Sharing Best practices: How do you get better after treatment

Options
New Flower
New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
It is a very important question for survivors: How to get better physically and emotionally after treatment. While hormonal therapy is still a treatment, but in public in views surgery, Chemo, and Radiation are the active treatment. 12 months since I finished radiation I am still trying to get back (will I ever?) to what I was while keep looking for new me. My biggest problems:insomnia, energy, and multitasking.
The question is how do you cope with idea to get back to pre-BC conditions and your advice for finding New you.
How do you keep yourself healthy?
I improved my diet, have been getting acupuncture, walk every day 30 min and I am taking watercolor class.
Thanks

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the
    Sounds like you're on the right track. I just do what I have to do and don't worry about it.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    I'm focusing on exercise and good nutrition
    NewFlower, thank you for starting a thread on this important issue: So many of our friends and family think, "You're all done with treatment -- so you're back to normal now, right?"

NOT!

I'm 2 months out of radiation, which was preceded by chemo, which was preceded by surgery. I just can't get my energy back -- honestly, the 90-year-old women at my church can run circles around me now! I work full-time, and can make it through the workday, but, by the time I get home, all I can do is eat dinner and fall into bed by 7 or 8 every night. I have no social life anymore. My oncologist says I can expect the fatigue to last 6 months to a year.

So I've been reading every book I can get my hands on for cancer survivors. The recommendation everyone (including my oncologist) agrees on is exercise, exercise, exercise. I walk 30 min. every day on my lunch hour, and try to fit in some yoga, weights, and more walking on the weekends. I log my total exercise time every week -- just last week, I hit 5 hours, the most since my surgery!

The other common recommendation is focusing on good nutrition -- especially making sure you get plenty of protein, fruits and vegetables, and stay very well hydrated.

But I am not a patient woman -- :-) -- after 8 months of treatment (which felt like a year), 6 months to a year of recovery feels like 5 years. If anyone has any get-better-quick solutions to offer, I'm all ears!

:-) Traci
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Great post!
    I didn't have to go thru chemo, so I know that plays a big part into the fatigue factor and how long it takes to recover. Before all my biopsies and then surgical procedures, i was a runner...not huge, but I got in about 2 miles a day/4days week...some weights and crunches in there. Just couldn't do the running thing w/a sore boob and then couldn't do the running thing because I was exhuasted from rads. I felt like i really accomplished something with a 20 min walk on the treadmill.

I'm a month out of rads...my skin healed quickly and my energy level is coming back. I'm back at the gym/track, but not up to my norm by any stretch. I definitely think that excercise is critical, even if you are only able to do a little bit! My husband is an exercise physiologist and he really pushes people to do 'just a little'. The goal, obviously, is to build on that day by day. Healthy eating gives us the right building blocks for the healing that continues in our bodies. High sugar foods/high carb stuff tends to give you a quick sugar high, but is often followed by a sense of low energy. Frequent small meals also help.

Sounds like you ladies are doing the right things...your bodies just aren't moving as fast as you want them to! Blessings!
    Julie
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    jbug said:

Great post!
    I didn't have to go thru chemo, so I know that plays a big part into the fatigue factor and how long it takes to recover. Before all my biopsies and then surgical procedures, i was a runner...not huge, but I got in about 2 miles a day/4days week...some weights and crunches in there. Just couldn't do the running thing w/a sore boob and then couldn't do the running thing because I was exhuasted from rads. I felt like i really accomplished something with a 20 min walk on the treadmill.

I'm a month out of rads...my skin healed quickly and my energy level is coming back. I'm back at the gym/track, but not up to my norm by any stretch. I definitely think that excercise is critical, even if you are only able to do a little bit! My husband is an exercise physiologist and he really pushes people to do 'just a little'. The goal, obviously, is to build on that day by day. Healthy eating gives us the right building blocks for the healing that continues in our bodies. High sugar foods/high carb stuff tends to give you a quick sugar high, but is often followed by a sense of low energy. Frequent small meals also help.

Sounds like you ladies are doing the right things...your bodies just aren't moving as fast as you want them to! Blessings!
    Julie

I am not done but I think it
    I am not done but I think it is said that as long as treatment lasts is how long it takes to recover? This stuff batters the heck out of you makes sense. I know after i finished chemo i wanted to be better right away. I started to gain some energy at all in 3 weeks(just in time for surgery) and rads in 3 weeks. I guess just have to be patient and take care of yourself. I have started acupuncture and it has helped my mood definately.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    carkris said:

I am not done but I think it
    I am not done but I think it is said that as long as treatment lasts is how long it takes to recover? This stuff batters the heck out of you makes sense. I know after i finished chemo i wanted to be better right away. I started to gain some energy at all in 3 weeks(just in time for surgery) and rads in 3 weeks. I guess just have to be patient and take care of yourself. I have started acupuncture and it has helped my mood definately.

Thank you for this
    Thank you for this information. I just finished the rads, chemo, surgery, ect. I was also wondering when i was going to feel normal again.
  • Cairmaid
    Cairmaid Member Posts: 64
    Options
    I have never been "normal"
    I viewed my surgery/radiation as a vacation from work. I was very fortunate that I only had a lumpectomy and was able to have mammosite brachytherapy (accelerated, intense, internal radiation for only a week). I was still off work for a week after I finished radiation, so, WOO-HOO, I ate when I wanted, slept when I wanted, watched TV, read, hung out on Facebook and generally enjoyed myself.

Then, I had to go back to work.

My bra itched my burned skin, so I stopped wearing it (I can get away with it because I'm allowed to wear sweatshirts & jeans to work). I'm rather enjoying it.

Before surgery, I had been going to a massage therapist every other week to treat neck and back pain. Needless to say, I couldn't lay on my stomach so I didn't have (or need) a massage until my third day back to work. Stupid data entry tasks. I went for massages two weeks in a row, but the therapist let me stay on my back and she massaged my neck, arms and shoulders. I think I'm going to try lying on my stomach next time, back to normal.

The only thing that isn't normal is having to take a pill every day. I'm not very good at taking pills but these are small...I can handle it. I just need to REMEMBER to take it. My husband suggested that I set an alarm in my iPod touch to remind me, so I did. I use the "Robot" sound as my alarm, in honor of the robot that gave me my radiation treatment :-) Hey, if you can't have normal, at least have fun!
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Options
    Glad you started this thread! I've been worrying . . .
    I already tire so fast, and I'm only halfway through chemo and haven't started rads yet! If it just keeps getting worse, by the time I finish rads I won't be able to get out of bed! At least, that's my fear.

ooooops. I actually wrote something not positive.

Ummm . . .
  • dash4
    dash4 Member Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am NO expert...
    I am a newbie-diagnosed 2/1...lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy2/16...I am still in the surreal state with all of this. I have been a caregiver for my husband for 5 years of colon cancer, so I am not "new" to the cancer world, but so new to the shock of my own diagnosis. Anyhow, my son has had me practicing Qigong (I have a CD to follow to help me learn)-it is an Eastern medicine practice of your body and mind working together to get your "Qi" (inner life force) to heal you. Please don't quote my explanation--I am just learning, but I must say the practicing before my surgery was such a help and following surgery too. I cannot yet do the same stretching as before, but everyday is better than the one before. I know I am "hooked". It is like a meditation and an exercise -very empowering...it is helping me with my energy level again which is why I have added this info to your post. Hope this helps.
    Mary Kay
  • New Flower
    Options
    dash4 said:

I am NO expert...
    I am a newbie-diagnosed 2/1...lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy2/16...I am still in the surreal state with all of this. I have been a caregiver for my husband for 5 years of colon cancer, so I am not "new" to the cancer world, but so new to the shock of my own diagnosis. Anyhow, my son has had me practicing Qigong (I have a CD to follow to help me learn)-it is an Eastern medicine practice of your body and mind working together to get your "Qi" (inner life force) to heal you. Please don't quote my explanation--I am just learning, but I must say the practicing before my surgery was such a help and following surgery too. I cannot yet do the same stretching as before, but everyday is better than the one before. I know I am "hooked". It is like a meditation and an exercise -very empowering...it is helping me with my energy level again which is why I have added this info to your post. Hope this helps.
    Mary Kay

Thank you ladies
    for your input. I wish more pink sisters participate. I am sure everyone has its own way to recovery and integration to a normal life. Finding a NEW NORMAL everyone has to face and many have done it very successfully. As I am learning to be a patient woman I hope they will share with us.
    New Flower
  • bjmom1
    bjmom1 Member Posts: 152
    Options
    patience
    It take along time to be back to normal. We have to realize our body went through hell. It take awhile for your body to come back to normal. It took about 2 years for me to just feel almost normal. I still have lack of energy but, I learn how to listen to my body. Take your time and realize just like fighting BC was a process so is your recovery time. Listen to your body exercise eat right and aloud yourself time to heal. Just because the treatment is done the side effect from the treatment is not. I hope this help.
  • Flakey_Flake
    Flakey_Flake Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Won't Ever Be What I Was - Will Always Be Good Enough
    I hear all of you about the struggle to get the physical part back. I was dx 8/09, had lumpectomy, chemo, and fortunately don't have to have rads. My first A/C chemo knocked me right off my feet. My second chemo, herceptin/taxol wasn't as bad but had to quit early due to neuropathy in my fingers and toes. That was about two weeks ago. I feel pretty good, but just doing a few loads of laundry about knocks me out. I do all I can every day, and call it good. I just let my body and my heart guide me on that.

Something else I have heard of during recovery from breast cancer is depression. I became very depressed before and during treatment. My oncology nurse expressed concern that it could be an issue for me in recovery. So far so good. My herceptin therapy isn't causing much for SE, so feel like I should be becoming stronger, but it sure isn't coming back as fast as it left. I have heard of depression in recovery from other sources too. It has only been two weeks since my last taxol, so don't know exactly what to expect. I don't feel depressed any more than before. I would like more physical energy, and to be able to lose some weight, but if it takes a year, then that's what it takes. I can tell the effects of all the steroids in the anti nausea meds are starting to wear off. My face isn't as puffy, and the "horse collar" on my neck is going down. My taste buds are returning, and EVERYTHING tastes really good. (Yum Yum!) I am sleeping better at night, not every night, but still better. Am I odd for thinking there are brighter days ahead? Might be a long road to get there, but I am just so happy right now that the worst is behind me, I can't imagine becoming more depressed. I haven't had any tests yet to see if NED is my friend or not. But even if I don't get to dance with NED, I know I have done the best I can. It hasn't been the most fun I've ever had, but managed to find some good belly laughs at the whole thing. And I've had the awesome opportunity to see how truly caring people can be. Some people go through their entire life, and never get to see how love and caring shines in what may seem to be the darkest of times. I don't see this battle as a bad thing. Difficult, yes - bad, no. I have learned so much, and seen so many beautiful things in my weakness. Maybe I am not physically strong, and certainly don't feel physically anything close to pretty. But even if that never comes back, I wouldn't trade it for the other things I have learned from this long trip. I will do my best to get the physical things back, and it will be good enough. If cancer is what takes me out - well, something is going to take me out. And if it doesn't then I can only do the best I can at whatever my life brings. And the battle has made me stronger in other ways, so my best will be better than before. YAY!

My boyfriend of eight years has just learned he has throat cancer. He had his first chemo Friday. He helped me so much through my breast cancer, I don't know how I could have done it without him. Now I have the opportunity to support him through what will be his long and difficult trip. Would I have been as prepared to help him endure, if I hadn't had my experience? He has had other health problems, and believes his battle will be no worse than any other he has been through. He is scared, but pretends not to be. He is trying to be strong, and I know what he has to endure will test his strength. He has a very positive attitude, and wants to believe he can keep that attitude throughout the battle. Sometimes it is more difficult to be weak than it is to be strong. Maybe his battle will turn out as he believes. I don't know what the future brings, but I do know that my shoulder can now bear some things it couldn't before.

That is my new "normal". If anyone wants the old me, they will have to settle for memories, just like I have to. How can this experience NOT change us? Change is a part of life.

Carmaid, I love your line "If you can't have normal, at least have fun." It rocks!
  • New Flower
    Options

Won't Ever Be What I Was - Will Always Be Good Enough
    I hear all of you about the struggle to get the physical part back. I was dx 8/09, had lumpectomy, chemo, and fortunately don't have to have rads. My first A/C chemo knocked me right off my feet. My second chemo, herceptin/taxol wasn't as bad but had to quit early due to neuropathy in my fingers and toes. That was about two weeks ago. I feel pretty good, but just doing a few loads of laundry about knocks me out. I do all I can every day, and call it good. I just let my body and my heart guide me on that.

Something else I have heard of during recovery from breast cancer is depression. I became very depressed before and during treatment. My oncology nurse expressed concern that it could be an issue for me in recovery. So far so good. My herceptin therapy isn't causing much for SE, so feel like I should be becoming stronger, but it sure isn't coming back as fast as it left. I have heard of depression in recovery from other sources too. It has only been two weeks since my last taxol, so don't know exactly what to expect. I don't feel depressed any more than before. I would like more physical energy, and to be able to lose some weight, but if it takes a year, then that's what it takes. I can tell the effects of all the steroids in the anti nausea meds are starting to wear off. My face isn't as puffy, and the "horse collar" on my neck is going down. My taste buds are returning, and EVERYTHING tastes really good. (Yum Yum!) I am sleeping better at night, not every night, but still better. Am I odd for thinking there are brighter days ahead? Might be a long road to get there, but I am just so happy right now that the worst is behind me, I can't imagine becoming more depressed. I haven't had any tests yet to see if NED is my friend or not. But even if I don't get to dance with NED, I know I have done the best I can. It hasn't been the most fun I've ever had, but managed to find some good belly laughs at the whole thing. And I've had the awesome opportunity to see how truly caring people can be. Some people go through their entire life, and never get to see how love and caring shines in what may seem to be the darkest of times. I don't see this battle as a bad thing. Difficult, yes - bad, no. I have learned so much, and seen so many beautiful things in my weakness. Maybe I am not physically strong, and certainly don't feel physically anything close to pretty. But even if that never comes back, I wouldn't trade it for the other things I have learned from this long trip. I will do my best to get the physical things back, and it will be good enough. If cancer is what takes me out - well, something is going to take me out. And if it doesn't then I can only do the best I can at whatever my life brings. And the battle has made me stronger in other ways, so my best will be better than before. YAY!

My boyfriend of eight years has just learned he has throat cancer. He had his first chemo Friday. He helped me so much through my breast cancer, I don't know how I could have done it without him. Now I have the opportunity to support him through what will be his long and difficult trip. Would I have been as prepared to help him endure, if I hadn't had my experience? He has had other health problems, and believes his battle will be no worse than any other he has been through. He is scared, but pretends not to be. He is trying to be strong, and I know what he has to endure will test his strength. He has a very positive attitude, and wants to believe he can keep that attitude throughout the battle. Sometimes it is more difficult to be weak than it is to be strong. Maybe his battle will turn out as he believes. I don't know what the future brings, but I do know that my shoulder can now bear some things it couldn't before.

That is my new "normal". If anyone wants the old me, they will have to settle for memories, just like I have to. How can this experience NOT change us? Change is a part of life.

Carmaid, I love your line "If you can't have normal, at least have fun." It rocks!

Having fun
    I like this idea too.Flakey, sorry for your boyfriend's diagnosis.
    Thank you everyone again. We have a sunny day weather today. So I am leaving my weekend 2 miles walk and have fun!!
    New Flower
  • New Flower
    Options

Having fun
    I like this idea too.Flakey, sorry for your boyfriend's diagnosis.
    Thank you everyone again. We have a sunny day weather today. So I am leaving my weekend 2 miles walk and have fun!!
    New Flower

Have you done your 30 min walk today?
    I have not yet. But I will. I read that walking and observing life around you can help re-wire neuron connection lost via Chemo brain. So walking and exercising should improve both physical and mental elements of recovery.
    Wishing everyone a good weather today!
    New Flower