First Mammogram post treatment.

Options
sgamtd
sgamtd Member Posts: 124
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi - not looking forward to this, after all those mammograms are a bit painful under normal circumstances for me, but since my breast seems swollen and sore most of the time I am concerned with the level of pain I will experience. Yes, I think I am being a baby about this, but would like to hear from others how their first post treatment mammograms went.
I noticed the order read diagnostic mammograms, not sure if these are different or if I had them before. Anyway, I have 5 days before I have to have these done, and of course hope to be dancing with NED after that. I was promised immediate results to carry to my b/c surgeon on the same day where I will have my 6 mo. check up, so at least no waiting this time.
sgamtd

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Coming up behind you
    I won't have my first post-treatment mammogram until April, so I don't have any experience to offer yet.

I did ask my oncologist how this would go, and he also said that this is considered a "diagnostic mammogram" -- which is good, because it means that it will be scheduled when the radiologist is onsite to read it right then and there, and I should have immediate results, as opposed to normal check-up mammograms, where you have to wait days or weeks for results. I think I'd need some heavy drugs to get me through if they had told me I had to wait days for the results of this first one.

My surgeon SWORE to me that they won't find anything -- from his mouth to God's ears! Be sure to let us know how yours goes!

Traci
  • Cairmaid
    Cairmaid Member Posts: 64
    Options
    I'm coming up from behind, too..wait, that didn't come out right
    I'm not looking forward to my first post-treament mammo, either. My surgeon said it would take 6 to 12 months to heal completely so they wait 6 months to get a clear image, without all the healing bumps and bruises and fluid pockets to get in the way. The 6-month-in-between mammo is labeled as diagnostic because you've already had a problem and they need to take a follow-up look. It's the same mammo you've had before, except it'll only be of the affected breast. My 6-month mammo =has= to be called diagnostic so the insurance company will cover it. Calling it "diagnostic" is only a paperwork technicality.
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Wondering how you made out....
    I feel like I'm smuggling a hockey puck so I am concerned about my first post surg/rad mammo coming up next month.

Sue
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Cairmaid said:

I'm coming up from behind, too..wait, that didn't come out right
    I'm not looking forward to my first post-treament mammo, either. My surgeon said it would take 6 to 12 months to heal completely so they wait 6 months to get a clear image, without all the healing bumps and bruises and fluid pockets to get in the way. The 6-month-in-between mammo is labeled as diagnostic because you've already had a problem and they need to take a follow-up look. It's the same mammo you've had before, except it'll only be of the affected breast. My 6-month mammo =has= to be called diagnostic so the insurance company will cover it. Calling it "diagnostic" is only a paperwork technicality.

I am not looking forward to
    I am not looking forward to my first mammo and ultrasound. I still have a few months before I get it. Hoping that yours goes well and that you get the best news!

Hugs, Leeza
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Wondering how you made out....
    I feel like I'm smuggling a hockey puck so I am concerned about my first post surg/rad mammo coming up next month.

Sue

Me too!
    I'm also coming due for my first one...15 Apr i have an MRI and mammo scheduled. MRI because that's how my cancern was found and mammo cause the radiologist said (I guess). I wasn't really nervous at first, but the closer it gets, the more nervous I'm getting. I'm also dreading the mammo as my breast still has a seroma and is tender on and off.

Julie