Question for the ladies/women/girls

Options
Jaylo969
Jaylo969 Member Posts: 824 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
and boys too if you know ;)

I just got a call from my gyn office per pap test on Feb.13th. Gotta' go back in 4 months for another because mine showed inflammation of cervix. I asked if the chemo could have caused this ( is my first abnormal pap in almost 40 yrs of having them ). Nurse says it sure could be the reason.BTW-The surgeon took my ovaries and tubes out with surgery for colon tumor.

Question is, is this common and is this anything to worry about? I tried to Google some info on it but must be using wrong key words.

Any input on this?

Thanks...
Pat

Comments

• lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    Options
    Pat, give your onc a call. He/she needs to know this info and
    Pat, give your onc a call. He/she needs to know this info and can give you the correct information. Please keep us posted. Thanks.
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Benign Cellular Changes --
    Benign Cellular Changes -- Details

Inflamation -- the woman may be re-tested. Even if none of the definitive signs of infection above is present, her doctor may treat her with antibiotics, especially if the inflammatory result is persistent.
    Atrophy with inflamation ("atrophic vaginitis") This is usually seen in post-menopausal women. Hormone replacement, vaginal estrogen creasm, or lubricants may be suggested.
    Radiation

I had 'cervical erosion' while breast feeding. I was told my cervix was inflamed because that area becomes thin during hormonal changes and lots of sex would rub away tissue and leave it inflamed. Same thing happens after menopause.
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    Options

Inflamation -- the woman may be re-tested. Even if none of the definitive signs of infection above is present, her doctor may treat her with antibiotics, especially if the inflammatory result is persistent.
    Atrophy with inflamation ("atrophic vaginitis") This is usually seen in post-menopausal women. Hormone replacement, vaginal estrogen creasm, or lubricants may be suggested.
    Radiation

I had 'cervical erosion' while breast feeding. I was told my cervix was inflamed because that area becomes thin during hormonal changes and lots of sex would rub away tissue and leave it inflamed. Same thing happens after menopause.
    LOTS of sex
    LOL, what is that????? Sorry had to be a smart ****...who has the energy for that???
  • Jaylo969
    Jaylo969 Member Posts: 824 Member
    Options

Radiation

Lots of sex??
    Yea well, my incision isn't healing very fast..... and yada yada. I am on hormones so that isn't the problem. I did find in a search that inflammation shows up as excess of white cells.

Of course I called the nurse, mostly to ask her if I should take my Xeloda ( without food ) on Friday morning when I'll be having my port removed. Thought I'd ask her about this little inflammation problem while I was at it. It is 5:19 and the phone hasn't rung yet so guess I talk to her tomorrow...or sometime.

I DO think the chemo could be the culprit.Just intend to keep on top of things if I can so I don't fall through another crack.

-Pat

UPDATE: Nurse just called. She is " almost positive" that the chemo is the cause of the cervical inflammation.She says DO NOT worry! As far as taking Xeloda on the day of port removal she says NOT to take it for that whole day because there might be a nausea problem with the chemo and the anesthesia.
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Jaylo969 said:

Lots of sex??
    Yea well, my incision isn't healing very fast..... and yada yada. I am on hormones so that isn't the problem. I did find in a search that inflammation shows up as excess of white cells.

Of course I called the nurse, mostly to ask her if I should take my Xeloda ( without food ) on Friday morning when I'll be having my port removed. Thought I'd ask her about this little inflammation problem while I was at it. It is 5:19 and the phone hasn't rung yet so guess I talk to her tomorrow...or sometime.

I DO think the chemo could be the culprit.Just intend to keep on top of things if I can so I don't fall through another crack.

-Pat

UPDATE: Nurse just called. She is " almost positive" that the chemo is the cause of the cervical inflammation.She says DO NOT worry! As far as taking Xeloda on the day of port removal she says NOT to take it for that whole day because there might be a nausea problem with the chemo and the anesthesia.

Glad you checked
    Glad you checked and got an answer...now follow her advice and DO NO worry...LOL...as if any of us don't worry about unusual results.

It is good that you are watchful...each of us is our own best advocate about what is going on with our body.

Hopefully the next test will be all clear!

Marie
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    dorookie said:

LOTS of sex
    LOL, what is that????? Sorry had to be a smart ****...who has the energy for that???

LOL!
    Well, that was at age 27 and hubby was a 30 year old Italian. ;-D
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    First off
    men are so lucky they don't have to go through half the issues women do, but onto your question.

An adnormal pap could be caused from many items. Chemo, change of life, menstural issues, etc.

In additon, I found this information on Webmd.com:

http://women.webmd.com/tc/abnormal-pap-test-topic-overview