First trip to the Oncologist

Options
Lylesmyprince
Lylesmyprince Member Posts: 130
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Lyle has his first appointment scheduled with the Oncologist this Friday. We have questions like...How will the treatment effect his dialysis. What should we expect?

What are some other questions we should ask to be informed about his treatment? I appreciate your guidance!

Thank you,
Susie

Comments

• Betty in Vegas
    Betty in Vegas Member Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Let's see...
    I had these all written down once...but I can't find them. We asked things like:

Why these particular chemo drugs?
    How often? How long does the treatment take?
    Side Effects?
    What can we do/take to minimize the side effects?
    How will we know if it is affecting his dialysis...(we didn't ask this, but you should.)
    How can we prepare for treatment (Layne was told to gain weight if he could.)
    If he needs a port or picc line, which is better for him personally?
    What training do I need as a caregiver to take care of his lines and him?

I am sure others will have some questions I missed.

Betty
  • Lylesmyprince
    Lylesmyprince Member Posts: 130
    Options

Let's see...
    I had these all written down once...but I can't find them. We asked things like:

Why these particular chemo drugs?
    How often? How long does the treatment take?
    Side Effects?
    What can we do/take to minimize the side effects?
    How will we know if it is affecting his dialysis...(we didn't ask this, but you should.)
    How can we prepare for treatment (Layne was told to gain weight if he could.)
    If he needs a port or picc line, which is better for him personally?
    What training do I need as a caregiver to take care of his lines and him?

I am sure others will have some questions I missed.

Betty

Betty...thank you sooooo
    Betty...thank you sooooo much!! What great questions!! I'm afraid I will walk away from the doctor's visit and still feel like I have a million questions!! I'm thankful for this group of friends that will help us through this!!

Susie
  • Pghmomma
    Pghmomma Member Posts: 141
    Options

Betty...thank you sooooo
    Betty...thank you sooooo much!! What great questions!! I'm afraid I will walk away from the doctor's visit and still feel like I have a million questions!! I'm thankful for this group of friends that will help us through this!!

Susie

Hi susie
    I dont think I ever introduced myself to you. But Im Tina, I am here for comfort for my dad, he was Dx with EC at the end of November and had his surgery december 7th and is now going thur chemo (he is on his second treatment today), he is a stage 3. He was just having issues swallowing and went for a scope and bam, they found the tumor. Everything moved soooo fast their was not time for my family or I to ask any questions so I came here and this wonderful group of "family" helped me and reassured me.

Take a note book with you write things down as you think of them. and write the Dr's answers down to your questions.

I know where my dad goes, they have a patient notebook they give him and they also have a chemo class which was LOADED with GREAT INFO!

You will walk away from the dr's visit and feel like you still have sooo many quesitons too and you will, dont worry write them down and be sure to ask next time.

God bless,
    Tina
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Pghmomma said:

Hi susie
    I dont think I ever introduced myself to you. But Im Tina, I am here for comfort for my dad, he was Dx with EC at the end of November and had his surgery december 7th and is now going thur chemo (he is on his second treatment today), he is a stage 3. He was just having issues swallowing and went for a scope and bam, they found the tumor. Everything moved soooo fast their was not time for my family or I to ask any questions so I came here and this wonderful group of "family" helped me and reassured me.

Take a note book with you write things down as you think of them. and write the Dr's answers down to your questions.

I know where my dad goes, they have a patient notebook they give him and they also have a chemo class which was LOADED with GREAT INFO!

You will walk away from the dr's visit and feel like you still have sooo many quesitons too and you will, dont worry write them down and be sure to ask next time.

God bless,
    Tina

Best of luck Friday!
    Hi Susie and Lyle,
    I am also a Tina. I am also a caregiver for my dad, Ray. The other Tina and I have alot in common between our dad's. It is amazing. Both dx with ec in the same month, both daughter's have the same name, both are the same age, and their birthday's are 3 days apart!!!! Wow. Anyway....I just wanted to let you know that I will be thinking of both of you on Friday. Do ask alot of questions. Do take a notebook. Do write the drs answers down. Your head will be swimming, but you will handle it all just fine. God is here to help you. Come to me all that are heavy laden and I will refresh you. God Bless you both, and let us know how you make out.
    Tina
  • Ellie_E
    Ellie_E Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi Susie,
    My husband was dx

Hi Susie,

My husband was dx last september with Stage IV EC. The first time we went to the oncologist our 2 sons and our daughter-in-law came with us. Neither Jim nor I was able to take everything in. We were still in a daze! Our daughter-in-law wrote everything down and had a list of questions to ask like: What clinical trials are out there; would a stent make swallowing easier; what is the quality of life with different cocktails, etc.

Now whenever we go for treatment, I have my notebook and write down all the vitals: blood counts, tumor markers, coumadin levels...

May God give you and your husband strength. You will be in our prayers.

Ellie