Arimidex vs Tamoxifen

Options
Marlene_K
Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Ok, so I've been reading up on and researching Tamoxifen because from the beginning I thought that's what I was going to be taking. My good ole doc surprised me today and told me that he's putting me on Arimidex. From all the reading I've been doing on this board, I thought I would have to be on Tamoxifen until I was in menopause for at least a year. I stopped having periods after my 2nd chemo treatment. I guess he felt that was good enough. Hmmmm... well, of course, I'm going to be googling this drug, but thought I would put it out here for all my pink sisters that might be able to help.

Once again... thanks!

Comments

• dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    Hey Marlene
    I started

Hey Marlene
    I started Arimidex a couple of months ago. Of course I've had a hysteretomy so it's not an issue for me as far as uterine cancer...but I still discussed switching to Tamoxifen because it was really making my joints hurt at first. Now I take it before bed and it isn't bothering me anymore, but I'm taking an infusion of zometa every 6 months to help prevent bone loss. You should definitely have a bone scan to check for osteoprosis before you start if you havn't already.
    Dee
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Tamoxifen
    I also stopped having periods on chemo and it hasn't come back since Sept. 09. My oncol. put me on tamoxifen because I was very regular and full of estrogen. My gyn did a blood test to check the level and I was a long way off from menopause even though I had just turned 50. That was one side effect I didn't mind having! lol! I would question you doc to find out why the switch.

Good Luck
    Sher
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    In layman's terms...
    They work differently. Tamoxifen is a "blocker" - acts as a barrier between estrogen and cancer cells. Arimidex prevents production of estrogen (most of it) in the first place.

As New Flower described... I was 45 when diagnosed. Nowhere near menopause, not even perimenopausal. Started with Tamoxifen, for 2 years. Then, got switched to Arimidex - now almost four years, and most likely another four (for ten years total on meds, unless current ongoing research determines otherwise).

Age and diagnosis both play factors in differing oral meds recommendations, in addition to other considerations.

Every time I see the word "google" on this board - I wince. Please be sure to visit only very reputable sites. There is so much misinforation out there...

Kind regards, Susan
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Hi Marlene
    I am having similar situation. I was 47 when Chemo treatment induced my menopause. After 6 treatments it never came back. My oncologist put me on Tamoxifen for 1 year, however decided to switched to Arimidex after 9 months.. I did a lot of research and decided to continue Tamoxifen for another 6 months. Last week I saw a different doctor for a second opinion on this subject. Her opinion that young women (under 50) who was forced to a menopause by Chemo drugs should stay on Tamoxifen for 2 years. Cases were reported when patients were switched to Arimidex too early and got their periods back due to ovaries super production of estrogen. As for CYP2D6 genotype test, she said that at the last meeting in San Antonio, this test was reported as inconclusive and not having enough statistical data. I did not have this test done when i started Tamoxifen 11 months ago. Since I had severe side effects my oncologist did not have doubts about effectiveness of Tamoxifen for me. When you finish radiation ask for estrogen blood test, however I was completely exhausted, did not have hair , my estrogen was very low.
    Anaway we are going to check CYP2D6 out next month. If the test shows high to medium I will stay on Tamoxifen for another year.
    Yes, before you start any of hormonal therapy you need a bone density test and pelvic ultrasound as you base line.
    Good Luck,
    New Flower