Tamoxifen and Periods?

Options
helen e
helen e Member Posts: 223
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I started tamoxifen (again, after being on it 3 weeks) at the end of Dec. I had a period in January but not this month. Is this normal? Has this happened to anyone else?

Comments

• pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Periods
    I had my last period May 2009. I started Tamoxifen in June or July (can't remember which) but I haven't had a period since. Not sure if the Tamoxifen did it or the chemo. Or if I was close to menapause anyway as I'm 54.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    I was on Tamoxifen for about
    I was on Tamoxifen for about 9 months and started spotting. The onc took a blood test to see if I was in menopause and I was so he sent me to a gyn. The chemo pushed me into menopause. Turned out the spotting was from uterine polyps. The onc didn't know if the Tamoxifen had anything to do with it or not. I was 53 at the time so old enough to be in menopause anyway. Not quite what you are experiencing but just thought I'd mention it. You should tell your doctor anyway.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Helen,
    I'm sorry, I don't remember whether or not you did chemo?

In my case, it was chemo that made my periods irregular -- I'm too young for chemo to push me into menopause like it does many older women, but my periods bounced around erratically during chemo and for about 4 months afterwards. I started Tamoxifen a few weeks after I finished chemo, have been on it for about 4 months, and my periods have returned to regularly scheduled programming -- so, to me, it hasn't seemed to have any effect on them.

Traci
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Helen,
    I'm sorry, I don't remember whether or not you did chemo?

In my case, it was chemo that made my periods irregular -- I'm too young for chemo to push me into menopause like it does many older women, but my periods bounced around erratically during chemo and for about 4 months afterwards. I started Tamoxifen a few weeks after I finished chemo, have been on it for about 4 months, and my periods have returned to regularly scheduled programming -- so, to me, it hasn't seemed to have any effect on them.

Traci

Helen
    you definitely tell your doctor, since you did not have Chemo. I would see gynecologist as well. You need to be in care of gynecologist and have pelvic ultrasound while on Tamoxifen.
    New Flower
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

Helen
    you definitely tell your doctor, since you did not have Chemo. I would see gynecologist as well. You need to be in care of gynecologist and have pelvic ultrasound while on Tamoxifen.
    New Flower

You should tell your
    You should tell your oncologist Helen about any changes that you have. If he can't help you, I am sure he will have you see your gyno. With tamox, you need to tell your doctors about any changes. Good luck!

Sue :)
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    It's happened to me
    Hi Helen,

I didn't have chemo. but the Tamoxifen has made my periods irregular. I've been on it about five months. I've skipped a month too, only to have another one fifteen days later. Not fun. I called my onocologist and she said not to worry; Tamoxifen can do that. She said if I was going to worry to go ahead and call my ob/gyn. I didn't because I'm going to see him in March for a six month check-up and ultrasound.
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options

It's happened to me
    Hi Helen,

I didn't have chemo. but the Tamoxifen has made my periods irregular. I've been on it about five months. I've skipped a month too, only to have another one fifteen days later. Not fun. I called my onocologist and she said not to worry; Tamoxifen can do that. She said if I was going to worry to go ahead and call my ob/gyn. I didn't because I'm going to see him in March for a six month check-up and ultrasound.

If I remember correctly, you

If I remember correctly, you had blood clots a while ago. When I developed blood clots, my oncologist took me off the Tamoxifen as a safety precaution. That was ten years ago, so there may be different rules today (and Tamoxifen may have more benefit for you than me), but my oncologist has never recommended going back on it. My PCP and breast surgeon also agreed with the decision to stop. As in all things medical, it's a balancing act between risks and benefits of the medication.

Joyce
  • babebussie
    babebussie Member Posts: 150
    Options
    My period has stopped all
    My period has stopped all together since being on meds. I havent had a period for at least 6 months or more now. Hmmmm, i dont miss it either.
  • Victoria1566
    Victoria1566 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    When I went on Tamoxifen my
    When I went on Tamoxifen my periods when nuts! One month I would be flooding for over a week, and the next I wouldn't have one at all, and the next month I would have two in one month. I felt like I had a urinary tract infection all the time and ended up in the emergency room because my bladder shut down. Was all of this caused by the drug? No. Come to find out, I had a fibroid the size of a tennis ball growing in my uterus. I've had symptoms of fibroids for years but they didn't cause any great problems until I went on the Tamoxifen. Last week I had a hysterectomy and I am already feeling better.

Even though it was stressful to face another surgery so soon after my mastectomy last July, it was good to know it was something fairly routine and unrelated to my cancer.

Good Luck