Abdomin Ascites fluid build up.....

Options
dog_lover
dog_lover Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, Has anyone with ascites had a "denverbio" port installed in your upper abdomin in order to self drain your abdomin of fluid? My doctor suggested it yesterday. It looks scary to actually drain yourself but at the sametime, NOT being jabbed with a needle is great too.

I looked at the patient usage video (you can go to the denverbio website to view it) and it shows a large dressing that stays on your upper abdomin. Does that mean that you can never shower or bathe again?

Thanks for any information on this!
Shirley

Comments

• Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Options
    I believe I have some good news...
    I checked out the website you referenced, Shirley. Unless I am seriously mistaken, the port you describe works the same way that traditional post-mastectomy drains do.

The vacuum bulb basically does all the work. All you (or a caregiver) have to do is drain or replace the bulb when it gets full and keep the connecting tube clear of "stuff." Moopy had two drains down below her scar; I believe she kept the dressing on when she showered and then I would replace the wet dressing with a dry one after she had dried off.

I think that Moopy (who is fast asleep right now or I would ask her) would agree that the drains were more of a hassle than anything else... and, like you say, far better than the alternative way of draining the fluid.

Your fellow dog lover (we have three of the beasts),
    Joe
  • dog_lover
    dog_lover Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Aortus said:

I believe I have some good news...
    I checked out the website you referenced, Shirley. Unless I am seriously mistaken, the port you describe works the same way that traditional post-mastectomy drains do.

The vacuum bulb basically does all the work. All you (or a caregiver) have to do is drain or replace the bulb when it gets full and keep the connecting tube clear of "stuff." Moopy had two drains down below her scar; I believe she kept the dressing on when she showered and then I would replace the wet dressing with a dry one after she had dried off.

I think that Moopy (who is fast asleep right now or I would ask her) would agree that the drains were more of a hassle than anything else... and, like you say, far better than the alternative way of draining the fluid.

Your fellow dog lover (we have three of the beasts),
    Joe

ascites buildup
    Thank you! When I looked at the video it just showed the one change of dressing.....you are right, just put a new clean dry one on!

Thank you for your help!