Femera

Options
aztec45
aztec45 Member Posts: 757
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Gang,

I don't want to be a whiny cry baby, especially when ladies on the board are dealing with more complex and serious issues; but, this Femera is really putting it to me. My shins, calfs, and lower back are killing me. I move around and feel like a 90 year old woman. I am also kind of dizzy (not that I wasn't already.) I have been told that "I will get used to this" but I don't know. I am wondering if taking this drug is worth the reduction of recurrance. What do you guys think.

P

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    In the end the decision is
    In the end the decision is up to you. Have you talked to your onc about something that might help? I was having trouble with my hip while on Aromasin and I took glucosamine chondroitin and it really helped. Before taking anything check with your onc. Your onc can also change to another drug to see if you react better but talk to him/her.
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

In the end the decision is
    In the end the decision is up to you. Have you talked to your onc about something that might help? I was having trouble with my hip while on Aromasin and I took glucosamine chondroitin and it really helped. Before taking anything check with your onc. Your onc can also change to another drug to see if you react better but talk to him/her.

I don't really know what to say!
    As Marcia said it is really your decision and we are lucky that we have estrogen positive tumors. For me Femara is worth taking. However, some words of encouragement. I have been on it for maybe 6 months or more. Initially the pain and side effects really got me down. I have to say that they are now decreasing. I know that is not true for everyone...some people crescendo and others have it all the while. For me right now...I don't feel right, but I have decided to live with it. I hope that helps some. I'll be thinking of you.
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My symptoms are exactly the
    My symptoms are exactly the same as yours after being on femera for 2 weeks. My back hurts so bad I can barely walk and my legs are killing me. I called my cancer surgeon today to get his opinion on taking these drugs and am awaiting a call back. I have already tried arimidex and had the same issues.. I thought maybe my symptoms are worse b/c I have rheumetoid arthritis but after reading your post I know it is not just me.

Dot
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Options
    Dot53 said:

My symptoms are exactly the
    My symptoms are exactly the same as yours after being on femera for 2 weeks. My back hurts so bad I can barely walk and my legs are killing me. I called my cancer surgeon today to get his opinion on taking these drugs and am awaiting a call back. I have already tried arimidex and had the same issues.. I thought maybe my symptoms are worse b/c I have rheumetoid arthritis but after reading your post I know it is not just me.

Dot

Femara and side effects
    When I was diagnosed with breast cancer, the original plan was for me to have some sort of chemotherapy. The dr even ordered the IV port. However, once all the tests were done...MRI's, bone scan, ct scan...they showed mets to bone. The dr changed my treatment to Femara, with a monthly infusion of zometa to keep my bones strong. I have been very fortunate that so far I have only mild side effects. If I sit a while, I'm stiff and achey when I start moving again, but that goes away quickly & I'm fine. Occasionally I feel lightheaded, but only briefly. I have some trouble with short term memory, but that is also mild. So I can say I have been tolerating the Femara very well, and will probably continue with it until it is no longer effective in controlling my cancer.
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    Options

Femara and side effects
    When I was diagnosed with breast cancer, the original plan was for me to have some sort of chemotherapy. The dr even ordered the IV port. However, once all the tests were done...MRI's, bone scan, ct scan...they showed mets to bone. The dr changed my treatment to Femara, with a monthly infusion of zometa to keep my bones strong. I have been very fortunate that so far I have only mild side effects. If I sit a while, I'm stiff and achey when I start moving again, but that goes away quickly & I'm fine. Occasionally I feel lightheaded, but only briefly. I have some trouble with short term memory, but that is also mild. So I can say I have been tolerating the Femara very well, and will probably continue with it until it is no longer effective in controlling my cancer.

Femara
    I'm new to this board - didn't even know it exsisted till about a month ago. I'm amazed at all the information out here and all the ladies (and men) on this site who support each other. I just wish someone had told me about this board two years ago! I was diagnosed exactly two years ago. I had a mascectomy and was diagnosed Stage 1, node negative and further testing showed I had a low recurrance risk. My onc put me on Femara which I stuck with for awhile but I had severe muscle and joint pain - it was not good during the day but was even worse at night. Next I tried Amimidex and I think that might have been worse if possible! Last fall my onc said that quality of life is important too so she put me on Tamoxifen. That has made a world of difference in my aches and pains altho I probably have more hot flashes. It makes you feel better just knowing that others have also had problems with these drugs. Somehow I think I felt that since I didn't do chemo or rads I should just deal with the pain and that maybe it was just me. Nice to know there are others out there.

Thanks to all for sharing.....
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

Femara
    I'm new to this board - didn't even know it exsisted till about a month ago. I'm amazed at all the information out here and all the ladies (and men) on this site who support each other. I just wish someone had told me about this board two years ago! I was diagnosed exactly two years ago. I had a mascectomy and was diagnosed Stage 1, node negative and further testing showed I had a low recurrance risk. My onc put me on Femara which I stuck with for awhile but I had severe muscle and joint pain - it was not good during the day but was even worse at night. Next I tried Amimidex and I think that might have been worse if possible! Last fall my onc said that quality of life is important too so she put me on Tamoxifen. That has made a world of difference in my aches and pains altho I probably have more hot flashes. It makes you feel better just knowing that others have also had problems with these drugs. Somehow I think I felt that since I didn't do chemo or rads I should just deal with the pain and that maybe it was just me. Nice to know there are others out there.

Thanks to all for sharing.....

My opinion
    maybe Tamoxifen will be better for you. Talk to your oncologist and depending on your age and menopausal status Tamoxifen could be a choice. I am going to be on Tamoxifen for two years and then try Femara
    Sorry for severe side effects
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    Thank You
    Thanks, Gang for all of the input and support. I will try some of your suggestions and take it from there.

Thanks, again,

P
  • trooper52
    trooper52 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Femara and Bone Density Drugs
    I will be starting Femara in about a week but have joined a clinical trial for Clodronate (or Bonefos, similar to Fosamax) with Vitamin D & Calcium supplements (3 weeks ago). Had mild headaches in the beginning that have gone away.

Oncologist said the bone density drugs & supplements may help to reduce the pains you were referring to and perhaps ward off bone loss, but they are primarily looking at prevention of cancer recurrence in the bone. I am currently at the end of radiation and the Stage II/Her-2+ cancer is not metastisized. Sorry for the trouble you're having and I am very nervous now that the time is coming near for Femara. I too have felt like a whiny baby over other symptoms but when it hurts, it hurts! Hang in there!