a thing. After re excision and radiation, I have not had any scans or anything but blood work to show the cancer IS gone or to search for mets. (PET scan at time of diagnosis showed only local recurrence.) I am so interested in how those of you with mets, especially with a recurrence, discovered them.
    Also, do you all know if you have no growths in the breast region, does that mean you don't need to worry about mets? Many thanks.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

I do the bone infusions
    I do the bone infusions every month also to help with the mets to the bone. Dr. said i'll be on this for the rest of my life. It's not bad at all for me. I'm on aredia and it does help for the most part but i also do acupuncture weekly to help with the bone pain and that has been wonderful. Yes, it's a rollercoaster ride and i wanna get off too. The ride will stop soon and i'm gonna RUN as fast as i can.

My prayers are with you.
    Babe

Wishing you all the best
    Wishing you all the best Babe! Keep us updated on you too!
  • bjmom1
    bjmom1 Member Posts: 152
    Options
    arbojenn said:

How did you know?
    I am so sorry you have to ride the roller coaster AGAIN! How did you know the cancer had spread to your back? Are there symptoms of bone mets, or mets to ANY region, or do you just have to hope one of those blood tests they do on your return visits shows it?

I had a local recurrence, but no blood tests picked it up. I had to bug the doctors for almost a year because it looked like I had scar tissue developing ten years after my mastectomy. Even the docs told me it looked like it was simply scar tissue even though I was ten years out. The blood tests never showed a thing. After re excision and radiation, I have not had any scans or anything but blood work to show the cancer IS gone or to search for mets. (PET scan at time of diagnosis showed only local recurrence.) I am so interested in how those of you with mets, especially with a recurrence, discovered them.
    Also, do you all know if you have no growths in the breast region, does that mean you don't need to worry about mets? Many thanks.

For about a couple of months I was having terrible chest and back pain. It was hard for me to get out of bed. I was starting to have lack of energy. I wanted take long nap about 2-4 hours I knew something was wrong. I even was taking vicodone and it was only ease the pain. I went to see my radiologist who suggest that I have a xray of my chest and that where they found that I had mets to the bones. Then I had bone scan to confirm. I was told always check your breast region for anykind of new growth.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    CR1954 said:

bjmom........

Hugs,

CR

Want to wish you good luck
    Want to wish you good luck and let you know that you will be in my prayers.
  • babebussie
    babebussie Member Posts: 150
    Options
    bjmom1 said:

For about a couple of months I was having terrible chest and back pain. It was hard for me to get out of bed. I was starting to have lack of energy. I wanted take long nap about 2-4 hours I knew something was wrong. I even was taking vicodone and it was only ease the pain. I went to see my radiologist who suggest that I have a xray of my chest and that where they found that I had mets to the bones. Then I had bone scan to confirm. I was told always check your breast region for anykind of new growth.

I had a bone scan too
    I had a bone scan too because i was having a pain in my lower back (lumbar section) thats when they found the hot spots, thats what the dr calls them.