looking for help

Options
Minuz
Minuz Member Posts: 25
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Last Week I had a Tram reconstruction and a lift of the other breast and I'm having quite a bit of difficulty with a burning sensation on the reconstruction side. I left the hospital with 3 drains all are out now and there is no sign of infection but where the stitches seem to come together under the breast (right under where one of the drain sites were) I have a horrible painful burning sensation. I am wondering if this could have anything to do with the fact that it is also the side where the nodes were taken and radiation was given. I do have alot of swelling also. Did any of you wear a bra to help with the swelling? I'm so uncomfortable I didn't know if I should try to wear one or not.I'll see the dr. this week but I was wondering if anyone else had this sensation what they were told? This was a tough surgery and now I'm questioning everything about it. UGH Just not too happy, I guess I thought it would have been a bit different. I've had 3 sections and a hysterectomy so I'm use to the stomach pain and rolling out of bed but the breast just feels soooo heavy and uncomfortable. I hope this changes. :(
I have gotten myself into a slump about the whole thing. I wanted to do this to make myself feel better and now I feel like I've done just the opposite. I hope things will look better to me with time.

ps I still can't figure out on this site the little person by everyone's name what does that mean and how do I get one???? As you can tell I'm not very savy with computers.
minuz

Comments

• WJGardner_Dec2009
    Options
    Help
    I would call the doctors nurse to be sure. I wouldn't wait to see the doctor next week. You could speak to an advice nurse and she could then instruct you as to what to do. But it sounds like you should have it checked out for sure and very soon. If it is painful i would wear a bra it would put presure on the spot.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    I found out
    that everybody has a little person by their name-you just can't see your own but everyone else can.Not sure what it means...someone else will know.
    Welcome,Minuz!
  • Minuz
    Options

I found out
    that everybody has a little person by their name-you just can't see your own but everyone else can.Not sure what it means...someone else will know.
    Welcome,Minuz!

thanks
    thought I had to do something to connect with people.
  • CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Options

I found out
    Welcome,Minuz!

Little person
    It is just a short cut to add that person to your friend list. :)
  • Minuz
    Options

Little person
    It is just a short cut to add that person to your friend list. :)

What does that mean "your
    What does that mean "your friend list"? How do you make one of those? I know I'm not really into computers but I'm trying!!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Minuz said:

What does that mean "your
    What does that mean "your friend list"? How do you make one of those? I know I'm not really into computers but I'm trying!!

If there is a minus next to
    If there is a minus next to that person's name, then you have added them as a friend. If there is a plus, that means they are not in your friends list. Basically, if they are in your list, it just makes it quicker to write a PM or personal message to them. You just have to click on their name, rather than typing it all out. I hope I explained it right.

Sue :)
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    Ritzy said:

If there is a minus next to
    If there is a minus next to that person's name, then you have added them as a friend. If there is a plus, that means they are not in your friends list. Basically, if they are in your list, it just makes it quicker to write a PM or personal message to them. You just have to click on their name, rather than typing it all out. I hope I explained it right.

Sue :)

If you haven't already seen
    If you haven't already seen your doctor or called the nurse, you should check out the burning sensation. The breasts do feel heavy and uncomfortable at first, but this improves with time. I don't really notice mine being any different than my real breasts (unless I think about it) 10 months post surgery. If you had the free flap surgery, where they disconnect the tissue and reconnect the blood supply, you should not wear a bra. I wasn't allowed to wear one for eight weeks. I'm not sure what the rules are with the regular TRAM flap.

It's a long recovery, but it was worth it for me.

Joyce
  • Minuz
    Options
    jk1952 said:

If you haven't already seen
    If you haven't already seen your doctor or called the nurse, you should check out the burning sensation. The breasts do feel heavy and uncomfortable at first, but this improves with time. I don't really notice mine being any different than my real breasts (unless I think about it) 10 months post surgery. If you had the free flap surgery, where they disconnect the tissue and reconnect the blood supply, you should not wear a bra. I wasn't allowed to wear one for eight weeks. I'm not sure what the rules are with the regular TRAM flap.

It's a long recovery, but it was worth it for me.

Joyce

I made an appointment for
    I made an appointment for this monday because I am not sure of all of these sensations I am feeling but I'm sure I am jumping the gun a little here. I guess I needed someone to tell me more about what things would be like after the surgery so I wasn't questioning everything. I know it has only been a couple of weeks but it is so uncomfortable that I just want someone to tell me that this is not what it will always be like. Thanks for the advice. I need to hear of others so that I can understand this whole process and not just think it is me over re-acting.
    thanks again
    Minuz
  • CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Options
    Minuz said:

I made an appointment for
    I made an appointment for this monday because I am not sure of all of these sensations I am feeling but I'm sure I am jumping the gun a little here. I guess I needed someone to tell me more about what things would be like after the surgery so I wasn't questioning everything. I know it has only been a couple of weeks but it is so uncomfortable that I just want someone to tell me that this is not what it will always be like. Thanks for the advice. I need to hear of others so that I can understand this whole process and not just think it is me over re-acting.
    thanks again
    Minuz

Burning sensation
    Hi Minuz -

I did not have a tram like you, but I had "tissue transfer", and boy did it burn! That was the most surprising thing. It has been slowly been getting better, but I definately can tell when it is time for pain meds. Keep on them and use them as needed, right now I can control it with just Ibuprofen, but still need to take it regularly.

As for undergarmets, it was recommended to me to use soft men's cotton tee shirts as underclothing. I had a unilateral mastectomy, and felt like the other one was hanging in the breeze in just the loose tee shirt. I am only a B cup, but I feel so much better with spandex ladies undershirts. Of course it all depends on what you feel most comfortable in and what your doctor recommends.

Best of Luck - Carrie