Bras after bilateral

Options
pinkkari09
pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Good Morning :) Hanging in here after surgery, still in a lot of pain but doing "OK". I was wondering, I have tissue expanders in and my left breast was a radical mastectomy with a latissimus dorsi flap put in, and my right breast was a simple mastectomy "simple, whoever thought up that term" anyhow I tissue expanders under both, they are lumpy and very uneven in size which I know is normal but is there some sort of bra I can get or some sort of inserts I can use to look normal when I can get out??

Comments

• Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Kim
    So nice to see you back on the boards and doing well... a couple weeks ago someone recommended the Warner Up a Cup bra... I went out searching and finally found it at Macys Dept Store (don't know if you have one in your area). There weren't a whole lot of sizes left but I got one and it is very comfortable and actually makes me look normal again.. I think I paid $16.99 for it but if I find another one somewhere I will gladly pay more...

Take care,
    Dot
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Options
    Thank you Dot, I will check
    Thank you Dot, I will check that out!! I still have so much swelling that I'll be waiting for it to go down before I buy anything. I have also heard no underwire after mastectomies, anyone else hear this??

~Kari
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Thank you Dot, I will check
    Thank you Dot, I will check that out!! I still have so much swelling that I'll be waiting for it to go down before I buy anything. I have also heard no underwire after mastectomies, anyone else hear this??

~Kari

Correct
    That's what my doc told me too.. the Warner bra is a soft cup and no underwires...
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Dot53 said:

Correct
    That's what my doc told me too.. the Warner bra is a soft cup and no underwires...

Although my surgery was lumpectomy...
    I was also advised to dump my old underwires.

Also, maybe try the next size up for now, for comfort. When I no longer needed the larger size - I washed them well, then donated them.

Kind regards, Susan
  • BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Inserts to look normal
    KMS - When I first had bilateral, I got Priforms from a prosthetic fitter. They're made by Amoena - pretty much a little boob shaped pillow with polyfill in them. They have a slit in the back so you can put in or pull out as much polyfill as you want to look the way you want to. Later I also got what the fitter called leisure prosthetics - they're a hollow boob made of silicone - I've seen them on the ACS TLC site. As you do your fills, the prosthetic will always look the same because your new boobs will fill in the hollow. They're what I wear for swimming - in my mastectomy suit. Amoena also makes these leisure boobs.
    Hope that helps!
    Also read your post about your path report. I rejoice with you over the progress the chemo has made so far - and am disappointed with you that cancer is still in nodes. My prayers are with you as you continue treatments toward finally slaying the beast!
    Warmest wishes for your health,
    Beth