What number is normal

Options
azgrandma
azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
what i the normal no for a ca 125

mine went from 500 to 12 does anyone know what normal is??

Comments

• leesag
    leesag Member Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Normal
    12 is awesome! Normal is 0-35 I think.

Yay for an even dozen! ;)
  • veggiegal
    veggiegal Member Posts: 14
    Options
    leesag said:

Normal
    12 is awesome! Normal is 0-35 I think.

Yay for an even dozen! ;)

ca125
    Wow, 12 is really a great score on any scale. My tests are run on a 0-20 is normal scale. My scores are creeping up and have been all year. My test last week was 22 and I'm very worried. My doctor won't do anything till I reach double normal, 40. Where in AZ do you live? I lived in the Southeast part of the valley, Chandler, for 10 years and just moved to Overland Park, KS last July. It's way too cold here. I wish that my score were 12.
  • azgrandma
    azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    veggiegal said:

ca125
    Wow, 12 is really a great score on any scale. My tests are run on a 0-20 is normal scale. My scores are creeping up and have been all year. My test last week was 22 and I'm very worried. My doctor won't do anything till I reach double normal, 40. Where in AZ do you live? I lived in the Southeast part of the valley, Chandler, for 10 years and just moved to Overland Park, KS last July. It's way too cold here. I wish that my score were 12.

mesa az
    I live at mesa and love it here
    lived at kansas city when in third grade
  • arbor3
    arbor3 Member Posts: 103
    Options
    CA125
    That is so great that your CA125 went so low. The normal range is 0-35.

Dinora
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    CA-125's
    I believe that there are two ranges. Under 35 for one and under 20 for the other. Either way you are doing great and I'm so very happy for you! Time to do the happy dance and I hope to join you very soon.
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • Mawty
    Mawty Member Posts: 133
    Options
    Mwee said:

CA-125's
    I believe that there are two ranges. Under 35 for one and under 20 for the other. Either way you are doing great and I'm so very happy for you! Time to do the happy dance and I hope to join you very soon.
    (((HUGS))) Maria

I just got my CA-125 at Rush University Hospital in Chicago yesterday and they have a new normal number - 31. That surprised me because I'd always seen 35 as the normal. There must just be different tests with different thresholds for normal. The lowest I've ever gotten is 21, but the highest I ever got was 58 when I was full of cancer -- 3c. It's not a good test for me. I'm at 35 right now.

Marty
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    Options
    Mawty said:

I just got my CA-125 at Rush University Hospital in Chicago yesterday and they have a new normal number - 31. That surprised me because I'd always seen 35 as the normal. There must just be different tests with different thresholds for normal. The lowest I've ever gotten is 21, but the highest I ever got was 58 when I was full of cancer -- 3c. It's not a good test for me. I'm at 35 right now.

Marty

Yes, just like when you do
    Yes, just like when you do your CBC at different labs and their normal ranges differ.
  • cathyp
    cathyp Member Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Mawty said:

Marty

hard to understand this test, ca-125
    I have not been dx'd w/ovarian cancer but I have had hodgkins lymphoma twice. I was dx'd w/invasive ductual carcinoma, breast cancer in 2008 also. I then had a large ovarian cyst w/a CA-125 of 49. The cyst was benign but my CA-125 creeped up every 3 mos till it reached 99. Then every 3 mos it dropped till it hit 30 something. Now, 19 mos later it is 45. My docs keep saying this is such an imperfect and vague test,they are not concsrned. I'm trying to understand why they use it for OC survivors to react and start chemo again. I find this very confusing. Can anyone clear this up for me?
    Also, my oncologist told me my insurance company will no longer cover the lab cost for the CA-125 for diagnostic purposes.
    Thanks,
    Cathy
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    cathyp said:

hard to understand this test, ca-125
    I have not been dx'd w/ovarian cancer but I have had hodgkins lymphoma twice. I was dx'd w/invasive ductual carcinoma, breast cancer in 2008 also. I then had a large ovarian cyst w/a CA-125 of 49. The cyst was benign but my CA-125 creeped up every 3 mos till it reached 99. Then every 3 mos it dropped till it hit 30 something. Now, 19 mos later it is 45. My docs keep saying this is such an imperfect and vague test,they are not concsrned. I'm trying to understand why they use it for OC survivors to react and start chemo again. I find this very confusing. Can anyone clear this up for me?
    Also, my oncologist told me my insurance company will no longer cover the lab cost for the CA-125 for diagnostic purposes.
    Thanks,
    Cathy

CA125 is, first of all, not
    CA125 is, first of all, not a good indicator of tumor/cancer activity for all women. Secondly, anything can elevate the number - not just cancer. The benign ovarian cyst, for example, could have caused the rise, even though it was benign.

Doctors monitor our (OVC patients) CA125 for lack of a better indicator. They expect ovarian cancer to recur because, unfortunately, it does, more often than not. But they also look for other symptoms: ascites, abdominal pain, severe constipation, frequent urge to urinate, etc. If you have none of those symptoms, I would trust the doctor and not lose any sleep over OVC.

Carlene