Options
2»

Comments

• Susan523
    Susan523 Member Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    kayandok said:

Dearest Susan,
    I'm so glad to see you back on the board!!! I think you started the gemzar at the same time I did gemzar/cisplatin. I can tell you are tired and disappointed. I certainly can relate to that.

I was dx a year after you, and I started 3rd line chemo in September and just keep going, although I'm not in remission. I don't know if I ever will be, and I don't dwell on it, but take my life a day at a time. NOT EASY, and took a lot of processing to get here.

I think it is impossible for friends and even family to completely understand what we go through and how to support. I am also so deeply grateful for my husband who is always there. Thank goodness your husband hasn't "vanished". Try to focus on all the good in your life. I have learned which friends I can lean on and which friends I can't.

Susan, take some time to heal and refresh yourself, not focus on the cancer. You deserve a break!!!

Praying for you today,
    kathleen:)

V V V V real reply landed below V V V V
    (I'm having technical problems!) LOL
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Susan...
    Your story is very

Susan...

Your story is very inspiring to those of us who have just started. Almost four years! That's great! I have good friends whose next door neighbor is more than 10 years out, diagnosed at stage 3c. Her longest remission has been 12 months, but she's still kicking. She has gone back to work and just bought a new car.

I have "talked" to another survivor via the internet who was diagnosed 14 years ago (also stage 3) and has had 13 rounds of chemo. I know that does not sound nearly as good as dancing forever with NED, but it sure beats the alternative.

I have just finished my initial 6 sessions of carbo/taxol. On March 3rd I go for the CT scan that will tell the tale: am I in remission, or not. CA125 has been normal for a while now. If I am privileged to dance with NED, it will be a bittersweet waltz, indeed. I have agreed to do a year of monthly Taxol treatments, with the hope of extending the remission.

It has been reassuring to watch my tumor marker go steadily down these last months. I looked forward to having my labs drawn every three weeks. I would have them done every week, if I could.

I have also experienced a leveling off of concern from friends and family. People that used to call every day now email instead, and usually just to forward those silly "feel good" things that we've all seen way too much of. I think it's just human nature. Anything becomes the norm if it goes on long enough.

Carlene
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Susan...
    Your story is very

Susan...

Your story is very inspiring to those of us who have just started. Almost four years! That's great! I have good friends whose next door neighbor is more than 10 years out, diagnosed at stage 3c. Her longest remission has been 12 months, but she's still kicking. She has gone back to work and just bought a new car.

I have "talked" to another survivor via the internet who was diagnosed 14 years ago (also stage 3) and has had 13 rounds of chemo. I know that does not sound nearly as good as dancing forever with NED, but it sure beats the alternative.

I have just finished my initial 6 sessions of carbo/taxol. On March 3rd I go for the CT scan that will tell the tale: am I in remission, or not. CA125 has been normal for a while now. If I am privileged to dance with NED, it will be a bittersweet waltz, indeed. I have agreed to do a year of monthly Taxol treatments, with the hope of extending the remission.

It has been reassuring to watch my tumor marker go steadily down these last months. I looked forward to having my labs drawn every three weeks. I would have them done every week, if I could.

I have also experienced a leveling off of concern from friends and family. People that used to call every day now email instead, and usually just to forward those silly "feel good" things that we've all seen way too much of. I think it's just human nature. Anything becomes the norm if it goes on long enough.

Carlene

great stories
    Carlene,

Thanks for sharing the longevity stories of your two aquaintances. It sure gives me hope.
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Susan523 said:

Thank you for the support
    Hi, Nancy,

And thank you for your support and being here for me.

I understand what you mean when you see people abusing their bodies, and here we are struggling to live! I have 3 sisters and 3 nieces, ALL of whom smoke. I was the only non-smoker in the family, and I was active, doing swim aerobics 3x a week and trying to stay in shape. I was stunned when I was diagnosed stage 3c in May'06

You are absolutely right when you say life goes on for everyone else, and we are stuck in our reality. Isn't that so true? And as life is going on for many of our friends and family, they seem to forget about us. Maybe it is because they don't understand or they just don't know what to say. But I just with they'd say -something-, ya know?

Well, I must say that you look GREAT! Was that photo taken recently?? Very nice.

Best of luck with this treatment, and I hope it goes by quick for you.

(((Hugs)))
    ~Susan xoxo

thank you
    Thank you for the compliment. The picture was taking Feb. 13th weekend. My sister was getting married. I was soooo not looking forward to going...it seemed like too much effort. Once I found a dress I liked it really lifted my spirits. It was really nice to get dressed up.

I am on Doxil indefinately...hopefully it will work for awhile. I have a PETscan this Wednesday.