new to group

Options
Diana77
Diana77 Member Posts: 16
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi I am new to the group also and I am 37years old. I had a lumpecctomy 1.8 cm tumor with five lymph nodes removed on Jan 25th.. lymph nodes negative. Estrogen positive and anxiously still waiting on the oncotyping to determine needing chemo or not. My armpit hurts and it feels like there is a rope funning up towards my arm and down my arm. I start physical therapy on Friday. Is this normal? Does anyone know how long does chemo take and how long should the oncotype take. I was feeling pretty positive, but the wait has worn me down :(

Comments

• Minuz
    Minuz Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Welcome and don't stress.
    Welcome and don't stress. The feeling of tightness is normal whenever nodes are removed I have found. I have had nodes removed with a masectomy and the tightness is something that can be overcome with exercise. I now had reconstruction and am going through the same tightness again. They tell you to walk your fingers up a wall as far as you can and everyday you will see that you will get further and this does loosen up that tightness. The rehab people will give you a list of exercises be diligent and do them everyday and you will see it does work. Keep the faith and just follow the dr.'s instructions. Hang in there.
    Minuz
  • Diana77
    Options
    Minuz said:

Welcome and don't stress.
    Welcome and don't stress. The feeling of tightness is normal whenever nodes are removed I have found. I have had nodes removed with a masectomy and the tightness is something that can be overcome with exercise. I now had reconstruction and am going through the same tightness again. They tell you to walk your fingers up a wall as far as you can and everyday you will see that you will get further and this does loosen up that tightness. The rehab people will give you a list of exercises be diligent and do them everyday and you will see it does work. Keep the faith and just follow the dr.'s instructions. Hang in there.
    Minuz

tightness
    Thanks for the advice. I've been trying to stretch a bit anyway, but that really is getting the tight spot. Thanks.
  • Diana77
    Options
    I was also wondering if
    I was also wondering if there is a time period when you should start chemo after surgery. This is week five and the oncotypping isn't in . Or does it matter?
  • WJGardner_Dec2009
    Options
    Diana77 said:

I was also wondering if
    I was also wondering if there is a time period when you should start chemo after surgery. This is week five and the oncotypping isn't in . Or does it matter?

Chemo
    I had surgery Jan 5, 2010 and my first chemo treatment Feb 17,2010. I got a little worried thinking that the cancer taken out would start growing again if didn't chemo soon. The docters wanted me to be fully healed from surgery, I am thinking, plus they had a PORT placed in my chest for the invusions. That gave time for that to heal also. So I guess they know what they are doing. My first round went well, at least so far. I go again tomorrow for the another treatment, this time just the herceptine.

Wanda
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Diana77 said:

tightness
    Thanks for the advice. I've been trying to stretch a bit anyway, but that really is getting the tight spot. Thanks.

Hi Diana! Exercising will
    Hi Diana! Exercising will help a lot. My plastic surgeon gave me a booklet with the exercises I should do, or, you could see a physical therapist to help you. Good luck!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Diana, I just wanted to
    Diana, I just wanted to welcome you to the group. I, too, had a lumpectomy but didn't experience the tightness you described. I think a couple of the other responses covered your question on that. As far as how long chemo takes, I believe it will depend on your "cocktail". I had Taxotere/Cytoxan and it took around 3-4 hours. I did not have a port because I only had 4 infusions and have very good veins. Estrogen positive cancer is slow growing and therefore there is not the rush to start chemo immediately. Your doctor waiting for the oncotype testing makes perfect sense. I hope that you do not need chemo but if you do, it's nothing like you may have seen in the movies. It's all very doable nowadays and there are medications given before the chemo drugs to hopefully avoid the "bad" side effects. Continue to post and we'll be here to offer our support, encouragement and knowledge. Take care and good luck!!
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    Welcome
    Welcome to the site. The PT people should be able to help with how your arm feels. Hang in there.

P
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Options
    Hi Diana and welcome to the
    Hi Diana and welcome to the boards....everything you are feeling is all normal. You will be just fine, take it one step at a time and ask lots of questions to your doctors. We are here for you 24/7 if you need us. As for your arm, I'm struggling with my right now too, I'm going to run it by my doc today, I had all nodes, double mastectomy, and both ovaries two weeks ago. Keep us posted and once again WELCOME
    (((big hugs)))
    Kari
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Options
    by the way, i'm 38, were
    by the way, i'm 38, were young aren't we? Also wanted to tell you that the wait will wear you down, it's tough waiting. What helped me was to focus on one thing at a time and not think of the unknown, no sense worrying about what we don't know, take care of you, keep your spirits up and take it one day at a time.
    Hang in there :)
    ~Kari
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Chemo
    I had surgery Jan 5, 2010 and my first chemo treatment Feb 17,2010. I got a little worried thinking that the cancer taken out would start growing again if didn't chemo soon. The docters wanted me to be fully healed from surgery, I am thinking, plus they had a PORT placed in my chest for the invusions. That gave time for that to heal also. So I guess they know what they are doing. My first round went well, at least so far. I go again tomorrow for the another treatment, this time just the herceptine.

Wanda

Just want to welcome you to
    Just want to welcome you to the site Diana! Good luck to you!

HUGS