Naseau and vomitting

Options
lindadanis
lindadanis Member Posts: 235
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Ed has not had chemo for three weeks, as you all know, he did three rounds of cisplatin and campostar and last week's pet scan showed it did nothing at all, in fact, this horrible cancer even grew more to his liver and abdomen. Now he is suppose to start oxalipatin by iv and xeloda six pills daily starting this upcoming monday. He has been very very down since the bad news of his pet scan, in fact, has ate nothing all week and drank very little, saw the doctor today and did iv hydration. He has been vomitting for past three days and today even worse, they put in naseau med's into his iv and he is still vomitting. We gave him zofram and still continues., has the chills, seems not right. What do you think is wrong here. oncologists thinks it's nerves, I am very very concerned about the starting of xeloda since he will be trying to put down six pills daily, cannot crush them., I am worried to death that he will choke. On top of all this, he now tells me that he saw blood in his vomit yesterday. any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Oh Linda,
    So sorry you are

Oh Linda,
    So sorry you are going through this. What a horrible experience you are both having. I would think that he would not be able to take the xeloda until the vomitting stops. Blood in the vomit is not a good sign, but it could be coming from the amount and frequency of his vomiting. His throat could be raw and irritated. Once this stops, and he starts the xeloda, he should do just fine. My dad is doing very well with the xeloda. Does your husband have a stent in his esophagus? This has helped my dad with the swallowing of the 6 pills. Best of luck. Prayers continue for both of you daily.
    Tina
  • Oh Linda,
    So sorry you are

Oh Linda,
    So sorry you are going through this. What a horrible experience you are both having. I would think that he would not be able to take the xeloda until the vomitting stops. Blood in the vomit is not a good sign, but it could be coming from the amount and frequency of his vomiting. His throat could be raw and irritated. Once this stops, and he starts the xeloda, he should do just fine. My dad is doing very well with the xeloda. Does your husband have a stent in his esophagus? This has helped my dad with the swallowing of the 6 pills. Best of luck. Prayers continue for both of you daily.
    Tina

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Emend
    I agree with bailey. Emend is one of the best anti nausea meds. And ativan is also great. Dad is also taking ativan for anxiety. It does also help with nausea. Thinking of you today! :) Hugs to Ed.
    Tina
  • lindadanis
    lindadanis Member Posts: 235
    Options

Emend
    I agree with bailey. Emend is one of the best anti nausea meds. And ativan is also great. Dad is also taking ativan for anxiety. It does also help with nausea. Thinking of you today! :) Hugs to Ed.
    Tina

thanks to all of you
    thanks so much for your replies to my questions, as always, I appreciate them all.
  • Ellie_E
    Ellie_E Member Posts: 50
    Options

thanks to all of you
    thanks so much for your replies to my questions, as always, I appreciate them all.

Emend
    Emend seemed to do the trick for my husband, Jim when he was on oxalyplatin and xeloda. Now he is on cisplatin and irenotecan and is taking Kytril for the nausea.

Ellie