my surgery update...

Options
dash4
dash4 Member Posts: 303 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello everyone,

My surgery went more smoothly than I could have imagined. Everyone was so kind and compassionate. I had the lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy done. There were 3 nodes removed. I was fortunate to not need any drains..I know that was a blessing. Now, I wait for the pathology reports to see what is next. I feel as though I am doing so well and so grateful for completing the first step. And then I get this sudden wave of that "unknown" and I know I just need to hold on to my faith and regain my "footing".

Last night I removed the bandages and had that moment of "reality" again...sometimes a scary place to be. Again, I know that my surgery was much less than many have had to endure and I am grateful for that....but still was a "moment" for me to get through-and I did.

I woke very early this morning and have been trying to turn off my "thinking" and appreciate you listening to me...somehow I know you understand. I am still struggling so with this new world I am in and trying to find where I "fit" and missing my husband so much. I know I am not alone, but still feeling so lonely during these moments.
I am blessed with many good friends(like you) and family that are continuing their prayers and encouragement and giving me the strength and faith I need at the moment.
So, again thank you all for your prayers. I am keeping you in mine.
God Bless...
Mary Kay

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    MaryKay, glad to read your
    MaryKay, glad to read your surgery went well. Now, just take a breath and one day at a time. You'll get the results within the next couple of days of your pathology report and then you will know your treatment plan. If chemo is in the future, know that is nothing like it used to be and is all very doable now. There are excellent medications for any side effects you may experience. Just rest and recover from your surgery right now and you'll be on your way to dancing with NED sooner than you can imagine. Take care.
  • dash4
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

MaryKay, glad to read your
    MaryKay, glad to read your surgery went well. Now, just take a breath and one day at a time. You'll get the results within the next couple of days of your pathology report and then you will know your treatment plan. If chemo is in the future, know that is nothing like it used to be and is all very doable now. There are excellent medications for any side effects you may experience. Just rest and recover from your surgery right now and you'll be on your way to dancing with NED sooner than you can imagine. Take care.

Thanks for your encouraging
    Thanks for your encouraging words...having an emotional day.
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    Options
    dash4 said:

Thanks for your encouraging
    Thanks for your encouraging words...having an emotional day.

Scars
    Its understandable how you are feeling. I remember looking at my lumpectomy and node removal scars and knowing I was blessed not to have had to have a mastectomy, but yet feeling like my body had been damaged. I also did not need drains and that was a blessing. YOu will feel better as each day goes by, it just takes time to adjust. Take good care of yourself and get lots of rest. If you need chemo, we will all help you get through it.

Judy
  • dash4
    Options
    GrandmaJ said:

Scars
    Its understandable how you are feeling. I remember looking at my lumpectomy and node removal scars and knowing I was blessed not to have had to have a mastectomy, but yet feeling like my body had been damaged. I also did not need drains and that was a blessing. YOu will feel better as each day goes by, it just takes time to adjust. Take good care of yourself and get lots of rest. If you need chemo, we will all help you get through it.

Judy

again...thanks for the
    again...thanks for the encouragement. It does help to hear everyone say again and again that I will get through this, so I actually start to believe it..being one of those days though-my head is getting it, but my heart is having a rough time believing...but I will get there.
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Hi Mary Kay
    I was wondering how you were doing! So good to hear that all went well w/your surgery. Just take one day at a time and be good to yourself. Let us know how your path report comes out. Will continue to pray for you!

Blessings...
    Julie
  • dash4
    Options
    jbug said:

Hi Mary Kay
    I was wondering how you were doing! So good to hear that all went well w/your surgery. Just take one day at a time and be good to yourself. Let us know how your path report comes out. Will continue to pray for you!

Blessings...
    Julie

Julie,
    Thanks for your

Julie,
    Thanks for your prayers...I am feeling so alone at the moment. I know there are so many family and friends there, but somehow, I feel so lonely. I know I need to get past this and keep holding on...I am still spinning from the diagnosis and having the surgery done and now I am so "different". Sorry, I am babbling--think I need more sleep....
    Mary Kay