Opinions Requested

Options
nudgie
nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I have been considering and thinking about getting a blue ribbon tatoo with the word survivor on it for awhile, but I have never had one and would like to know the pros and cons if anyone can provide.

Comments

• dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    A couple of thoughts....
    A

A couple of thoughts....

A young gal pal has tats. She chose to have most of them where they can be seen most of the time. When she dresses up for a wedding, etc., some of her tats are in places that make the formal wear look silly. I'd chose a place that wouldn't 'clash' with favorite style clothing, etc. Her newest one is a child with a balloon that has gotten away and a Bible verse to the side. The child and balloon take up much of her right side.

Our middle son has a tat that goes from elbow to shoulder. It's very colorful and he spends a lot of time in the sun. With tanning and probably some peeling, his tat tends to fade and has to be touched up every couple of years.

I've seen cute tats on the inside of the wrist but the gal told me it hurt like heck for a long time because the skin is so sensitive there.
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    blue ribbon tattoo
    I have the star ribbon tattooed on my right shoulder, with a butterfly. Tattoos are totally awesome! :) Compared to what most of us have already experienced, the pain isn't really an issue, depending on where you are going to have it done! Look for recommendations from others who have had tattoos to find a good artist in your area. I picked mine from an article done on his art.
    mary
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    yeah... and choose a place
    yeah... and choose a place that isn't going to sag in a few years. You don't want that ribbon to cost by the YARD. ;-D
  • Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Do it. I've always wanted to
    Do it. I've always wanted to get a tatoo, but never had because I'm terrified of needles. After all I've been through, and the long road I still have left, I don't think being stuck with needles is going to be a problem. I can't get one now. With all the Avastin running through my system I'd probably bleed out on the parlor floor, but I am designing the crow tatoo that I intend to get once I'm done with this crap. The blue ribbon is a great idea. I'm also thinking about one that depicts a Champion juicer.
    Roger
  • msccolon
    Options
    Crow71 said:

Do it. I've always wanted to
    Do it. I've always wanted to get a tatoo, but never had because I'm terrified of needles. After all I've been through, and the long road I still have left, I don't think being stuck with needles is going to be a problem. I can't get one now. With all the Avastin running through my system I'd probably bleed out on the parlor floor, but I am designing the crow tatoo that I intend to get once I'm done with this crap. The blue ribbon is a great idea. I'm also thinking about one that depicts a Champion juicer.
    Roger

Avastin and tattoos
    I have 3 tattoos, 2 of which I got while in treatment. When I was getting treatment every 2 weeks, i would get the tattoo on my off week, and have them not give me Avastin the following week. No bleeding or healing problems. It only takes about a week for a tattoo to heal.
    mary
  • Crow71
    Options
    msccolon said:

Avastin and tattoos
    I have 3 tattoos, 2 of which I got while in treatment. When I was getting treatment every 2 weeks, i would get the tattoo on my off week, and have them not give me Avastin the following week. No bleeding or healing problems. It only takes about a week for a tattoo to heal.
    mary

Wow! I just assumed tattoos
    Wow! I just assumed tattoos were off limits. Thanks for the info. You never know what you're going learn on this board.
    Roger
  • just4Brooks
    just4Brooks Member Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one too
    It will go on my left calf "Cancer Warrior" in Colorectal blue.

GO FOR IT BABY!!
    Brooks
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options

I'm doing one too
    It will go on my left calf "Cancer Warrior" in Colorectal blue.

GO FOR IT BABY!!
    Brooks

TAT
    I couldn't decide where to put my tat and finally decided on the top of my foot. I wanted to be able to see it all the time. It was for me... so I needed to "see" it. I had an idea for my own design and worked with a tat artist who drew up my creation. My parents are both deceased and I wanted to honor their memory in my tat. My Dad was an avid hiker in Colorado and loved the Columbine flower (lavendar & white).... my Mom loved the yellow rose with burnt orange tips. The artist drew both of these flowers next to each other and entwined them on a green vine. It's a beautiful masterpiece and means the world to me. It takes up the entire top of my foot...and YES..it was a very painful area to get a tat... not much meat there. I get to admire it all the time in this area.... when my feet are crossed on the coffee table... in the sand...anywhere..anytime..... I say...GO FOR IT!!!! take care!

Jennie
  • msccolon
    Options

TAT
    I couldn't decide where to put my tat and finally decided on the top of my foot. I wanted to be able to see it all the time. It was for me... so I needed to "see" it. I had an idea for my own design and worked with a tat artist who drew up my creation. My parents are both deceased and I wanted to honor their memory in my tat. My Dad was an avid hiker in Colorado and loved the Columbine flower (lavendar & white).... my Mom loved the yellow rose with burnt orange tips. The artist drew both of these flowers next to each other and entwined them on a green vine. It's a beautiful masterpiece and means the world to me. It takes up the entire top of my foot...and YES..it was a very painful area to get a tat... not much meat there. I get to admire it all the time in this area.... when my feet are crossed on the coffee table... in the sand...anywhere..anytime..... I say...GO FOR IT!!!! take care!

Jennie

Sounds awesome!
    Post a pic! I wanna see! :)
    mary
  • msccolon
    Options
    Crow71 said:

Wow! I just assumed tattoos
    Wow! I just assumed tattoos were off limits. Thanks for the info. You never know what you're going learn on this board.
    Roger

No way!
    I even discussed my plans with my onc to be sure it was cool! I tell you what, if I was up to it, when I lost my hair i've always wanted a tat on my head, but alas, I wasn't up to that!
    mary
  • Crow71
    Options
    msccolon said:

Sounds awesome!
    Post a pic! I wanna see! :)
    mary

Yeah - Post a pic. And
    Yeah - Post a pic. And don't look down to admire that tattoo when yer cruisin'.
    Roger
  • ann2008
    ann2008 Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Tattoo
    I would love to see pics or sketches of everyones tats. Would love to have one in the future. I have an 18 yr old that I am trying to make postpone getting one for a while so I can't do it and ask him not to. Ann
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    Options
    Do it
    I want to do the same thing, and I think I will be doing it here soon. I would like to have one like the one in your picture. I like the wings and the blue heart. I will get one if you do!!!

Beth
  • idlehunters
    Options
    dorookie said:

Do it
    I want to do the same thing, and I think I will be doing it here soon. I would like to have one like the one in your picture. I like the wings and the blue heart. I will get one if you do!!!

Beth

PIC
    ok...let me get a pedicure..... then I will take a pic :) Hummmmm... I might have one on file somewhere....let me check that out...... Will post pic when I get one

Jennie
  • idlehunters
    Options

PIC
    ok...let me get a pedicure..... then I will take a pic :) Hummmmm... I might have one on file somewhere....let me check that out...... Will post pic when I get one

Jennie

Posted TaT pic on my expression page
    Found one on file...... not the greatest pic but it will give you the general idea...NITE!

Jennie
  • Crow71
    Options

Found one on file...... not the greatest pic but it will give you the general idea...NITE!

Jennie

Jennie - very cool.

Jennie - very cool.
  • clier
    clier Member Posts: 29
    Options
    do it
    Go for it!
  • idlehunters
    Options
    Crow71 said:

Jennie - very cool.

Jennie - very cool.

Thank You!!
    Thank you berry much!!
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    Options

Jennie

Way cool
    Thanks for sharing...

Beth
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Picture, please!
    Post a picture of it when you get it. I am personally too afraid of needles to ever consider it. *grins*

*hugs*
    Gail