Shaving challenged

Options
cindycflynn
cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well, you'd think by the time I reached 51 years old, I'd have learned how to shave properly!!!

Since chemo has made me mostly hairless anyway, I hadn't worried about shaving for the past few months, but now that I've finished my chemo and am preparing for rads, I wanted to get rid of those few straggler hairs under my arms and on my legs. The last time I shaved I used my trusty Venus razor, but I've read that I shouldn't use a blade, so I decided to buy an electric razor.

My first mistake was probably that I only spent $10 on the razor I bought.

I proceeded to lather up in the shower and tried to use the razor first under my arms, and it kind of stung right away, even though I did use shaving cream. I decided to try my legs to see if that wend any better, and it didn't sting much there, but after I got out of the shower, I could see that the razor didn't seem to actually shave much off at all. It DID, however, leave major razor burns under both of my arms - OUCH!!!

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations so that I can eventually shave without hurting myself? I feel like such a dork.

Thanks!

Comments

• Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Shaving
    Poor Cindy. I am so sorry. My rads oncologist said no to my blade, but, I used it anyway as I always had horrific results with an electric shaver. I was just really careful. I use the Schick Quattro for women. I have never cut myself or anything with it. It is really good. ( i have stock in it - ok - kidding lol ) And, after a few zaps of radiation, it killed my hair follicles, so, I don't have to shave under that arm anymore. One perk of rads, besides it killing stray cancer cells. I just really hate electric razors. My husband has an expensive one, but, it still is too harsh on my skin. Good luck and let me know how you do and what you use. You have to be really careful Cindy in the area being radiated. Take care!

Megan
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Cindy, it's been many years
    Cindy, it's been many years since I've used an electric razor but remember using them on dry skin. They may have changed over the years...it has been about 45 years ago. Anyway, I, too, used my regular razor when I started shaving again and just made sure I was very, very careful with it. Very little pressure so I was sure not to cut myself. I haven't had any problems with it. Good luck!!
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Cindy, it's been many years since I've used an electric razor but remember using them on dry skin. They may have changed over the years...it has been about 45 years ago. Anyway, I, too, used my regular razor when I started shaving again and just made sure I was very, very careful with it. Very little pressure so I was sure not to cut myself. I haven't had any problems with it. Good luck!!

plain razors
    i just use plain throw away razors i havent had any problems.

wishing you the best.

teresa
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    $10?
    Oh, Cindy, bless your heart -- but I think your ONLY mistake was that you spent $10 on an electric razor and expected it to work!

I've been using my electric razor for months -- after surgery, during chemo and rads -- and it's made my life so much easier. I have the Remington Smooth & Silky Ultra Shaver, and I bought it on drugstore.com for $20: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=189777&catid=36469. I use it dry out of the shower, and it's never hurt one bit.

I didn't lose the hair under my arms or on my legs during chemo, and an electric razor was all that my oncologist would let me use. Then, during rads, since my lymph nodes weren't part of the treatment field, I only lost about the bottom half of the hair under my arms, and my radiation oncologist also would only let me use an electric razor. So, I've definitely already got more than my $20 worth out of my purchase!

Traci
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

I hate electric shavers, so,
    I hate electric shavers, so, I used a razor blade. I was just really careful and had no problem. Hair quit growing under my arm pretty quick, so, I didn't have to even worry about shaving anymore. Good luck!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

$10?
    Oh, Cindy, bless your heart -- but I think your ONLY mistake was that you spent $10 on an electric razor and expected it to work!

I've been using my electric razor for months -- after surgery, during chemo and rads -- and it's made my life so much easier. I have the Remington Smooth & Silky Ultra Shaver, and I bought it on drugstore.com for $20: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=189777&catid=36469. I use it dry out of the shower, and it's never hurt one bit.

I didn't lose the hair under my arms or on my legs during chemo, and an electric razor was all that my oncologist would let me use. Then, during rads, since my lymph nodes weren't part of the treatment field, I only lost about the bottom half of the hair under my arms, and my radiation oncologist also would only let me use an electric razor. So, I've definitely already got more than my $20 worth out of my purchase!

Traci

Hi Cindy! I used my regular
    Hi Cindy! I used my regular razor blade to shave under my arm. I also lost the hair under my arm so there was no need to shave there. I think some don't have their lymph nodes radiated during their treatment and some do. Good luck!

Hugs, Leeza
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

$10?

Traci

Lost hair :)
    Cindy, I was also told to not use my razor blade, but, I used it. I never cut myself with it. I lost my hair too very quickly with rads, so, no need for me to shave anymore. Good luck!

Lex♥
  • WJGardner_Dec2009
    Options
    I use my husbands electric
    I use my husbands electric razor when needed. With no issues. You still have to be careful though as you can still nick yourself if pressing to hard. They have good womans electric razors i am just to lazy to go buy one. Good lucj!!

Wanda
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder why we
    Sometimes I wonder why we need to shave our pits or legs? Men don't. I know this doesn't help but... who started this anyway? I just googled this and got a very interesting reason. It seems to have started in the US about 1915, about the time of films. Hum.
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Options
    ouch!
    I too was told no razor for rads...important to remember that you may not have feeling under your arms like you did before surgery. I have a pretty long numb area on my armpit from my node surgery...you may not be able to feel it even if you did cut it w/a razor.

I've used an electric razor for years on my legs...tried going w/the no shaving the pit getting radiation (even assuming that half the hair would actually fall out!) and just didn't like the long hair peeking out from under my arm! Thought about french braiding even! So, i used the trimming edge of my electric razor...just did this dry and I wasn't gonna try and get it all off...the trimmer gets it pretty short.

I think electric razors are easier to use dry rather than the shower, but you can get a wet/dry one too.

Good Luck!
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Options
    jbug said:

ouch!
    I too was told no razor for rads...important to remember that you may not have feeling under your arms like you did before surgery. I have a pretty long numb area on my armpit from my node surgery...you may not be able to feel it even if you did cut it w/a razor.

I've used an electric razor for years on my legs...tried going w/the no shaving the pit getting radiation (even assuming that half the hair would actually fall out!) and just didn't like the long hair peeking out from under my arm! Thought about french braiding even! So, i used the trimming edge of my electric razor...just did this dry and I wasn't gonna try and get it all off...the trimmer gets it pretty short.

I think electric razors are easier to use dry rather than the shower, but you can get a wet/dry one too.

Good Luck!

Shaving
    After the lumpectomy and node removal, I switched back to my Sunbeam Princess electric shaver (circa 1962--hey, don't laugh, it still works!). I decided on my own that since there's some numbness in my left armpit, it would be better to not use regular blades. What about those products like Nair, that are supposed to dissolve the hair? Can they be used if you're not taking rads?
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

Shaving
    After the lumpectomy and node removal, I switched back to my Sunbeam Princess electric shaver (circa 1962--hey, don't laugh, it still works!). I decided on my own that since there's some numbness in my left armpit, it would be better to not use regular blades. What about those products like Nair, that are supposed to dissolve the hair? Can they be used if you're not taking rads?

1962?!?
    Grace, your razor is older than ME!

Do they have a "Razor Appraiser" at the Antiques Roadshow, I wonder? Maybe you could get some money for it!

:-) :-) :-)

Traci
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    jbug said:

ouch!

Good Luck!

I never liked electric
    I never liked electric shavers, mens or womens. I use a razor blade and love it. I used it until the radiation killed the hair under my arms. You might try it and see if you do ok.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

1962?!?
    Grace, your razor is older than ME!

Do they have a "Razor Appraiser" at the Antiques Roadshow, I wonder? Maybe you could get some money for it!

:-) :-) :-)

Traci

Thanks for my laugh of the day, Traci!
    I love Antiques Road Show!, but I never thought of having my vintage razor appraised. I bought it with some of my first pay from my first full-time job out of high school. Mother was mortified when I shaved my legs. She said only "loose" women shaved their legs. I did it anyway. LOL
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    susie09 said:

I never liked electric
    I never liked electric shavers, mens or womens. I use a razor blade and love it. I used it until the radiation killed the hair under my arms. You might try it and see if you do ok.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

I used a razor blade and had
    I used a razor blade and had no problems! Good luck with whatever you decide to use!