Lapatinib/Tykerb - Clinical trial for Her2+ - Anyone participating?

Options
mariam_11_09
mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my oncologist contact me with regards to a clinical trial that I qualify for (must be Her2+). Apparently not all Her2+ patients respond to Hercepton and so they are trying to figure out why. They (GSK) have come up with another drug Lapatinib (Tykerb) and a clinical trial is being conducted. There are 4 categories:

1.Standard treatment with Hercepton for one year.
2.Lapatinib alone for one year.
3.Hercepton for 12 weeks followed by Lapatinib for 34 weeks.
4.Hercepton and Lapatinib taken togehter for one year.

Patients don't have a choice about what group they end up in, it is a random process. The true benefits of taking Lapatinib instead of Herception or with Hercepton is not known or even if Lapatinib will work at all. And there is no telling what the side affects of Lapatinib or Hercepton and Lapatinib will be although they have some ideas.

But then there is no guarrantee that Hercepton is going to work either however it has been around a little longer.

Curious to know if anyone else has been approached by their doctor for this clinical trial and if anyone has said yes or no.

thanks
Mariam

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    I am not Her2 positive
    I would not take a risk. If you know that you are not responding to Hercepton, you can go to experimental drug. It is your decision and I just give my opinion,
    New Flower
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options

I am not Her2 positive
    I would not take a risk. If you know that you are not responding to Hercepton, you can go to experimental drug. It is your decision and I just give my opinion,
    New Flower

New Flower thanks. It is my
    New Flower thanks. It is my opinion as well, that is the risk is not worth it. I might have considered if it were guarranteed I could take new drug along with Herceptin or the new drug Genentech is coming up with which is Herceptin plus more.

I am going to run it by a friend who works in biotech and is a walking encyclopedia of chemos however the chances of me signing up for it are pretty remote at this point.
  • SunnieC
    SunnieC Member Posts: 37
    Options

New Flower thanks. It is my
    New Flower thanks. It is my opinion as well, that is the risk is not worth it. I might have considered if it were guarranteed I could take new drug along with Herceptin or the new drug Genentech is coming up with which is Herceptin plus more.

I am going to run it by a friend who works in biotech and is a walking encyclopedia of chemos however the chances of me signing up for it are pretty remote at this point.

I am on the trial
    If you would like to contact me personally I can be reached by e-mail at littletonsunnie@comcast.net
  • terri805
    terri805 Member Posts: 122
    Options
    hercepton trial
    I was asked by my oncologist if I wanted to participate in the clinical trial for the use of hercepton for women dx with DCIS. I had two lumpectomies in one month and I am getting ready to start rads on March 8th. He said that they would have to see if I was HER+ first to be eligible for the trial. He also said it was a 50/50 chance that I would be given the Hercepton or a placebo. He said it was like a lottery as to who actually gets it. I chose to not participate because he said on of the side effects is heart problems and I already have CAD.Plus I didn't want to go through all the extra testing and appts and the procedures required to participate in something that I might be getting a placebo for or if I got the real thing would it even work or cause me heart problems. My oncologist said that Hercepton has shown to be helpful in women with invasive breast cancer as to having no reacurance but is still being studied for DCIS.
  • 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    terri805 said:

hercepton trial
    I was asked by my oncologist if I wanted to participate in the clinical trial for the use of hercepton for women dx with DCIS. I had two lumpectomies in one month and I am getting ready to start rads on March 8th. He said that they would have to see if I was HER+ first to be eligible for the trial. He also said it was a 50/50 chance that I would be given the Hercepton or a placebo. He said it was like a lottery as to who actually gets it. I chose to not participate because he said on of the side effects is heart problems and I already have CAD.Plus I didn't want to go through all the extra testing and appts and the procedures required to participate in something that I might be getting a placebo for or if I got the real thing would it even work or cause me heart problems. My oncologist said that Hercepton has shown to be helpful in women with invasive breast cancer as to having no reacurance but is still being studied for DCIS.

Lapatinib
    I am on a GSK trail with Lapatinib. You can PM me and I'll be happy to tell you the details. Surf