question about CEAs going up

Options
lostit2003
lostit2003 Member Posts: 53
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I need some more help guys. Hubby had his CEA level checked today, it was 320 that's up from 178 in dec when we was dx and 197 early Jan. He has had 2 folfox treatments (they started the Avastin today). Dr. says don't get too worried yet, he has seen this before, go up at first and then back down. He says they will recheck in a month and if it isn't coming down then we may have to talk about other options. So now I need to hear from all you been there done that people. What do you think?

Thanks,
Tina

Comments

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    CEA

I hope they also explained that cancer cells dump CEA when
    they die off.

Any abundance of cancer cells dying at one time, will raise the
    CEA level appreciably.

But.... the CEA level doesn't mean anything without numerous
    other raised markers along with it.

Don't get your fur up until they tell you something positive,
    and even then..... it is only their -opinion-. You can go get
    other opinions to make sure you have the real facts.

Don't worry about the future, take care of today first.

And think healthy!

John
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Tina
    CEAs can go up as a result of chemo for the cancer cells could be "dying off" and as they do so they may express more of the antigen. I would listen to your doctor and wait to see what next month brings. Many oncologists don't even pull CEAs during treatment as the chemo can cause it to fluctuate. Your husband's scan is going to be the real indicator of how treatment is working.

I wish you both all the best,
    Amy
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    Tina
    Take a deep breath, like the others said, it can go up and down and up again. Listen to your oncologist. Avastin will make a difference so I'm glad they are starting that. I won't tell you not to worry but I have taken the approach that I will worry when there is something to worry about otherwise I drive myself crazy reading these test results. Take care - Tina
  • lostit2003
    lostit2003 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help and calming a newbie's nerves.

Tina
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    CEA
    They vary so much in people that they really are not an accurate marker.
    I think most of us feel the same way.
    Relax...
    -p
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options

Thanks
    Thanks for the help and calming a newbie's nerves.

Tina

Worry
    Oh us caregivers never stop worrying. George's CEA was at the start of this mess 596, it has come down, down, to 17.1 then the next CEA was 17.4 which is no big deal a big nothing but did that worry start to creep in, you bet, so I had to give myself one big reality check and the nurse reassured George to reassure me that this was nothing at all to worry about. Ups and downs, I hate this disease. Tina