Lung Nodule

Options
Oceansaway
Oceansaway Member Posts: 25
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My Dad, who was diagnosed with Stage IIIC rectal cancer last June, had surgery, and then finished chemo in November, just had a CT scan last week. The scan revealed small nodules on his right lung which did not appear on his scans before. The doctors say that the only thing they can offer is to have my Dad do another scan in three months. Should my Dad wait? Should he at least get a PET scan and seek another medical opinion on possibly getting back on chemo or even some surgery to remove the lung nodules? Could the nodules be non-cancerous? I know deep down my Dad is very sad and at the same time a little tired, but he is unwilling to show it to my Mom or me. I have been so proud of him for fighting this good fight and being a real man! But what should I suggest him to do? Any chance could be a turning point and we should never give up hope. Any thoughts out there?

Comments

• luv3jay
    luv3jay Member Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I definitely think a PET
    I definitely think a PET would have been the route to go. Speaking as one who had lung nodules (that have shown uptake on the PET), if his doc doesn't want to do one,you should seek a second opinion. Don't wait to get behind the 8 ball with this and then find it hard to get back in front of it again.

-Sheri
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    Pet
    My husand also has mets to the lungs. He has never had a PET scan. His mets were already there at the time of diagnosis. He has had a follow up CT scan. If the doctor is offering nothing but wait and see the I would think about a second opinion. There is additional chemo, radiation, lung resections, and the list goes on. So far, my husband has had nothing but chemo and has had an excellent response to the chemo so we continue on with that hoping for additoinal shrinkage and to see if more will disappear. If you will look at "luv3jay" bio (just click on her name) scroll down you will see that she has had treatment to lung mets. If you send her a pm perhaps she will fill you in more on what has occurred in her treatment. Take care - Tina
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    PET
    HI,

Sorry to hear your dad has been found to have lung nodules. It's funny how different doctors operate. My onc relies mostly on the PET/CT (which is a PET scan to show lighting up of cancerous activity, along with a lower level CT for better viewing). I would recommend asking about getting a PET. If it doesn't light up- great, but it will still need to be watched every 2-3 months. If you're not aware, I was told that CT's are really the best way to see what is in the lungs. MRI's to view the lungs with are not supposed to be as reliable (an MRI is supposedly very good for viewing the liver and other abdominal nodules, however).

Glad you're being such a support to your dad and family. I'm sure being on the outside looking in and not being able to control what your dad does and how he responds would be hard. You can only make suggestions and be there for him and the rest of the family.

Take care,
    Lisa
  • Kerry S
    Kerry S Member Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Did you read the report???
    One of my many pet scans said there was activity in my lung. The next scan said it was clear. I had coughed once during the scan.

This is why I like to get the reports and read exactly what they say.
  • SueRelays
    SueRelays Member Posts: 485
    Options
    When they did routine organ
    When they did routine organ scans during my anal cancer, they saw a spot on my lung. Watched it every 3 months, and it eventually grew enough to worry. Very small, so caught early, but biopsy indicated it was cancer. Oncologist swears the anal cancer could not have spread to the lung, and as it turned out it was a completely different non smoking lung cancer. Had a 1/5 of my lung removed same year I did chemo and radiation. This year anal mets to liver. Just had a liver resction where they took 1/2 of my liver. Not sure why with Stage I it keeps coming back harder, but I keep fighting it!!!! 51 years old, nad have am now a 3 x survivor. WE CAN DO IT!!!!!
  • Oceansaway
    Oceansaway Member Posts: 25
    Options
    SueRelays said:

When they did routine organ
    When they did routine organ scans during my anal cancer, they saw a spot on my lung. Watched it every 3 months, and it eventually grew enough to worry. Very small, so caught early, but biopsy indicated it was cancer. Oncologist swears the anal cancer could not have spread to the lung, and as it turned out it was a completely different non smoking lung cancer. Had a 1/5 of my lung removed same year I did chemo and radiation. This year anal mets to liver. Just had a liver resction where they took 1/2 of my liver. Not sure why with Stage I it keeps coming back harder, but I keep fighting it!!!! 51 years old, nad have am now a 3 x survivor. WE CAN DO IT!!!!!

Thank you
    Thank you so much for the support and love! Like many others, I also find this site tremendously educating! It is nice to have people to bounce off ideas and share the fear and courage (at the same time) that we sometimes do not want to share with people who have no experience.
  • kayb48
    kayb48 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    I had a small nodule on my
    I had a small nodule on my right lung. My Dr. tried to get me to wait 3 months and do another scan, but I had it removed the next week and it turned out to be nothing.
  • SueRelays
    SueRelays Member Posts: 485
    Options
    Anything new on your Dad???

Anything new on your Dad???
  • Wenchie
    Wenchie Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Lung Nodule
    Oceans:
    The nodule might be too small to show uptake on a PET scan. I too have lung nodules and after a CTScan, I had a lung biopsy which only took minutes and was painless. My lung nodules did turn out to be colon cancer cells and I'm back on chemo. Check into the lung biopsy just to put your mind at ease. A fine needle is inserted in the back into the nodule while you're in the CTScan and a tissue sample is taken by the needle.