I finally got a port

Options
jamiegww
jamiegww Member Posts: 384
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
For those of you who advised me when I was trying to decide whether or not to get chemo and then whether or not to get a port, I just wanted to let you know that I got my port last Thursday and followed it with my second dose of chemo the same day (after trying the first dose with a PICC line). After extreme nausea day three of the first dose, I changed oncs and this time was soooooooooooo much better. The new onc knows how to prevent nausea and she even hugs!!! I wish I had started with her and maybe I wouldn't have had so much trouble deciding what to do. It's obviously important to get the right doctors. Thank you all for your support and advice. I look forward to keeping in touch with you.

Hugs,
Jamie

Comments

• dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    Great Jamie! I'm glad you
    Great Jamie! I'm glad you found an ONC who listens to you....you were obviously so aprehensive before ....I hope things continue to go better for you...
    Dee
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    dyaneb123 said:

Great Jamie! I'm glad you
    Great Jamie! I'm glad you found an ONC who listens to you....you were obviously so aprehensive before ....I hope things continue to go better for you...
    Dee

glad you found a comfort
    glad you found a comfort zone its so hard when you are trying to make decisions. and deal with the chemo etc....
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Options
    So glad it's going better!
    Jamie,

I'm so glad you've found the right doctor for you--especially a doctor who knows how to adjust meds to help the chemo go more smoothly! That is hugely important!!

I'm really glad I got a port--it is really easy to give the blood for the blood tests as well as to have the chemo. I probably need to remind myself of how easy it is compared to them trying to set up everything in a new vein every time so I will appreciate it more!

Hang in there!

Sandy
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options

So glad it's going better!
    Jamie,

I'm so glad you've found the right doctor for you--especially a doctor who knows how to adjust meds to help the chemo go more smoothly! That is hugely important!!

I'm really glad I got a port--it is really easy to give the blood for the blood tests as well as to have the chemo. I probably need to remind myself of how easy it is compared to them trying to set up everything in a new vein every time so I will appreciate it more!

Hang in there!

Sandy

Hi Jamie,
    I'm glad you made your decision to get chemo, when it's over you will feel glad you that you did. I love my port and use it for everything. I hope to keep it for as long as I can.

I love my onc (she hugs too) and really listens etc. Before my first chemo, at patient education, I left with a fistful of Rx's for side effects and felt free to call 24/7. It must be awful not to trust or like your onc. I'm so glad you found a doc you like and can relate to. This stuff is too important not to have a good relationship with your onc.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Skeezie said:

Hi Jamie,
    I'm glad you made your decision to get chemo, when it's over you will feel glad you that you did. I love my port and use it for everything. I hope to keep it for as long as I can.

I love my onc (she hugs too) and really listens etc. Before my first chemo, at patient education, I left with a fistful of Rx's for side effects and felt free to call 24/7. It must be awful not to trust or like your onc. I'm so glad you found a doc you like and can relate to. This stuff is too important not to have a good relationship with your onc.

Hugs, Judy :-)

Hi Jamie
    Thank you for posting I was wondering about you. I am glad that you are comfortable with your decision and moving forward with your treatment as well. Finding a right doc is a critical for success, so you have done it too!
    Good luck with the rest of your Chemo and keep in tough.
    New Flower
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    good for you for finding
    good for you for finding another oncologist that is much better and for getting the port.

BTW: I also had my port put in on thursday.
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Options

good for you for finding
    good for you for finding another oncologist that is much better and for getting the port.

wishing you the best
    wishing you the best!

teresa
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

good for you for finding

Glad you got another
    Glad you got another oncologist that made your chemo easier for you. Hang in there!
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi Jamie
    I'm relieved to hear you made the decision to move forward with Chemo & the port. The port isn't so bad once you adjust to it. I couldn't imagine doing Chemo without it. Glad you changed Onc's! You shouldn't of had to suffer with any discomfort like that at all!(I'm jealous that you have a female!) I soooo understand the importance of having a doctor with whom you feel comfortable with & trust! I started with referrals, thought that the doctors were doing what was in my best interest, then ended up seeking out QUALITY care on my own. We have to do what's best for us. I have now basically started treatment all over again, so I too wish I would of had it right the first time! Keep us posted on how you're doing.
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Cat64 said:

Hi Jamie
    I'm relieved to hear you made the decision to move forward with Chemo & the port. The port isn't so bad once you adjust to it. I couldn't imagine doing Chemo without it. Glad you changed Onc's! You shouldn't of had to suffer with any discomfort like that at all!(I'm jealous that you have a female!) I soooo understand the importance of having a doctor with whom you feel comfortable with & trust! I started with referrals, thought that the doctors were doing what was in my best interest, then ended up seeking out QUALITY care on my own. We have to do what's best for us. I have now basically started treatment all over again, so I too wish I would of had it right the first time! Keep us posted on how you're doing.
    Hugz,
    Cathy

Jamie, sending you good luck
    Jamie, sending you good luck with chemo! I know you struggled with the decision.

Take care!

Sue :)