Starting Kemo

2»

Comments

• Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Tat
    Glad to hear you finally have a plan of action! You didn't mention Herceptin in your cocktail though. Is that in the plan also? You should be doing Herceptin for a year with the Her2+ dx.
    Believe it or not, you will grow to appreciate that port over time! My surgeon had me wait at least a week before Chemo.
    You can do this! We'll be with you every step of the way.
    Prayers & Hugz,
    Cathy
  • Granny5
    Granny5 Member Posts: 1
    Starting chemo
    Hi Tat - I,too, am getting ready for my first chemo treatment. My doctor has me set up for treatments of the A-C and Taxol also. I had my mastectomy on Jan 15 and my port placed yesterday; my first treatment will be Friday, the 26th. I am apprehensive about it but if I can beat this monster, then I am up for it. I had clean margins but one of the sentinal nodes had cancer so that put me in stage 2 and now I get the chemo. The dr said I would get hormone blockers (I think that's what she said) after all my treatments are finished. She did not say anything about radiation, so looks like I may not have to go that route.

My treatments will be Fridays (I don't work on Fridays) and I am hoping that by Monday I will feel like working - just have to wait and see I suppose.

This looks to be a good support group - I know if all you other ladies can make it, so can I.

Good luck with your chemo!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Tyari said:

Same chemo treatment
    I had the Adria/cytoxan then taxol over 16 weeks with a nuelasta shot after each one. With the A/C I didn't have much in the way of being sick. THey made sure I had enough drugs to keep me moving. Demand Emend if they don't offer it! The Nuelasta is what made me sick about 2 days after the shot my lymphnodes in my neck would swell and hurt and other nasty things in the way of GI upset. With the taxol I had bone pain but only for about a week. I'd get better in time for the next treatment lol They gave me vicodin for the pain.I also had mild nuropathy in my fingers and toes, that has passed as well. Finished on Dec. 9th 09.

About 4 or 5 weeks after last dose I lost my eyebrows and eyelashes and my finger and toe nails started to pull up from the nailbeds.

But now almost 3 months down and eyebroews and lashes are back hair is growing in nicely, nails are growing out good too! Chemo is a rough road, but very doable. Even with the same treatment the side effects can/will be different. This was just my experience. Don't want to scare ya! :) You'll do great and it will be over before you know it!

Your in my thoughts. Take care
    TY

Wishing you good luck with
    Wishing you good luck with your chemo!

Sue :)
  • dctimmons
    dctimmons Member Posts: 10
    Granny5 said:

Starting chemo
    Hi Tat - I,too, am getting ready for my first chemo treatment. My doctor has me set up for treatments of the A-C and Taxol also. I had my mastectomy on Jan 15 and my port placed yesterday; my first treatment will be Friday, the 26th. I am apprehensive about it but if I can beat this monster, then I am up for it. I had clean margins but one of the sentinal nodes had cancer so that put me in stage 2 and now I get the chemo. The dr said I would get hormone blockers (I think that's what she said) after all my treatments are finished. She did not say anything about radiation, so looks like I may not have to go that route.

My treatments will be Fridays (I don't work on Fridays) and I am hoping that by Monday I will feel like working - just have to wait and see I suppose.

This looks to be a good support group - I know if all you other ladies can make it, so can I.

Good luck with your chemo!

Feb 26th? Me too!
    Hi, Granny 5 - my first chemo is scheduled for 11a Eastern, Feb 26, same day as you! T/C, not A-C and Taxol, and no port, which adds to my anxiety. I'm mostly apprehensive about how the chemo will feel going into a smaller vein.

Lumpectomy was Jan 25, followed by re-excision on Feb 12 (to get clean inferior margin). Stage IIIA, ER+, PR+, HER2-. Cancer in 4 of 8 lymph nodes, so radiation after chemo, then hormone blocker.

Like you, I chose Fridays for my treatments hoping that by Monday, I'll feel like working. My boss has been great so far and work at home is an option, if I'm not quite up to the commute.

Thanks so much for your post. I'm a lot less scared about what's going to happen on Friday now, cuz I know we can connect here.

And good luck to you Friday - I'll be thinking of you!
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    dctimmons said:

Feb 26th? Me too!
    Hi, Granny 5 - my first chemo is scheduled for 11a Eastern, Feb 26, same day as you! T/C, not A-C and Taxol, and no port, which adds to my anxiety. I'm mostly apprehensive about how the chemo will feel going into a smaller vein.

Lumpectomy was Jan 25, followed by re-excision on Feb 12 (to get clean inferior margin). Stage IIIA, ER+, PR+, HER2-. Cancer in 4 of 8 lymph nodes, so radiation after chemo, then hormone blocker.

Like you, I chose Fridays for my treatments hoping that by Monday, I'll feel like working. My boss has been great so far and work at home is an option, if I'm not quite up to the commute.

Thanks so much for your post. I'm a lot less scared about what's going to happen on Friday now, cuz I know we can connect here.

And good luck to you Friday - I'll be thinking of you!

Me too - Feb 26th starting Chemo

I am also starting chemo this Friday at 10:45am. AC and then Taxol. I had my port put in last week Thursday. And chose Friday's for the same reason as you, hoping that by Monday I will be somewhat functional for work even though I mostly work from home these days.

Also stage 3A but am Her2+, PR- and ER equivocal.

Good to know there are others who are starting chemo this Friday and we have a place to share and compare notes.

Best of luck to you!
  • tat2granny
    tat2granny Member Posts: 77
    Cat64 said:

Tat
    Glad to hear you finally have a plan of action! You didn't mention Herceptin in your cocktail though. Is that in the plan also? You should be doing Herceptin for a year with the Her2+ dx.
    Believe it or not, you will grow to appreciate that port over time! My surgeon had me wait at least a week before Chemo.
    You can do this! We'll be with you every step of the way.
    Prayers & Hugz,
    Cathy

Thanks Cat
    Yes you are right, forgot to say about the Herceptin. Have to have that one too. I was so confused the day I came back from the doc. You know how that is! Thank God, he said he didn't want to overload me with facts and figures that day. He'd explain more each time I come in. He just wanted me to get all this other stuff done before I see him again the 3rd of March. Things like this port that's going in tomorrow and I also had to have a thing done called a MUGG of my heart. So he'd have a baseline of it before kemo starts. Thanks to all here you have been a BIG GOD SEND!!!
  • dctimmons
    dctimmons Member Posts: 10

Me too - Feb 26th starting Chemo

I am also starting chemo this Friday at 10:45am. AC and then Taxol. I had my port put in last week Thursday. And chose Friday's for the same reason as you, hoping that by Monday I will be somewhat functional for work even though I mostly work from home these days.

Also stage 3A but am Her2+, PR- and ER equivocal.

Good to know there are others who are starting chemo this Friday and we have a place to share and compare notes.

Best of luck to you!

Kindred souls
    When I saw the time of your posting, I felt an immediate connection. The past few nights (once the Olympics are off), it's been so difficult getting to sleep. I find myself searching and searching for answers to questions. So many questions and they pop into my consciousness at the strangest times.

High wind warnings for tonight and more snow tomorrow. Hope I'm able to fall asleep and STAY asleep tonight!

Best of luck to you also. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.