First Appointment w/Oncologist

Options
pdv
pdv Member Posts: 56
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have my first visit with an oncologist Feb 24th. What should I expect from my first visit and what questions should I be asking?

All advice is welcome.

Thanks a million!
Pat

Comments

• Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Hi Pat,
    My first visit was in her office and she spent over an hour with my husband and me going over abslutely everything regarding my upcoming mastecomy, all of my tests and biopsy results, staging up to that point. She disgusted what type of chemo and for how long. She drew me a diagram and listed each point on a big sheet of paper (both sides), talked about the Neulasta shot and the reason. There wasn't anything left to ask. She had me taken thru the chemo room and everything was explained in there. Then I was given an appt. for "Patient Education" the following week. That was with the Nurse Practioner and she gave me a ton of instructions, possible side effects for each of the two types of chemo I was going to get. I was given Rx's for several different types of drugs. No stone was left unturned. I was told when I started chemo to call day or nite if I needed to. I then had a follow-up appt. after surgery, before chemo for blood tests and to see the doctor and she examined me and went over the chemo again etc.

You want to ask about nausea, Neulasta for your WBC, reactions to the chemo, how many clycles of chemo, what about rads, what to expect regarding side effects. Any question you are thinking about now, write down and take with you. This is your time so don't feel rushed. The more knowlege you have, the easier this is cause there are no surprises.

Good luck with your appt., it is scary and I felt a little teary on the way there, don't try to hide your feelings.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • Skeezie
    Options
    Skeezie said:

Hi Pat,
    My first visit was in her office and she spent over an hour with my husband and me going over abslutely everything regarding my upcoming mastecomy, all of my tests and biopsy results, staging up to that point. She disgusted what type of chemo and for how long. She drew me a diagram and listed each point on a big sheet of paper (both sides), talked about the Neulasta shot and the reason. There wasn't anything left to ask. She had me taken thru the chemo room and everything was explained in there. Then I was given an appt. for "Patient Education" the following week. That was with the Nurse Practioner and she gave me a ton of instructions, possible side effects for each of the two types of chemo I was going to get. I was given Rx's for several different types of drugs. No stone was left unturned. I was told when I started chemo to call day or nite if I needed to. I then had a follow-up appt. after surgery, before chemo for blood tests and to see the doctor and she examined me and went over the chemo again etc.

You want to ask about nausea, Neulasta for your WBC, reactions to the chemo, how many clycles of chemo, what about rads, what to expect regarding side effects. Any question you are thinking about now, write down and take with you. This is your time so don't feel rushed. The more knowlege you have, the easier this is cause there are no surprises.

Good luck with your appt., it is scary and I felt a little teary on the way there, don't try to hide your feelings.

Hugs, Judy :-)

Hi again Pat,
    I really need to reread my posts before I post them...that word should be abolutely, not ab****ley. What was I thinking? lol
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    Skeezie said:

Hi again Pat,
    I really need to reread my posts before I post them...that word should be abolutely, not ab****ley. What was I thinking? lol

Hey Skeezie, and i thought
    Hey Skeezie, and i thought you were slipping a curse word in there! lol
  • Skeezie
    Options
    meena1 said:

Hey Skeezie, and i thought
    Hey Skeezie, and i thought you were slipping a curse word in there! lol

Me too when I reread it
    but I couldn't figure out what it would be so I thought I'd better clarify it. What a hoot!
  • pdv
    pdv Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Skeezie said:

Me too when I reread it
    but I couldn't figure out what it would be so I thought I'd better clarify it. What a hoot!

Thanks for the Advice
    LOL ... I too thought you were saying a curse word but for the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was suppose to be...LOL
  • Cairmaid
    Cairmaid Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Questions
    I was fortunate enough to have a very good oncologist, too. She spent an hour explaining things. She had even gone online and used one of those "treatment decision tools" to help me decide on treatment options.

You need to ask questions that may be upsetting to think about (odds of recurrence for the various options) so you can make an informed decision.

You need to ask about side effects, if only to get a feel for whether or not your doctor is willing to change your meds or give you something to relieve the problems.

If your doctor doesn't ask if you've been in touch with the ACS, go online and find a local chapter. There are real, live people who will give you rides and other assistance.

Ask any question you need answered. I asked my oncologist a surgery-related question and she emailed my surgeon for me, then called me back with the answer! Oh, I hope you have a wonderful oncologist, too!