Petscan question

Options
laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
What does hotspots mean? I was told I have no hotspots on my petscan and my doctors were amazed, but my ultrasound showed otherwise. I saw my ultrasound films and saw the dark spots. I had the films to take to MRI place. I had an MRI done today, don't know about that one yet. Which test shows the most accurate results? I don't feel any lumps.

Comments

• teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Options
    hotspots
    gray or black areas that show up on tests are called hotspots, some are new cancer also some are arthritis. ive never had a petscan just a bone scan and chest x ray. you can google cancer hotspots there is a lot of info on it.wishing you the best laurissa congrats on no hotspots!

teresa
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Options
    Hot spots
    I had a petscan done after my MRI. Only two spots lit up... the cancer in my breast and the cancer in my nodes. Those are considered 'hot spots', so it's really GREAT you didn't have any! You must be sooo relieved! Congratulations and I wish you the best for continued good news!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Your breast surgeon
    wil make a call. Surgeon will talk to your Medical Oncologist and they interpret results. As far as I understand hotspots on Petscan show active cancer cells. Based on your Petscan you do not have active tumors that is the great news. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.
    New Flower
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

Your breast surgeon
    wil make a call. Surgeon will talk to your Medical Oncologist and they interpret results. As far as I understand hotspots on Petscan show active cancer cells. Based on your Petscan you do not have active tumors that is the great news. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.
    New Flower

No hot spots is good news
    No hot spots is good news Laurissa! Congrats on that!

Sue :)
  • Cindy Bear
    Cindy Bear Member Posts: 569
    Options
    Pet scan hot spots
    Hi Laurissa. I don't usually post on the BC board but come here sometimes. A good friend was diagnosed with BC and just finished treatment and I sometimes check in here. Anyhow, my mother's gyn/oncologist (uterine cancer) explained it to me like this. During a pet scan they inject this radioacive glucose solution into you and the more active (i.e. cancerous) cells will take up more of the solution and the more they take up the more they light up. There is a Pet scan measurement used called SUV = standard uptake volume. He equated it to a geiger counter. It measures how radioactive these hot spots are. Any reading over 2.7 is deemed malignancy. I hope this info. helps you. Of course any tests can have false positives or negatives.
    Take care and I am sorry you have to be a member of this group .
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Options
    Petscan
    I had my petscan post surgery and it showed no hotspots. I also totally freaked out in the machine and begged and cried to be let out. I beat on the top of the machine until the tech was afraid I would break it and then he put a fan at the top end to cool it down. I will not get another one if I can help it. LOL
    Hugs - Pat