First Chemo tomorrow

jackiejhm
jackiejhm Member Posts: 169
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have heard from those I know, to go into chemo with an open "childlike" attitude. Any advice.

Comments

• sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    what drugs are they giving you?
    Drinks lots of water to keep yourself hydrated, eat small meals, take your nauseau meds and rest when you are tired.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Buy plastic
    spoons,etc to use instead of using regular. Chemo may leave you with a metallic taste,and you don't want to add to it ...
    I hope it goes well for you!
  • jackiejhm

Buy plastic
    spoons,etc to use instead of using regular. Chemo may leave you with a metallic taste,and you don't want to add to it ...
    I hope it goes well for you!

thank you
    I am so glad for you and your wisdom ladies. Thank you!!
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    jackiejhm said:

thank you
    I am so glad for you and your wisdom ladies. Thank you!!

Jackie
    if you want,you can go back into the archives here and find plenty of posts on tips for chemo...
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Jackie
    if you want,you can go back into the archives here and find plenty of posts on tips for chemo...

Wishing you good luck today
    Wishing you good luck today Jackie with chemo! Thinking of you!
  • giloco
    giloco Member Posts: 1
    chemo
    Starting chemo was the hardest thing I faced. I was a wreck. Taking something to calm one's nerves definitely helped. Getting through the first treatment, seeing how all the meds helped made it easier and easier. The great anti-nausea drugs helped ward off all those horrible side effects.Make sure you have someone to go with you for support. It helps! Bottom line, if I could make it through chemo, anyone can!!
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    giloco said:

chemo
    Starting chemo was the hardest thing I faced. I was a wreck. Taking something to calm one's nerves definitely helped. Getting through the first treatment, seeing how all the meds helped made it easier and easier. The great anti-nausea drugs helped ward off all those horrible side effects.Make sure you have someone to go with you for support. It helps! Bottom line, if I could make it through chemo, anyone can!!

chemo advice
    I don't have much advice regarding chemo because so much of it depends on your specific "recipe" and how your specific body reacts to the drugs. All I know is that I had taxol and herceptin and NEVER had any nausea (thank goodness ... because I'm not good with tummy aches ... so I probably would have stopped chemo). Anyway ... I did just fine. Only a few side-effects but they were all very manageable (lost my hair, nail problems, hives/itching/burning, constipation etc.) My ONLY real advice for anyone getting chemo is to get a port installed. I couldn't have done it without the port!

You'll do just fine.

hugs.
    teena
  • jackiejhm

what drugs are they giving you?
    Drinks lots of water to keep yourself hydrated, eat small meals, take your nauseau meds and rest when you are tired.

sweetvickid
    I am on taxotere and cytoxen. been home for hours. I feel dizzy, loopy, sleepy, but, not nauseas. So far the meds are working. Did any one else have the sensation that your legs were not really working well, wobbly, weak?
  • jackiejhm

Jackie

will do
    thank you
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    tgf said:

chemo advice
    I don't have much advice regarding chemo because so much of it depends on your specific "recipe" and how your specific body reacts to the drugs. All I know is that I had taxol and herceptin and NEVER had any nausea (thank goodness ... because I'm not good with tummy aches ... so I probably would have stopped chemo). Anyway ... I did just fine. Only a few side-effects but they were all very manageable (lost my hair, nail problems, hives/itching/burning, constipation etc.) My ONLY real advice for anyone getting chemo is to get a port installed. I couldn't have done it without the port!

You'll do just fine.

hugs.
    teena

I didn't have chemo, but,
    I didn't have chemo, but, wanted to wish you good luck!

Hugs, Debby
  • freeofit10
    freeofit10 Member Posts: 11
    Chemo
    I would go in there and pretend that it was a game of pac-man and the drugs were gobbling up the bad cancer cells. I thought of the drugs as doing a good job and not focusing on the side effects.
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    jackiejhm said:

sweetvickid
    I am on taxotere and cytoxen. been home for hours. I feel dizzy, loopy, sleepy, but, not nauseas. So far the meds are working. Did any one else have the sensation that your legs were not really working well, wobbly, weak?

Yes
    Yes. I felt the same way. The cocktail makes you weak. Get plenty of rest, drink lots of water, and eat light, small meals to keep your strength up. Don't overdue it.

Take care,

P
  • jackiejhm

Chemo
    I would go in there and pretend that it was a game of pac-man and the drugs were gobbling up the bad cancer cells. I thought of the drugs as doing a good job and not focusing on the side effects.

freeofit10
    I Love your idea. You know, I have decided from here on out to treat everything like an adventure. A field trip of sorts. Some of it has sucked- but I just love your idea-Thank you!!!xoxoxox