Kind of off subject but need advice...

Options
SunnieC
SunnieC Member Posts: 37
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have many wonderful people in my life. Several people have just found out my situation and want to pray with me all the time. They were never religious with me before and therefore it has never been discussed. I have different beliefs and do not wish to offend them but would rather not go there - how can I be diplomatic and still retain their friendship?

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    I had one person who when I
    I had one person who when I had uterine cancer asked if she could pray with me. I told her that I was not a group prayer person and that I preferred to pray by myself. I also told her that if she wished to keep me in her prayers I would be eternally grateful. That seemed to do the trick without any offence and without a big explanation about my personal beliefs. Hope this helps.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Doing the egg-shell dance!
    I agree with Stef~ thank them profusely for their love and concern, but ask them to keep you in their Personal prayers during this time, just as you will also be thankful to have them in your life as you do battle with the beast. Explain that as a "private pray-er", you do your best communing in times of quiet, solitary reflection....

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Chen and Stef always seem to
    Chen and Stef always seem to have the right answers and I agree with them whole-heartedly. I've been in the same boat - a few friends want to put me on their churches prayer list, but I politely declined and said that I would prefer their private prayers.

I also hope that I don't offend anyone here when I tell them I'll keep them in my prayers.

Sue
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    I really agree with the

I really agree with the others. I have done the same. I really appreciate people thinking enough of me to pray for me and I always let them know. However I prefer for them to pray in the format they feel comfortable with and for me to pray in a format that reflects the depth of my integrity. Sometimes the formats are not compatible and are best done away apart.
  • WJGardner_Dec2009
    Options
    Beliefs
    Sunnie,

I would think you could maybe let know you have other beliefs but thank them for keeping you in their prayers. I have had alot of folks praying for me but none of them coming to me to pray with me. I think that is what has helped me through what I am going through. I did start going back to Church which is strange in itself because just at the time I found out I had cancer the Church I belonged to called to see if I would be returning after being gone for so long (I quit going after my folks were killed by a drunk driver). I felt it as an sign i guess. I would let your friends know though. If the friendship is real and solid they should be able to understand.

WJGardner (Wanda)
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

Beliefs
    Sunnie,

I would think you could maybe let know you have other beliefs but thank them for keeping you in their prayers. I have had alot of folks praying for me but none of them coming to me to pray with me. I think that is what has helped me through what I am going through. I did start going back to Church which is strange in itself because just at the time I found out I had cancer the Church I belonged to called to see if I would be returning after being gone for so long (I quit going after my folks were killed by a drunk driver). I felt it as an sign i guess. I would let your friends know though. If the friendship is real and solid they should be able to understand.

WJGardner (Wanda)

You could just say thank
    You could just say thank you. I was and still am on a lot of prayer lists which I like. I need all of the prayers that I can get. I just find simply stating a thanks or that would be fine usually pacifies them and you don't have to get in a deep discussion about religion. Good luck!

Megan
  • xskeetshooter
    xskeetshooter Member Posts: 169
    Options
    ?
    faith is what got me thru it all,