Long process....

Options
rene9
rene9 Member Posts: 214
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I didn't realize because I had a mastectomy last December with an expander placed, am having chemo now(a total of 6)(that I won't finish until May 7th since I have 4 more to go 3 wks apart), and just had my last filling for the expander...But, I have to wait until after chemo for the silicone exchange and I will have to wait even longer, months, about 6 months if I have completed radiation before the silicone exchange. So, I'm looking at around Christmas before this whole process is complete?!!!

rene9

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry Rene that all
    I am so sorry Rene that all of this will take so long for you. Hang in there!

Sue :)
  • CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Options
    Sorry
    I am so sorry they did not go over the time frame with you. Unfortunately, that is what it takes. My daughter's wedding is 8/7/10 and I was hoping to have it done by then, but my plastic surgeon said, No, but they make really good bras.

So, in the scheme of things is seems like a really long time. But you will be looking forward to the new girls in no time.

Smiles to you - Carrie
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    Hang In There
    Hang in there. You will get through it. It does take time but you will get through it. We will be here every step of the way.

P
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    I hear ya!! I had a

I hear ya!! I had a mastectomy Jan. 5th with flap reconstruction and found out that the follow up reconstructive surgery can't happen until at least 2 months after chemo and rads. I start chemo tomorrow and rads in Sept. Hmmm... I was hoping to be done before the end of the year, might not be so. I still have to have Hercepton until May of next year. I really get the long process. Hang in there. We are all hanging in there with you as well.
  • rene9
    Options

I hear ya!! I had a

I hear ya!! I had a mastectomy Jan. 5th with flap reconstruction and found out that the follow up reconstructive surgery can't happen until at least 2 months after chemo and rads. I start chemo tomorrow and rads in Sept. Hmmm... I was hoping to be done before the end of the year, might not be so. I still have to have Hercepton until May of next year. I really get the long process. Hang in there. We are all hanging in there with you as well.

Thanks Mariam!
    And thanks you guys I actually feel better that I'm not alone!

rene9
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    rene9 said:

Thanks Mariam!

rene9

Yeah I had my surgery and
    Yeah I had my surgery and expander put in last April 2009 and will get it out and the implant put in March 16th 2010....and I still have to have a 2nd surgery in April to reduce the other breast and get the nipple tatoo....it's a long slow process....but you'll get there...
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    rene9 said:

Thanks Mariam!

rene9

Sometimes it does seem to
    Sometimes it does seem to take forever. Sending you good luck and lots of prayers!

Hugs, Leeza
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    jnl said:

Sometimes it does seem to
    Sometimes it does seem to take forever. Sending you good luck and lots of prayers!

Hugs, Leeza

It is a long process
    I had double mastectomy 2/2/09 with tissue expanders then started chemo 3/10 finished chemo 7/23. Plastic surgeon said exchange will be done 3 or more months after last chemo. I had my exchange 11/10. Nipple reconstruction 2/16/10 and then in 6-8 weeks tattooing.

So it is a long process if we feel we need or want to look more like we did before surgery. I know some ladies have chosen not to have reconstruction but it is a personal choice for each of us and always for different reasons.

Hugs,
    Margo
  • rene9
    Options

It is a long process
    I had double mastectomy 2/2/09 with tissue expanders then started chemo 3/10 finished chemo 7/23. Plastic surgeon said exchange will be done 3 or more months after last chemo. I had my exchange 11/10. Nipple reconstruction 2/16/10 and then in 6-8 weeks tattooing.

So it is a long process if we feel we need or want to look more like we did before surgery. I know some ladies have chosen not to have reconstruction but it is a personal choice for each of us and always for different reasons.

Hugs,
    Margo

I hope...
    I hope I just have to wait 3 or 4 months. But, I doubt if I do the nipple and tatoo part. Thanks!

rene9
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    rene9 said:

I hope...
    I hope I just have to wait 3 or 4 months. But, I doubt if I do the nipple and tatoo part. Thanks!

rene9

Waiting seems like forever
    Waiting seems like forever for our treatments sometimes. I hope that it goes quickly for you. Just come here and vent if it helps you. So many of us understand exactly how you feel.