Libby - Chemo Update

Options
LPack
LPack Member Posts: 645
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Was unable to have chemo February 15th because of low platelets. Then unable to have chemo yesterday as platelet counts from Sunday were still 6,000 to low.

Dr. J had me take blood counts again Monday plus CA125. Actually platelets went up 11,000 more and I COULD have had chemo. CA125 still climbing from 12.2, 28 and now 35.2. Saw doctor today and having chemo tomorrow.

Happy 54th Birthday to me!! LOL! My sister had asked me if I wanted to do something this week for my birthday. I called her on my way back home from Pittsburg and said want to do something with me tomorrow on my bd? She said sure and I said want to go to chemo with me!! Of course she said yes. But first time she went, two times ago, was when I had my allergic reaction to cisplatin (now on carboplatin)! And still gemzar. Reducing carbo by 22% for tomorrow.

Anyways, doctor felt small nodule back on rectosigmoid junction. Husband asked what her professional outlook was and she said 1-2 years. That did not bother me (he asked, she said). With my bone marrow so slow to recuperate between chemos, I have been off and that gives cancer cells time to keep growing or whatever they do. We did discuss a bone marrow transplant.

She suggested Dr. Copeland at James Center, Columbus, Ohio. We are going to check into that as I have never talked to anyone else. My oncologist is in private practice. And we did talk a little about alternative medications, etc.

She also said she has never in all her years of practice saw anyone as positive as me (we know why - He lives within my heart)! She also told us she would have been dead by now as she would have given up. Hard if you don't have hope!

Well, that is where I am now. Sometimes you wonder about this chemo with the damage it does to the bone marrow and other things. But I know for most of you, you have been able to keep your CBC normal. I really don't understand why mine go down so much. Especially with all these shots that are supposedly to keep the counts up.

Really the Neulasta works great with side effects of bone and muscle pain. But the Neumega is the pits for the platelets. Swelling and red eyes, running nose. And I really don't see that it works that much. ☺

Enough ranting and raving. Better get ready for making the trip back to Pittsburg. Leaving at 5:50 am. I think a nice hot jacuzzi and a good book is what I need.

Love you ladies,
Libby ☺♥

Comments

• leesag
    leesag Member Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Libby!
    Happy Birthday hon!

I hope you have an amazing birthday, chemo and all! I have to confess, I've spent the day alternately feeling sad, scared, optimistic, and angry; and, after reading your post, I am humbled. I need to work on handing the hard stuff over to Him and finding some peace. You are an amazingly strong woman, and an inspiration!

A hot jacuzzi and a good book sounds wonderful and I'll say some extra prayers for your birthday tomorrow and for your platelets!

Hugs!

Leesa
  • Mawty
    Mawty Member Posts: 133
    Options
    Prayers for you
    Libby, happy birthday. I want you to know that I am praying for you -- for peace and I'm praying for your husband. This is really hard on our husbands. Sometimes I think we can hear things like you heard today and take it much better than them.

Blessings,

Marty
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Mawty said:

Prayers for you
    Libby, happy birthday. I want you to know that I am praying for you -- for peace and I'm praying for your husband. This is really hard on our husbands. Sometimes I think we can hear things like you heard today and take it much better than them.

Blessings,

Marty

You are an inspiration to
    You are an inspiration to all, Libby. Never, ever give up! That's my motto, too. If God sees fit to heal me, I will be healed. Simple as that.

I agree with Marty that our husbands are seldom as strong as we are. Last week my doctor used the term "survival time" and my husband still hasn't stopped shaking.
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options

You are an inspiration to
    You are an inspiration to all, Libby. Never, ever give up! That's my motto, too. If God sees fit to heal me, I will be healed. Simple as that.

I agree with Marty that our husbands are seldom as strong as we are. Last week my doctor used the term "survival time" and my husband still hasn't stopped shaking.

Happy Birthday!
    Libby, you are an inspiration and gift. I hope the time with your sister is rich and your blood is ready for you to have the chemo.

I know my husband is strong, but just processes a bit slower than I do, and in a whole different way. Well, that is probably a subject for a whole new thread one day:)

Love to you!
    kathleen

PS Carlene, got a chuckle out of the image of your husband "still shaking". Gotta love em' though for what they go through!!
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Options
    Happy Birthday
    Hi Libby,

Happy Birthday wishes to you and many prayers for you as well.

I feel the same way, it's either do you let cancer control every aspect of your life? Or you going to be grateful for the time we have been and utilize that time to find joy each and every day.

Another challange that is cancer.

Stay strong, as you have been.

Sharon,