NEED WEEKLY SUPPORT - JOINED WEIGHT WATCHERS LAST WEEK

Options
Different Ballgame
Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I’m biting the bullet, bearing my soul, and announcing my true weight. Last week I joined Weight Watchers again. I am a Life Time member. Weighed in at 240 lbs.4.oz. . Yesterday first week to weigh-in yield a loss of 2 lbs. 8 ounces. Now weigh 237 lbs. 6 oz. I walked a total of 4 days. Three of those days were 1 hour per day and one day was 40 minutes. I am 69 years old, 5 feet tall (lost 1-1/4 inches within the last decade)

Every week I am going to announce my weigh in so I stay on track.

I have 3 goals to keep me on the true and narrow.

1. I don’t want to waddle like a duck when I walk. Quack! Quack!
2. I don’t want to be winded when I walk fast. I tried to be discreet when I was experiencing “out of breath” saga.
3. I don’t want my stomach to protrude further out than my breasts. I bet no one has admitted to this fact.

I hope this works. For me, it is important to lose weight and to exercise. I plan on walking a minimum of 5 days, 1 hour per day.

I need every tool I can think of to stay with Weight Watchers and to exercise 5 days a week. This site is one of my my incentives. Even if no one reads my weigh ins, the fact that I have broadcast them should be a major factor in helping me lose weight. I have a long stretch ahead of me.

Determined,
Janelle

P.S. March 3 will be my second visit with my medical oncologist. So far I have not taken any chemo treatment. I did finish 31 rads January 19, 2010.

Comments

• Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Good luck to you Janelle!
    Good luck to you Janelle! And, congrats on finishing rads!

Megan
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Janelle,
    You are so brave! I

Janelle,

You are so brave! I need to lose weight and I thought, with 3 months off work FMLA, that I would be able to do it.

Surgery was a breeze, but the uncertainty of facing a port & chemo (which I ended up not doing) left me very depressed and then I started rads. I am so wiped out. This week I finally lost 1.5 lbs - due to the fact that I have no energy to forage.

While I won't admit my weight (too vain) I will admit that I don't want a bigger tummy than breasts, no matter what they look like.

I'm sure with your determination, you will do just fine.

Sue
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Janelle,
    You are so brave! I

Janelle,

You are so brave! I need to lose weight and I thought, with 3 months off work FMLA, that I would be able to do it.

Surgery was a breeze, but the uncertainty of facing a port & chemo (which I ended up not doing) left me very depressed and then I started rads. I am so wiped out. This week I finally lost 1.5 lbs - due to the fact that I have no energy to forage.

While I won't admit my weight (too vain) I will admit that I don't want a bigger tummy than breasts, no matter what they look like.

Sue

Good for you.
    You go girl. I wish you the best. Good luck.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Janelle,
    You are so brave! I

Janelle,

Sue

Wishing you luck Janelle!

Wishing you luck Janelle!
  • aimee
    aimee Member Posts: 8
    Options
    GO JANELLE GO!
    ive been off the board for a while...
    Good for you Janelle!
    the hardest part is the first step, the first day of excercising!
    I had a personal trainer that i saw religiously 3 times a week before my diagnosis & although i tried to keep up (i thought) 3 days became 2, then 2 became 1, then 1 became "maybe next week" until i hadnt shown up for almost 2 months until 2 weeks ago i had a message on my phone from my trainer that simply said..."HEY FATASS GET IN HERE & DO WHAT YOU CAN" (long pause....click) well believe me i was in there the next morning in an oversize t-shirt & my sons baggy sweats. probably the hardrest hour ive had in a long time but atleast i was tired & felt like i had accomplished something, instead of just tired.
    Keep up the good work!
    GOOD JOB!
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    aimee said:

GO JANELLE GO!
    ive been off the board for a while...
    Good for you Janelle!
    the hardest part is the first step, the first day of excercising!
    I had a personal trainer that i saw religiously 3 times a week before my diagnosis & although i tried to keep up (i thought) 3 days became 2, then 2 became 1, then 1 became "maybe next week" until i hadnt shown up for almost 2 months until 2 weeks ago i had a message on my phone from my trainer that simply said..."HEY FATASS GET IN HERE & DO WHAT YOU CAN" (long pause....click) well believe me i was in there the next morning in an oversize t-shirt & my sons baggy sweats. probably the hardrest hour ive had in a long time but atleast i was tired & felt like i had accomplished something, instead of just tired.
    Keep up the good work!
    GOOD JOB!

You go girl!
    Believe me I can relate to your weight...and I lost 30 lbs during chemo. I've had such a good time being able to eat again since New Years but the party is over for me too. If I want a new fake boob before my year is up in Oct (for ins to buy a new one) I have to lose 30 more and then they'll buy a new one. It's funny cause I have to put stuffing in my real boob side of the bra cause it's smaller than the fake one now...

Exercise is the key and I haven't pushed myself for that but you have inspired me. Please keep posting weekly... keep this up and by summer you'll be a real babe!

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Options
    Good luck!
    I wish you the best, Janelle. I used to work out every morning for over 7 years before my diagnosis. Although I've pretty much stayed positive even from the beginning, somehow exercising didn't seem important anymore. I've put on over 20 lbs since June o9. I'm planning to start by walking. Initially, I'll be happy if I can make it around my block! The warm weather coming back is a real incentive to get going.

Please keep posting & letting us know how you're doing. It will be an inspiration to me and many others I'm sure.
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    weight watchers.
    Hi Janelle.I am also doing WW.I started two weeks ago.I have a long ways to go also. Would you like a diet buddy?I also am determend to loss the weight.While dealing with Cancer I would eat what I wanted and packed on a lot of weight.I lost all my weight with WW. several years ago.So I know it works if I stick with it.I don,t know if I am brave enough to post my weight.I weigh more then you.Maybe we can PM each other every week about our weight loss.Sounds like we have alott in common.I am also taking the Cancer pill for 5yrs.Just let me known if you are interested.You can Pm me or add to this post.I will check back later. (Pat).
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Marlene_K said:

Good luck!
    I wish you the best, Janelle. I used to work out every morning for over 7 years before my diagnosis. Although I've pretty much stayed positive even from the beginning, somehow exercising didn't seem important anymore. I've put on over 20 lbs since June o9. I'm planning to start by walking. Initially, I'll be happy if I can make it around my block! The warm weather coming back is a real incentive to get going.

Please keep posting & letting us know how you're doing. It will be an inspiration to me and many others I'm sure.

Hooray for a " weight
    Hooray for a " weight looser". I call myself a WW lifetime drop out. I think about getting back on the program, but need to get thru this chemo. So far my weight has fluctuated within 5 pounds. I go down 2 or 3 then up 2. If I had any energy to walk or exercise I think the weight would have gone down a bit. I am mostly a couch potato right now. I'll be happy when that changes. I do get an occasional spurt of energy but it doesnt last very long.

Janelle your motivation and weekly check ins with the boards could be an incentive for me. Please keep us updated. wishing you the best with your determination to have your stomach smaller than your top.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Janelle, all I can say is
    Janelle, all I can say is You Go Girl!! You have taken the first step and that was joining WW. I think they have the best plan going. You continue to eat "normal" foods and it is something that you can continue well beyond reaching your goal. You put your weight on one pound at a time and that's just how you'll have to lose it. I can read the determination in your post and I know you will be successful. I'll be rooting for you!! Good luck!!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    I am sooo proud of you! I
    I am sooo proud of you! I know we are anonymous, but in some ways we are very personally connected, aren't we?

Congratulations to you for taking this brave step~ how empowering! I do believe you have encouraged many of us to join you; even if we don't become members of an organized weight loss plan.

I walk 3 days a week with a walking partner, and on the days she doesn't walk I take my dog with me for an hour of walking. I also belong to the Y, and plan on going back there to swim. Sadly, the Jazzercise class I had been attending fell apart~ the instructor had a 90 minute commute, and it became too much for her. I hope that someone else takes her place.

Keep us in your loop~you are truly an inspiration.

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Marlene_K said:

Good luck!

Go Janelle Go! Supporting
    Go Janelle Go! Supporting you all the way!
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Options
    Hi Janelle
    I can't wait to get my energy back to exercise again. I'm sure you'll be successful and I will read your weight log-in. Good for you announcing your weight, I will too, I'm 220. I've had success with Southbeach diet before and will do it again after surgery and radiation are done. I've been over-eating without any thought, lost alot of muscle tone from being inactive, too. Stay motivated, you've already motivated me.
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    Options
    WW
    Congratulations Janelle. YOu are doing the right thing. I thought I would lose weight during chemo, and though I did lose about 10 pounds right after each treatment, by the time the next treatment came around, that 10 pounds found me again.

As soon as I finish radiation, I am going to get back on track too and onto my stationary bike. I have no family history of bc or any of the other indications for it, except being overweight.

You are an inspiration to all of us. Look forward to your weekly weigh-ins. Good luck.

Judy
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Marlene_K said:

Good luck!

Wishing you good luck
    Wishing you good luck Janelle. I walk with my husband at night and it really helps to give, at least me, more energy. Keep us posted.

Hugs