more stupid newbie questions

larrycimino
larrycimino Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Anal Cancer #1
Morning all,
My lips feel like they are on fire, and the inside of my mouth is so sore and raw that even jello hurts right now. Any recipes for a magic mouthwash out there?

Thanks, oh, and someone asked that I update my "About Me" page. Will do as soon as possible.

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Mouth sores
    Hi Larry--

What you are experiencing is a common side effect of the chemo. You need to bring this to the attention of your oncologist or the oncology nurse right away. You mention a magic mouthwash--well, there is such a thing and they call it Magic Mouthwash! But it's a prescription formula and your doctor will need to order it for you. Don't delay in getting some! Also, swishes water with baking soda (1/2 teaspoon baking soda to 1/2 cup water) may help. Try to avoid foods and liquids that are too hot or too cold. Also, use a toothpaste called Biotene. It will cause way less stinging than regular toothpaste. Make sure to use a very soft toothbrush. If brushing becomes intolerable, a sponge-tipped swab may be used. For the lip burning, try a thin layer of petroleum jelly applied at night before bedtime. Avoid using any products on your mouth or lips that contain alcohol or glycerin. Hope one or more of these suggestions help!
  • lizdeli
    lizdeli Member Posts: 569 Member
    Mouth Sores
    Larry,
    Try the baking soda and water and rinse several times a day. Also, Abreva will help with the burning on the lips.
    Liz
  • lemonade
    lemonade Member Posts: 63
    Hello -
    I haven't done my

Hello -

I haven't done my info page yet either. I have to get on that as well.

My mouth had so many sores that I ended up just drinking Ensure. Soft serve ice cream and shakes were good, also.

My doctor gave me a Rx for Caphosol. It helped the most. It is 2-part mouth rinse. I think Walgreen's or CVS has a special over-the-counter mouthwash for cancer patients, also. I know what you are going through. It was horrible. I didn't have a problem with it on the second round of chemo though. Hopefully, you won't either.

Barbara
  • larrycimino
    larrycimino Member Posts: 9
    lemonade said:

Hello -
    I haven't done my

Hello -

I haven't done my info page yet either. I have to get on that as well.

My mouth had so many sores that I ended up just drinking Ensure. Soft serve ice cream and shakes were good, also.

My doctor gave me a Rx for Caphosol. It helped the most. It is 2-part mouth rinse. I think Walgreen's or CVS has a special over-the-counter mouthwash for cancer patients, also. I know what you are going through. It was horrible. I didn't have a problem with it on the second round of chemo though. Hopefully, you won't either.

Barbara

mouthwash being mixed
    Getting ready to head to Walgreens to pick up the formula prescribed by my chemo oncologist this morning. Thanks everybody for the tips - will grab some Abreva also.
  • SueRelays
    SueRelays Member Posts: 485

mouthwash being mixed
    Getting ready to head to Walgreens to pick up the formula prescribed by my chemo oncologist this morning. Thanks everybody for the tips - will grab some Abreva also.

Dang I thought about
    Dang I thought about mentioning that to you initially. Not everyone suffers from it....but I did. A woman I was talking to at radiology one day brought me in some special mouthwash that helped as well. Good news....it didn't last long. Brushing teeth was a challenge as well...but looks like everyone has hooked you up with the right stuff!!

HAPPY MONDAY!