lumpectomy next Tuesday

Options
laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My MRI and petscan were clear. No sign of the tumors. I'm glad but still nervous about it. I'm feeling tired from chemo and it's been over a month. And weakness in my legs. The nurse explained the lymph node dissection. They have to inject a radioactive solution through my nipple, she said it would be "uncomfortable". Then doc uses a geiger counter to locate sentinel node. Anyone else have this done?

Comments

• Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    Laurissa, I haven't had this
    Laurissa, I haven't had this done, but I will be thinking of you & hope that all goes well.
    Hugs & prayers...
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Options
    I've had it done
    Laurissa, I've had the sentinel node dissection done--it was done prior to my lumpectomy the same day. They are very careful. It did not hurt or even feel uncomfortable, really. I would say don't worry too much--it may be the nurse is trying to prepare you for the worst possible and it's likely it will be much better.

My dr. had a radioactive dye and a blue dye injected; the two dyes travel at different rates and help assure that the sentinel nodes are obvious.

Hang in there!!

Sandy
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Laurissa, I had a
    Laurissa, I had a lumpectopmy with a sentinel node dissection. The injection of the radioactive solution is like a bee sting. It is not that bad. You will be fine and it will be over soon. Excellent news on "no sign" of tumors. Sounds like the chemo has done its job. Good luck to you and I'm sending positive energy your way. Take care.
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Options

I've had it done
    Laurissa, I've had the sentinel node dissection done--it was done prior to my lumpectomy the same day. They are very careful. It did not hurt or even feel uncomfortable, really. I would say don't worry too much--it may be the nurse is trying to prepare you for the worst possible and it's likely it will be much better.

My dr. had a radioactive dye and a blue dye injected; the two dyes travel at different rates and help assure that the sentinel nodes are obvious.

Hang in there!!

Sandy

I had it done the same day of my surgery
    ...it was uncomfortable but not too bad. They were going to take that breast after doing the sentinel node dissection. I remember lying there apologizing to my right breast because there was going to be one more procedure done before I lost it forever - strange what we think of right before surgery.
    much love,
    Jenny
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Laurissa, I had a
    Laurissa, I had a lumpectopmy with a sentinel node dissection. The injection of the radioactive solution is like a bee sting. It is not that bad. You will be fine and it will be over soon. Excellent news on "no sign" of tumors. Sounds like the chemo has done its job. Good luck to you and I'm sending positive energy your way. Take care.

Laurissa, I was so happy to
    Laurissa, I was so happy to hear that the news came back good after your tests. Whew, one more thing less to sweat about. I know you're concerned about the next step that comes next week. Haven't had the procedure or lumpectomy so can't help you there but it sounds like its doable. Try to look past all that and tell yourself you're getting so close to the finish line. You made it thru chemo and its been hard on you. The next step will go faster and soon you can look back and see how far you've come. Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Radioactive injection
    I worried myself for days about that injection, and it was not bad at all. Mine was injected on the side of my breast, not the nipple....right before my lumpectomy. I got myself all worked up for just a minor sting and a slight feeling of warmth.

Good luck. Hope all goes well.

Judy
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Tux said:

Laurissa, I haven't had this
    Laurissa, I haven't had this done, but I will be thinking of you & hope that all goes well.
    Hugs & prayers...

Good luck Laurissa with your
    Good luck Laurissa with your surgery!

♥ Megan
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    GrandmaJ said:

Radioactive injection
    I worried myself for days about that injection, and it was not bad at all. Mine was injected on the side of my breast, not the nipple....right before my lumpectomy. I got myself all worked up for just a minor sting and a slight feeling of warmth.

Judy

I had a Sentinel Node Biopsy too.
    It was done when I had my re-exicsional biopsy. They dye stings for about 5 seconds and then stops. Mine injection was on the side of my breast and the needle just goes under the skin. I was terrified and even talked to the tech who did it the day before and it was not as bad as I had built up in my mind.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

hugs, Judy :-)
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    I had exactly what you mention
    The injections in the nipple do sting for a little while but the rest of the test is nothing. Just takes a little time for the stuff to get to the sentinel lymph node. I was back in my room when they came in with the gyger(sp) counter and marked where the sentinel node was. Then I was off to surgery.

Good luck to you.

Donna
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    GrandmaJ said:

Radioactive injection

Judy

Good luck Laurissa! It
    Good luck Laurissa! It seems everyone varies on the procedure. But, it is always good to know about them. Just don't get upset about it. Remember, it is all to help you fight the beast!

Sue :)
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Options
    Thanks
    I'm less worried now. Sad about my right breast being deformed, though. I'll get through it. So many of you other girls have gotten through so much more than I have. I'm just glad it's gone. The nurse said about the size of a fist has to come out, but I'm a 44DD, it shouldn't be too bad.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Best wishes for you next
    Best wishes for you next week. So happy chemo did it's work for you. If you arent up to posting, maybe your sister can update us. Hugs
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    natly15 said:

Best wishes for you next
    Best wishes for you next week. So happy chemo did it's work for you. If you arent up to posting, maybe your sister can update us. Hugs

Sending you good luck and
    Sending you good luck and prayers for your surgery!

Angie
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    natly15 said:

Best wishes for you next

Good luck Laurissa with your surgery! And, that is so great that chemo did its job.

Sending you prayers and hoping that all goes well for you!

♥ Noel
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    laurissa said:

Thanks
    I'm less worried now. Sad about my right breast being deformed, though. I'll get through it. So many of you other girls have gotten through so much more than I have. I'm just glad it's gone. The nurse said about the size of a fist has to come out, but I'm a 44DD, it shouldn't be too bad.

Good Luck
    Good luck and best wishes for the outcome of your surgery. You will get through it. I had the lumpectomy and all my lymph nodes removed. Not to scare you but it is painful. But they will give you something for the pain and everything will heal.

Take care.

P
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

I had it done the same day of my surgery
    ...it was uncomfortable but not too bad. They were going to take that breast after doing the sentinel node dissection. I remember lying there apologizing to my right breast because there was going to be one more procedure done before I lost it forever - strange what we think of right before surgery.
    much love,
    Jenny

Good luck with your surgery
    Good luck with your surgery next Tuesday! Keeping you in my prayers!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • tat2granny
    tat2granny Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Noel said:

Good luck Laurissa with your surgery! And, that is so great that chemo did its job.

Sending you prayers and hoping that all goes well for you!

♥ Noel

It's a snap
    Laurissa, I had that done myself. Compared to what you have already went thru, this will be a breeze! I think they tell you that it feels like a bee sting,, but mine didn't. And I'm the biggest wuss you ever seen! Good luck and you can do this!
  • grandmasueb
    grandmasueb Member Posts: 49
    Options
    My lumpectomy and Sential
    My lumpectomy and Sential Node injection is tomorrow I am really nervous wishing it was all over.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    laurissa said:

Thanks

Good luck to you
    Good luck to you Laurissa!

KYLEZ ♥
  • CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Options

My lumpectomy and Sential
    My lumpectomy and Sential Node injection is tomorrow I am really nervous wishing it was all over.

I was scared
    I was scared about this, because a woman I worked with went on and on how terrible it was. (Just like everyone tries to out do you in the childbirth horror stories).

I truth it only hurt (stinging) for about 5 seconds, they did not actually go in the nipple but 4 very, very small (0.1 ml) of radioactive dye around the areola. I looked at the prep stand and considering all the other stuff we have been through this is a piece of cake. The doctor spent less than 1 minute doing the injections.

Hope you have negative nodes. Best of Luck - Carrie