Update T1A

Options
peggy seay
peggy seay Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Jim's surgery scheduled for the 23rd at UT Med Center in Knoxville has been canceled after closer inspection of the endoscopy ultrasound. Two nodules were discovered around the area that will be extracted; however the doctors believe that chemo will be needed prior to as opposed to after. Originally we were not anticipating chemo at all but things have changed. We have our consultation on Mar 8 and his first treatment will be on the 11th. When we find out about the length and extent of treatments I am sure that I will check in with all of you guys for advice. To all of you that I have been reading about you are in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks so much for all of the support.
Peggy

Comments

• Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Hi peggy and Jim,
    Welcome to

Hi peggy and Jim,
    Welcome to our csn family. Chemo being done first is a normal route to take before surgery alot of the time. They want the tumors to shrink before they do the surgery. I am a caregiver for my dad, Ray, beat ec cancer in 11/09 with radiation and oral chemo, and now has mets to his liver. Spent 8 days in hospital week before Christmas with a blocked bile duct, had stent put in bile duct, and a stent put in esophagus to open up where scar tissue had formed. Now he is taking oral chemo again to fight and beat these mets to his liver. Yes, this is a very long and bumpy road, but there is light at the end of this tunnel! Hang in there. Keep positive. Keep a strong faith. Best of luck to both of you. keep us posted.\
    Tina
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • K_ann1015
    K_ann1015 Member Posts: 500
    Options
    pre=op chemo is a smart idea
    Hi Peggy

my dad had pre-op chemo rad at Duke---and from all that I read (and how he is dong) it is the best thing we could have done! I understand that the esophagus tissue's nature --spread cancer quickly but can't always be captured by our tests----so the pre op chemo shrinks what is there---so it can be treated more effectively--for the next stage of treatment.

keep us informed--you will have a lot of support on this web site
    Kim