lost range of motion in my left shoulder ANY tips to help?

Options
Sharon40
Sharon40 Member Posts: 93
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am seeing a Physical Therapist 2 times a week, and trying to excercise a few times each day. My husband has even built me a pulley! But I still can't get my arm to move around that much. I didn't move it much from Dec. 11 to Feb 1st due to 3 surgerys (2 with drains). I wish I had kept excercising it, but I had no idea it would "freeze up" like it has! Anyone else doing this? I would love to hear it gets better without all this excercising (ha, ha . . . I live in dream world)!!

Comments

• sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Dear Sharon,For my bursitis
    Dear Sharon,

For my bursitis (same side as the BC, it's heat, massage, anti-inflamatories and, gasp, excersize. I always start with walking my fingers up the wall for as high as I can go for as long as I can take it.

But do whatever is approved by your team. This, too, will pass. Until then, chocolate & Ben & Jerrys Chunky Monkey!

Sue
  • dancingfan
    dancingfan Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Range of motion in left shoulder...
    Hi Sharon,
    I would just keep trying. I have been doing arm exercises for almost two years now. I first started after my mastectomy and have continued ever since. Follow your Therapists exercises and do these twice a day until you reach your goal. I remember that I would ice up my shoulder after my exercise to relieve the pain. I have regained full range in my arm and shoulder. I find that my shoulder feels tight and aches if I miss even one night of exercise! It sounds like you are on the right track. Don't give up because it will get better with exercise.
    Best wishes,
    Gloria
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Such a good question. I had
    Such a good question. I had bilateral mastectomy with Latissimus flap recon in Sept 09. 2 nodes were removed from the left side and had to have more tissue-etc removed. I am still having trouble with shoulder and arm muscles. I am having exchange surgery next week and if range of motion or pain keeps bothering me I am considering asking about pt to help. I keep hoping time will be on our side. Take care. Marilyn
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Same for Me
    Sharon, I also am seeing a PT twice a week and doing exercises. There isn't any other way I've been told of get that range of motion back. I do feel your pain, really!

Best of luck to you. If you learn of an easier way, please share. In the meantime, know that you have many sisters in pink exercising right along with you.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

Range of motion in left shoulder...
    Hi Sharon,
    I would just keep trying. I have been doing arm exercises for almost two years now. I first started after my mastectomy and have continued ever since. Follow your Therapists exercises and do these twice a day until you reach your goal. I remember that I would ice up my shoulder after my exercise to relieve the pain. I have regained full range in my arm and shoulder. I find that my shoulder feels tight and aches if I miss even one night of exercise! It sounds like you are on the right track. Don't give up because it will get better with exercise.
    Best wishes,
    Gloria

I agree with Gloria
    you need to follow your PT recommendations and do your stretches every day. It took me 1 year to get it back and I have been continued exercises every day. You will see very gradual improvement and have to have a serious commitment and going through a lot of pain.
    Best wishes,
    New Flower
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Keep moving
    Sharon,

After my surgery I tried to be very careful about my incisions and didn't move my arm much. No one told me that my range of motion would decrease so by the time I went to a PT I couldn't lift my arm up to my shoulder level (let alone above my head). It will take some time but keep doing the exercises every day and it will get better. I now have full range of motion.

Good luck!
  • Sharon40
    Options
    I knew I wasn't the only one :)
    I knew there were others doing the finger walks up the wall!! I just wish I had known right after surgery to keep that arm moving some. I have never broken any bones and had no idea you would loose so much ability in such a short time! My PT says even a week of not moving and you will be in trouble. I feel so sorry for folks who are in casts and can't move at all for 6 weeks! OH well, more strecthes for me. I have started massaging the scar tissue as well. I had no idea about scar tissue and how it messes you up!! You really do have a lot to learn when you have to fight this BEAST of ours!! Good luck to all!
  • SurviveCancerCher
    Options
    Try it can't hurt
    Sharon,
    I know this is going to sound stupid and not a real possibility BUT it worked for my range motion after I broke my humerus which lead to my knowing had breast cancer. My husband got me the WII Fit board and I used the exercises on it, I have almost full motion back in both shoulders right one due to breaking it and left one due to mastectomy. Just a thought it worked for me and I know others it has helped as well

Good luck
    Cheryl
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    It will be two years in
    It will be two years in April since my bilateral mastectomy. About a year ago, tried intensive physical therapy, with limited success. I have also been practicing yoga. It seems s-l-o-w-l-y, my shoulder ROM is improving and I have less pain. I was told by my radiologist during my last visit that scar tissue can continue forming for a year after the end of radiation! So that can explain continuous chest tightness that can add to shoulder problems.

I so appreciate all the posts and sharing about this issue. I thought it was just poor me!

xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • Sharon40
    Options

Try it can't hurt
    Sharon,
    I know this is going to sound stupid and not a real possibility BUT it worked for my range motion after I broke my humerus which lead to my knowing had breast cancer. My husband got me the WII Fit board and I used the exercises on it, I have almost full motion back in both shoulders right one due to breaking it and left one due to mastectomy. Just a thought it worked for me and I know others it has helped as well

Good luck
    Cheryl

so funny
    That is so funny. My husband and 8 year old daughter play all the time on the Wii since Christmas. I have declined thinking I didn't want to hurt my shoulder! Ha, Ha
    I think I will give it a try!! Thanks