edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Looking for info on phyllodes tumor of the breast
Confused by the fact that this cancer can't be treated with chemo or radiation

Comments

• DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't know anything
    Sorry, I don't know anything about this. Just welcoming you and wishing you good luck. I hope someone on here can help you with info.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Jeanne
    I don't have any personal knowledge, but I clicked on the link to the left of the screen that says "Cancer Information" and searched for phyllodes tumor and found some information there.

It sounds like it's a different type of growth than the usual breast cancer. The good news is that is usually benign, but even if it's not most of the time surgery is all that's needed to treat it. It did say that in some cases chemo is used if it spreads, but apparently they use a different type of chemo than the drugs usually used for other BC.

Do you have a doctor that can explain this in more detail to you? It sounds like it's so rare, that you may have a harder time finding out about it.

Please do come here as often as you like, however. Even if we can't provide specific details for you, the women and men on this site are a great source of support.

Hugs,
    Cindy
  • emilyjane91
    emilyjane91 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    phyllodes
    Hiya, have you had a phyllodes tumour? I have recently been diagnosed with a malignant one at only 19, I have been told chemotherapy doesn't work for it, but radiotherapy has been shown to work. I have had surgery to remove the tumour and surrounding tissue, but awaiting results to find out what happens next. It is very rare, therefore not a lot of knowledge on it unfortunately.
  • pannwagner
    pannwagner Member Posts: 3
    Options

phyllodes
    Hiya, have you had a phyllodes tumour? I have recently been diagnosed with a malignant one at only 19, I have been told chemotherapy doesn't work for it, but radiotherapy has been shown to work. I have had surgery to remove the tumour and surrounding tissue, but awaiting results to find out what happens next. It is very rare, therefore not a lot of knowledge on it unfortunately.

Wondering how you are doing
    Hello, I was just recently diagnosed with a malignant one as well and was wondering how you are doing what your care process was. I am having a second surgery to get more of a clean margin and meet with the oncologist this week. Any info you have is appreciated. Thanks.