Compression Sleeve

Options
aztec45
aztec45 Member Posts: 757
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I made an appt. with a physical therapist to get a compression sleeve. She is a very nice little young lady. Anyway, I found out I need to wear a sleeve when I work due to the nature of my work (lot of lifting, climbing, carrying tools). When she measured me for the sleeve, she said my arm was slightly swollen so a sleeve is in order. She gave me a place to order it online if anyone needs a sleeve. You will need to have someone certified in compression sleeve measurements to take your measurements so you can order it.

My next visit, she is going to show me some exercises to help move the fluid to my other lymph nodes. I will share this information with you if you are interested.

I have also been having problems with my shoulder. It could be work related or it could be chemo related. It started during chemo. I have like a pinched nerve. My fingers go numb when I sleep. So she is going to help me with that. What I like about her is that she is going to help me do some things on my own so that she doesn't burn my allotted visit.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. I know we have a lot of sisters who are struggling to deal with cancer, the day-to-day, finances, and family. We have sisters who are going to have some serious surgery or are recovering from serious surgery. We also have a very dear sister who lost her mom. I will light a candle for all of us today and my prayer is that we are all provided with the strength to endure our cancer and deal with whatever comes from it.

Love,

P

Comments

• natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Good info. I purchased a
    Good info. I purchased a compression sleeve at a local medical supply shop recently for my flight next week. They measured and fitted me right there.

I'm getting tingling in 3 fingers in my left hand on the side of my port. My onc said it probably is some nerve damage. Surgery was on the right side. I havent seen a PT. Would be interested to know what they suggest for your fingers.

Thank you for sharing Aztec.
  • helen e
    helen e Member Posts: 223
    Options
    natly15 said:

Good info. I purchased a
    Good info. I purchased a compression sleeve at a local medical supply shop recently for my flight next week. They measured and fitted me right there.

I'm getting tingling in 3 fingers in my left hand on the side of my port. My onc said it probably is some nerve damage. Surgery was on the right side. I havent seen a PT. Would be interested to know what they suggest for your fingers.

Thank you for sharing Aztec.

Me too
    I had to go get measured for mine and am just waiting for it to get here. My pt told me to get one even though I'm not really having any problems. She said that when I fly or exercise I should have it on. I guess I'll see what happens.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    My sleeves and glove were
    My sleeves and glove were ordered a week ago yesterday but so far only the night sleeve (which was custom ordered) has come in. My arm measurements fit in perfectly for an off the shelf sleeve but hand is 'wierd', palm is quite wide but fingers are very short so glove has to be custom. Already knew that as finding any gloves that fits is hard. Hopefully will be in Monday.

Prayers for those in need.
  • Sharon40
    Sharon40 Member Posts: 93
    Options
    trying to get the swelling down first
    We (my PT and I) are trying to get the swelling down first before we order my compression sleve. I have been working so hard on getting my range of motion back, that we have NOT been wrapping my arm when I go, like we had been doing early on. I keep measuring at home to make sure it is not getting worse, and so far it hasn't. I hope by getting some movement back in my arm, that the lymph nodes will start working better!! What a pain in the "bahociwochi" these little lymph nodes have turned out to be. LOL
  • aztec45
    Options
    Sharon40 said:

trying to get the swelling down first
    We (my PT and I) are trying to get the swelling down first before we order my compression sleve. I have been working so hard on getting my range of motion back, that we have NOT been wrapping my arm when I go, like we had been doing early on. I keep measuring at home to make sure it is not getting worse, and so far it hasn't. I hope by getting some movement back in my arm, that the lymph nodes will start working better!! What a pain in the "bahociwochi" these little lymph nodes have turned out to be. LOL

Keep at It
    Keep at it. As long as you work to get the swelling down, you should not have any lasting effects from the swelling.

Good Luck,

P
  • aztec45
    Options
    I Will
    I will let you know at the end of this week what exercises my little tharapist taught me.

Have a great week.

P
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Compression Sleeve for Me, Too
    Thanks for posting this, P. I, too, just got a compression sleeve. My measurements fit the standard size as well. My PT agreed that I should wear it when flying or doing any unusual lifting.

RE has posted photos so I knew what sleeves looked like, but it was still a relief to find that the flesh-colored material is inconspicuous. Now I know I won't feel awkward with the sleeve on in public.
  • aztec45
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Compression Sleeve for Me, Too
    Thanks for posting this, P. I, too, just got a compression sleeve. My measurements fit the standard size as well. My PT agreed that I should wear it when flying or doing any unusual lifting.

RE has posted photos so I knew what sleeves looked like, but it was still a relief to find that the flesh-colored material is inconspicuous. Now I know I won't feel awkward with the sleeve on in public.

Don't Feel
    Don't feel self-conscience. You need it to remain healthy. It's like wearing ortho socks or something. You don't want to wear them but you have to.

Take care.

P
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    Compression Sleeves
    Hello Ladies, I have worn a compression sleeve and glove for more than 7 years now. I wear mine nearly every day as it eases the pain and aids in controlling the swelling. I also go to PT to help with the pain, spasms and swelling. They have given me the exercises to do and highly suggest icing after exercise to prevent swelling. One with lymphedema must be careful not to over do the arm with lift, and such as once the swelling begins it does not reverse. I do not wish to be a bearer of bad news I only wish to make you aware. Lymph nodes once destroyed do not repair themselves, the message we learn to do helps to aid the lymph fluid to move through the arm and lessen the swelling, should we become lax in the message the swelling and soreness will return. Wearing my sleeve daily helps to move the lymph fluid a bit simply by the compression. It is also good to wear your sleeve to protect your arm from infection as it is very east to get a serious infection because of the lack of proper lymph fluid which protect us from infections. Wearing the sleeve wards off scratches and such which could cause problems. Here is an excellent site for you to read if you so desire: http://lymphedema.org/ just copy and paste it to your address bar and it should come right up. I also am careful to wear rubber gloves when cleaning around the house so as not to injure my bad hand and arm, oh year those silly Ove Gloves are a gem, I have several and they have saved me from burned the lymphedema hand many a time. Hope this helps a bit.

RE