Questions about Dexascan bone density

Options
blackroze1000
blackroze1000 Member Posts: 50
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I received a call from the hospital saying my doctor has ordered a Dexascan for me on 3/4/10. Can anyone tell me what is involved with the procedure? Does it involve shots, intraveneous or otherwise? How long does it take? Do I need anyone to drive me there/home? Fear of the unknown drives me crazy!

Elaine

Comments

• roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Ihad a bone density test.
    I don't know if it was the type that was ordered for you but it was the easiest test ever. They just had me lie down and a scanner went over me. No shots, no drinks. Good luck.

Roseann
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Ihad a bone density test.
    I don't know if it was the type that was ordered for you but it was the easiest test ever. They just had me lie down and a scanner went over me. No shots, no drinks. Good luck.

Roseann

If it's a bone scan to check
    If it's a bone scan to check for osteoporosis then, yeah it's just a scan.
    No meds..just lay down and the machine goes over you.
    If it's to check for bone cancers, then it's a little more complicated but still not bad. They give you something...I can't remember if you drink it or if they inject it....that shows any hot spots...after they give it to you , you have to wait an hour or so before they can do the scan so that it is absorbed...(I went to lunch...they gave me a voucher for the cafeteria...)and then you get in the machine and it scans you. They say they will call you if there is a problem....so no news is good news...although you can call in a couple of days for results..and then your ONC. will tell you the results on your next visit.
  • Cairmaid
    Cairmaid Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Dexascan is easy-peasy
    I had a dexascan last fall, because I told my PCP I was having hip and knee pain. You just lie down and keep still (the hardest part). The machine does all the work. No injections, no meds and I drove myself there & back.
  • blackroze1000
    Options
    Thank you all!
    I feel much better. I've been poked and prodded so many times, I should be used to it by now, but I'm not. I still get the willies. Thanks for letting me know what to expect!

Elaine
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options

Thank you all!
    I feel much better. I've been poked and prodded so many times, I should be used to it by now, but I'm not. I still get the willies. Thanks for letting me know what to expect!

Elaine

Elaine...
    As others have already described, a dexa scan is not "invasive"... Had my first one immediately following rads. Now, every two years because I take Arimidex.

Prior to BC - needles didn't bother me, at all. Ever since - and like you are now - I'm totally needle phobic! Have been told this is quite common for us, unfortunately. Hoping yours will diminish over time - mine hasn't!

Kind regards, Susan
  • blackroze1000
    Options

Elaine...
    As others have already described, a dexa scan is not "invasive"... Had my first one immediately following rads. Now, every two years because I take Arimidex.

Prior to BC - needles didn't bother me, at all. Ever since - and like you are now - I'm totally needle phobic! Have been told this is quite common for us, unfortunately. Hoping yours will diminish over time - mine hasn't!

Kind regards, Susan

Susan
    Thanks for the info, Susan. And it's true -- I'm a total needle freak! =) I have to ask you seriously, though, how is Arimidex working for you because that's coming next for me. I'll need to take it for the next 5 years and I'm hearing the good, the bad, and the ugly. What's your take on it?

Elaine