Options
2»

Comments

• Aud
    Aud Member Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    lisa42 said:

I'm a survivor!
    I know what you mean- I felt that funny feeling at that wording back when the roll call was posted (I felt "you mean I'm not a survivor since I'm still fighting it"). I know what they mean- if someone beats cancer and is NED, then people want to know "how they survived it".
    I most definitely consider myself a survivor, and I'm not NED. I've been dealing with this cancer garbage for two and a half years and I don't know that I'd still be around at this point if I didn't have the "survivor mode" switched on- that's what keeps my fighting spirit. I could have just given in long ago and prepared to die. I actually did that at first, but then realized "Nope, I'm a fighter and a SURVIVOR- I will not become one of those lousy death statistics".
    I will be a cancer survivor until/unless I die from it (or finally get that NED status or die from something else- people get in car accidents all the time- maybe it won't be cancer at all that will take me).

Here's hugs to all the other fellow Survivors out there- stay strong and keep fighting!!!!

Lisa

well said, Lisa!
    Aud

well said, Lisa!
    Aud
  • lmchils57
    lmchils57 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    Glad for your question
    I am really glad for your question because when I first got on here I almost didn't do anything with the discussion board because it was for survivors and since my son was just diagnosed with cancer I was not looking at him as a survivor yet since I was thinking of that as meaning he had beat it like my dad did. After reading what you and everyone else that posted I now am looking at him as a survivor and everyday that he survives the cancer makes him a survivor. It really is a very positive way to look at it and I am going to keep it in mind as we go through this.
    Yes I agree cancer blows. It was very heartbreaking to see my 8 year old grandson this weekend making signs all over the house that said No Cancer because his daddy has cancer.
    Thank You Very Much!!!
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    lmchils57 said:

Glad for your question
    I am really glad for your question because when I first got on here I almost didn't do anything with the discussion board because it was for survivors and since my son was just diagnosed with cancer I was not looking at him as a survivor yet since I was thinking of that as meaning he had beat it like my dad did. After reading what you and everyone else that posted I now am looking at him as a survivor and everyday that he survives the cancer makes him a survivor. It really is a very positive way to look at it and I am going to keep it in mind as we go through this.
    Yes I agree cancer blows. It was very heartbreaking to see my 8 year old grandson this weekend making signs all over the house that said No Cancer because his daddy has cancer.
    Thank You Very Much!!!

Welcome lmchils57! This is
    Welcome lmchils57! This is a great forum; I hope you find it as useful as I do! Many on this board are currently or were recently undergoing treatment. There are aslo many contributors who are NED (No Evidence of Disease) or cured. There are also caregivers/relatives or friends who regularly contribute. I am really sorry your son has cancer, but I am glad they are starting treatment quickly. I have colon cancer with 4 spots on my liver. I have not yet had surgery for the cancer in the colon or the liver mets. I had radiation with chemo last June/July. That shrunk the cancer in the colon as they hoped but it was then they realized for sure I had the liver mets. They put me on a new regimen of chemo, every 2 weeks. After 4 treatments, I had a CT scan + there was no evidence of the cancer in the colon; as well 3 of the 4 liver mets had shrunk (the other did not grow). I have now had 10 of these treatments (Folfiri + Avastin) + hopefully will hear that the chemo continues to shrink the tumours. Your son is a cancer survivor + I think it is really important to think of ourselves this way. Please tell your son I will be thinking of him as he begins his treatment.
  • lmchils57
    Options
    AnneCan said:

Welcome lmchils57! This is
    Welcome lmchils57! This is a great forum; I hope you find it as useful as I do! Many on this board are currently or were recently undergoing treatment. There are aslo many contributors who are NED (No Evidence of Disease) or cured. There are also caregivers/relatives or friends who regularly contribute. I am really sorry your son has cancer, but I am glad they are starting treatment quickly. I have colon cancer with 4 spots on my liver. I have not yet had surgery for the cancer in the colon or the liver mets. I had radiation with chemo last June/July. That shrunk the cancer in the colon as they hoped but it was then they realized for sure I had the liver mets. They put me on a new regimen of chemo, every 2 weeks. After 4 treatments, I had a CT scan + there was no evidence of the cancer in the colon; as well 3 of the 4 liver mets had shrunk (the other did not grow). I have now had 10 of these treatments (Folfiri + Avastin) + hopefully will hear that the chemo continues to shrink the tumours. Your son is a cancer survivor + I think it is really important to think of ourselves this way. Please tell your son I will be thinking of him as he begins his treatment.

Thank you for your story and
    Thank you for your story and your kind words. This is probably the toughest thing I have had to live through, we went through some really tough times three years ago that I was not sure I myself would survive (more emotionally then anything as it was not physical) but I did and I know that all of us will survive this. I have a lot of faith in God and do know that if this is Scott's time then we have to accept that but I do feel it is so he is and we are going to fight with all that we have. He has an absolutely great attitude so that is going to help him a lot and he has three wonderful little boys to live for so that too is going to help him, we have a fantastic support group in our family and friends and they too are looking for answers for us. He will make it through this!!! It is good to hear that you have had success and that gives us hope also. This discussion board is great as I get to hear what others are going through and what they have done and their results that too helps a lot.
  • AnneCan
    Options
    lmchils57 said:

Thank you for your story and
    Thank you for your story and your kind words. This is probably the toughest thing I have had to live through, we went through some really tough times three years ago that I was not sure I myself would survive (more emotionally then anything as it was not physical) but I did and I know that all of us will survive this. I have a lot of faith in God and do know that if this is Scott's time then we have to accept that but I do feel it is so he is and we are going to fight with all that we have. He has an absolutely great attitude so that is going to help him a lot and he has three wonderful little boys to live for so that too is going to help him, we have a fantastic support group in our family and friends and they too are looking for answers for us. He will make it through this!!! It is good to hear that you have had success and that gives us hope also. This discussion board is great as I get to hear what others are going through and what they have done and their results that too helps a lot.

Imchils57,
    Your son's great

Imchils57,

Your son's great attitude + his beautiful boys will take him far. It sounds like he has a great fighting spirit, which is really important. All his suppirt will make a huge difference too. Scott is lucky to have you also looking out for him + knowing you went through a tough time 3 years ago will remind him that he too can get through a difficult time. I know this must be an extremely difficult time for you; it is difficult to see our children hurting in any way, but a parent is one of the best advocates possible for their children, even when the children are adults. Take good care of yourself!
  • lmchils57
    Options
    AnneCan said:

Imchils57,
    Your son's great

Imchils57,

Your son's great attitude + his beautiful boys will take him far. It sounds like he has a great fighting spirit, which is really important. All his suppirt will make a huge difference too. Scott is lucky to have you also looking out for him + knowing you went through a tough time 3 years ago will remind him that he too can get through a difficult time. I know this must be an extremely difficult time for you; it is difficult to see our children hurting in any way, but a parent is one of the best advocates possible for their children, even when the children are adults. Take good care of yourself!

First treatment was yesterday
    Scott's first chemo treatment was yesterday. They could not start the Avastin as of yet as his blood pressure does not want to really settle down and so he is showing signs of protein in the urine, hopefully if it is the same in two weeks they will start the Avastin and not wait too long. Anyway so far he is having very mild to no reaction, I realize this may not be the way it always will be but it will help to make him a little less nervous for the next time. Man that education for the chemo was a bit overwhelming and I was taking notes but even at that not sure I remember everything, my husband was also there with our son so there were three sets of ears to listen to it all so I can ask them if they remember something I may forget.
    I am feeling a little better about things also for now so I think I can cope with work as long as they do not give me a bad time. I am a cashier so if I am having an emotional day I am hoping they will maybe find something else for me to do that day.
  • AnneCan
    Options
    lmchils57 said:

First treatment was yesterday
    Scott's first chemo treatment was yesterday. They could not start the Avastin as of yet as his blood pressure does not want to really settle down and so he is showing signs of protein in the urine, hopefully if it is the same in two weeks they will start the Avastin and not wait too long. Anyway so far he is having very mild to no reaction, I realize this may not be the way it always will be but it will help to make him a little less nervous for the next time. Man that education for the chemo was a bit overwhelming and I was taking notes but even at that not sure I remember everything, my husband was also there with our son so there were three sets of ears to listen to it all so I can ask them if they remember something I may forget.
    I am feeling a little better about things also for now so I think I can cope with work as long as they do not give me a bad time. I am a cashier so if I am having an emotional day I am hoping they will maybe find something else for me to do that day.

I am so glad his 1st
    I am so glad his 1st treatment went well; you are right, the next time should be easier because he will have a better idea of what to expect. I also have found as I have gotten to know the nurses better + they have gotten to know me, it makes a big difference. The chemo education is overwhelming but also helpful; at my cancer centre they gave us notes + I still refer to them occaisonally.
    I am glad you are feeling a little better + hope things go well for you at work. You are playing a big role, helping your son through this difficult time.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    JR said:

Silly question
    Phil,
    I knew it was a silly question when I asked it but chose to anyway. It's just one of those little things that was bugging me. The cap is for the University of Utah.

John

Not Silly at All
    Most people use one term for it but there are many ways of looking at it.
    Look around, you'll see plenty of "silly posts"