Post Mastectomy Pain relief

Options
Gabbie99
Gabbie99 Member Posts: 17
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a radical mastectomy on February 4th and just got to remove the pressure bandage and ace wrap yesterday. Can't really find anything comfortable to wear and only very soft material ( velour) feels ok against my armpit and arm skin. Feels like a 2 X 4 is stuck up under my armpit and everything is swollen and red but when I look at it - looks as if nothing is wrong. I try to move the arm as much as possible, but by mid day can only press it against my side because it is so irritated. My surgeon says that it is actually a good sign that I feel so much because the nerves are probably going to heal, but until then just take ibuprofen. It seems to do nothing. Any suggestions from other members out there?

Comments

• Sharon40
    Sharon40 Member Posts: 93
    Options
    yep!
    I felt the same way! My surgery was Jan. 22 and I can tell you that is what I felt as well! It is getting better, but the entire area is still VERY numb in parts. The underside of my arm has always been worse than the surgery site. I am a few weeks ahead of you and I can tell you it is better. Keep taking those pills and wear or prop your arm to get comfort! ((Hugs))
  • helen e
    helen e Member Posts: 223
    Options
    Gabbie
    I had a lot of pain after my node biopsy, to the point where even my tshirt laying on it hurt, day and night. My onco. said that I really wasn't having pain (yeah right) that it was my nerves misfiring all the time. He put me on some medicine (Lyrica) that they use for epilepsy, and it worked!! No more pain. I'm not saying that that is your problem but you never know!
  • lndsmom
    lndsmom Member Posts: 20
    Options
    I had a mastectomy on 11/30
    and I understand the pain you are feeling. I still have hyperesthesia (severe sensitive skin pain) that is worsened with stuff I wear. I haven't been able to wear a bra for more than a couple of hours since the surgery. I found that wearing a cami helps because it keeps everything close and my shirt doesn't rub on my skin. Believe it or not, stretching did help a lot!! I went to an occupational therapist (who specialized in lymphedema) and doing the exercises actually helped the pain.

Sorry you have to go through this!!!

Penny
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    helen e said:

Gabbie
    I had a lot of pain after my node biopsy, to the point where even my tshirt laying on it hurt, day and night. My onco. said that I really wasn't having pain (yeah right) that it was my nerves misfiring all the time. He put me on some medicine (Lyrica) that they use for epilepsy, and it worked!! No more pain. I'm not saying that that is your problem but you never know!

Hi Gabbie! Just wishing you
    Hi Gabbie! Just wishing you good luck and hope you find some relief!

Hugs, Leeza
  • Gabbie99
    Options
    Sharon40 said:

yep!
    I felt the same way! My surgery was Jan. 22 and I can tell you that is what I felt as well! It is getting better, but the entire area is still VERY numb in parts. The underside of my arm has always been worse than the surgery site. I am a few weeks ahead of you and I can tell you it is better. Keep taking those pills and wear or prop your arm to get comfort! ((Hugs))

thanks to all
    Wow! I love opportunity to discuss this with others who really know what I am going through. Just knowing that someone else is one step ahead of me and getting better helps so much. I started stretching exercises this weekend and it does seem a little better today. Trying to be patient- definitely not my forte- but knowing that there is a chance that it will get better helps so much. Also knowing that there are drugs out there that will help if it doesn't is a comfort. I used to work out with weights 3 times a week and played volleyball. Hope some day to be able to just raise my arm over my head again!
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    I had a mastectomy on 1/5/10

I had a mastectomy on 1/5/10 with 10 nodes removed. My armpit felt terrible for several weeks and everything rubbed on it. I put corn starch in my armpit regularly throughout the day and it stopped the irritation. I also couldn't wear a bra for very long, now I can wear one all day. I did light massage on my arm almost daily, still do. I had pain in my elbow but that has also improved.

It does get better, I don't need the corn starch, I can lift my arm straight above my head. I can't throw anything, this I learnt when I threw a soft ball without thinking. I can carry stuff with that arm (not too heavy). For me, it really has improved and I am amazed how much better it is.

It probably just needs time. Hang in there.
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    Options
    what to wear because of pain
    Hi again Gabbie,
    I started buying camisoles that have a tube like bra inside and I wear those instead of a bra. I also purchased a foam breast form from TLC to put inside the tube in the camisole until I can get my prosthesis and it is much more comfortable. I cannot wear a bra yet either. I plan to wear the camisoles until the pain is not so untolerable. I might wear the bra and prosthesis 2-3 days a week or as much as I can. We do what we can and give the rest to God and know that in His time this will all be over with. Hang in there and know that this is a process and we all will get through it with God's grace.
    Lorrie
  • Gabbie99
    Options
    Balentine said:

what to wear because of pain
    Hi again Gabbie,
    I started buying camisoles that have a tube like bra inside and I wear those instead of a bra. I also purchased a foam breast form from TLC to put inside the tube in the camisole until I can get my prosthesis and it is much more comfortable. I cannot wear a bra yet either. I plan to wear the camisoles until the pain is not so untolerable. I might wear the bra and prosthesis 2-3 days a week or as much as I can. We do what we can and give the rest to God and know that in His time this will all be over with. Hang in there and know that this is a process and we all will get through it with God's grace.
    Lorrie

Thanks to all who posted replies here to give me faith and positive thoughts that this would get better. It is now 4 weeks post surgery and I am finally getting my mojo back!! Started to do a lot of stretching after reading Indsmom post and I do believe that helped tremendously. The skin sensitivity on the back of my arm is a little less and I can raise my arm overhead. (Never thought I would be able to do that again! Even went to the gym and did some weight work yesterday. Found a soft bra type thing that I can tolerate and stuffed a homemade prosthesis in it. My husband told me I looked great! I made it with a cut up maxi-pad and a sock. Thanks again for everyone's support here. Pain definitely not all gone yet and I know there will probably always be some weird numbness- but I feel I can handle where it's at now, even if there's no more improvement...and I know it takes months for nerves to repair so there will be improvement. I feel lucky....