Time for men to take a stand on PC

13»

Comments

• randy_in_indy
    randy_in_indy Member Posts: 496 Member
    TonyJr said:

PC
    I really wish I was as confident and you are, right now I'm still in total shock, I'm trying to deal with this the best way I can. I'm not giving in to it, but I'm trying not to let it or allow it to take control of my life, the way I feel it's trying to...but hopefully I'll eventually get a handle on it..

Thanks TonyJr

TonyJr
    What are your stats and where are you on the path in this unlucky club?

Randy in indy
  • Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 932 Member
    TonyJr said:

PC
    I really wish I was as confident and you are, right now I'm still in total shock, I'm trying to deal with this the best way I can. I'm not giving in to it, but I'm trying not to let it or allow it to take control of my life, the way I feel it's trying to...but hopefully I'll eventually get a handle on it..

Thanks TonyJr

Tony
    I understand your sentiments- I am fighting that same battle since march 09 when I had surgery. Confident? Not a bit. I would describe myself more a living in the shadows, wondering what is coming next.

I hate this thing!
  • mrshisname
    mrshisname Member Posts: 186
    Raising Awareness
    Hi, I am a registered nurse and the wife of a wonderful man just diagnosed 3 days ago. I'm off on medical leave from major surgery right now, and he is at work, so here I sit at the computer trying to make some sense of this thing called prostate cancer.
    I guess what I want to say is this: I never before realized how difficult the decision was for what to do about one's prostate cancer. At least a woman with cervical cancer who has a hysterectomy can still have sex, and is not usually incontinent. At least a woman with breast cancer can have reconstruction. This is a crappy disease and I just never realized it before!
    My husband's story: PSA 4.3, prostate size 27, 12 samples taken, ONE suspicious, ONE positive for adenocarcinoma (5% of sample). Gleason 3+3 for 6.
    We are considering DaVinci or HIFU..although I'm getting a little scared of HIFU because it seems to be being sold all over the Internet...
  • dakotarunner
    dakotarunner Member Posts: 102 Member

Raising Awareness
    Hi, I am a registered nurse and the wife of a wonderful man just diagnosed 3 days ago. I'm off on medical leave from major surgery right now, and he is at work, so here I sit at the computer trying to make some sense of this thing called prostate cancer.
    I guess what I want to say is this: I never before realized how difficult the decision was for what to do about one's prostate cancer. At least a woman with cervical cancer who has a hysterectomy can still have sex, and is not usually incontinent. At least a woman with breast cancer can have reconstruction. This is a crappy disease and I just never realized it before!
    My husband's story: PSA 4.3, prostate size 27, 12 samples taken, ONE suspicious, ONE positive for adenocarcinoma (5% of sample). Gleason 3+3 for 6.
    We are considering DaVinci or HIFU..although I'm getting a little scared of HIFU because it seems to be being sold all over the Internet...

Hi mhn
    Greetings.

Sorry you are here, but glad you are here. I had read your first post, but did not reply cuz' I went with RP as a choice for surgery. I tink you will find many different opinions at this site. Everyone did what they thought was best in their case, so it can get a little confusing. I can say that is is a club that we did not volunteer to join, but once a member, we quickly come to appreciate each others support.

PC is a "crappy" disease, and the results of fighting it seems to affect different people different ways, even if they have had the same procedure done. You and your husband will be faced with many possibilities and the final decsion will be yours. Take your time to the options and make your decsion.

The members of the PC club are here to offer support, to lend an ear, and what ever else may help you and husband.

Sincerely, Dakota Runner POPC
  • mrshisname
    mrshisname Member Posts: 186

Hi mhn
    Greetings.

Sorry you are here, but glad you are here. I had read your first post, but did not reply cuz' I went with RP as a choice for surgery. I tink you will find many different opinions at this site. Everyone did what they thought was best in their case, so it can get a little confusing. I can say that is is a club that we did not volunteer to join, but once a member, we quickly come to appreciate each others support.

PC is a "crappy" disease, and the results of fighting it seems to affect different people different ways, even if they have had the same procedure done. You and your husband will be faced with many possibilities and the final decsion will be yours. Take your time to the options and make your decsion.

The members of the PC club are here to offer support, to lend an ear, and what ever else may help you and husband.

dakota runner
    Hi and thank you so much for your reply.
    I just feel really lost today. Have spent most of the day on the internet and still don't have very good answers for my hubby.
    I'll be hanging out here a lot from now on, soakin' up info. So glad to have found this site/message board...
  • Ralphie62
    Ralphie62 Member Posts: 61 Member

dakota runner
    Hi and thank you so much for your reply.
    I just feel really lost today. Have spent most of the day on the internet and still don't have very good answers for my hubby.
    I'll be hanging out here a lot from now on, soakin' up info. So glad to have found this site/message board...

PC stinks
    I know exactly what you mean. I spent the first week straight on the internet, and found the CSN....this site saved me. I spent hours searching ,reading (crying)...until I got to a place where I felt like "we could do this". We are going to do this and beat it!!!We've just got todecide how. And you will not find any people better, more helpful, or compassionate than the "family" on this site. Sorry you're here, but welcome! :)Ralphie's wife
  • jojo72455
    jojo72455 Member Posts: 2
    Time for Men to Take a Stand
    As the wife of a man with prostate cancer and an RN I totally agree with you.... especially now that the trend is to avoid doing PSA's which is the only way to diagnose it before there are symptoms. Make sure to tell your friends and relatives to ask for a PSA test. Otherwise, like my husband, you may not get one in time to treat the cancer.
  • randy_in_indy
    randy_in_indy Member Posts: 496 Member
    jojo72455 said:

Time for Men to Take a Stand
    As the wife of a man with prostate cancer and an RN I totally agree with you.... especially now that the trend is to avoid doing PSA's which is the only way to diagnose it before there are symptoms. Make sure to tell your friends and relatives to ask for a PSA test. Otherwise, like my husband, you may not get one in time to treat the cancer.

Ok, Anyone ever watch Dr. OZ?
    I watch that and "the Doctors" sometimes...don't want people to think I don't work...cuz I do many, many hours a week. But I have two DVR recorders in my home and record all kinds of programs...Dr. Oz is just one. Anyway, program the other day was an all about men show...5 things below the belt that can kill men. Anyway one was prostate cancer...I sat throught the entire @#$%ing show and not ONE SINGLE TIME did they even bring up getting a PSA test...they did an actual DRE...guy was laying down on his side....I ask you have you ever had one lying down in a Dr.'s Office....Sheesh bend over dude.... I was really pissed feel like I should call them...they only stressed the DRE exam and talked about heridity and how if its in your lines the age is 40. I just don't get it...they showed on National TV a guy getting a DRE...good to see the man was not in pain and didn't have a problem (guy from the audience) and they lost the opportunity to say "GET A PSA TEST" EVERY YEAR and KNOW YOUR NUMBER and KNOW WHAT THE NUMBER MEANS!!! I would think they should have started with that....as who's afraid of a blood test vs who's afraid of a finger? Many men fear that I think...but I don't have a problem with either personally because I feel I'm more in touch with my body than most people from the 100,000 miles I have run in my lifetime...maybe I should say previous life because I don't run any more due to arthritis in my hips. Anyway...I was truely disappointed that not once did Dr. Oz or the Uroligist he had there to do the DRE mention getting a PSA test.
  • bdhilton
    bdhilton Member Posts: 846 Member

Ok, Anyone ever watch Dr. OZ?
    I watch that and "the Doctors" sometimes...don't want people to think I don't work...cuz I do many, many hours a week. But I have two DVR recorders in my home and record all kinds of programs...Dr. Oz is just one. Anyway, program the other day was an all about men show...5 things below the belt that can kill men. Anyway one was prostate cancer...I sat throught the entire @#$%ing show and not ONE SINGLE TIME did they even bring up getting a PSA test...they did an actual DRE...guy was laying down on his side....I ask you have you ever had one lying down in a Dr.'s Office....Sheesh bend over dude.... I was really pissed feel like I should call them...they only stressed the DRE exam and talked about heridity and how if its in your lines the age is 40. I just don't get it...they showed on National TV a guy getting a DRE...good to see the man was not in pain and didn't have a problem (guy from the audience) and they lost the opportunity to say "GET A PSA TEST" EVERY YEAR and KNOW YOUR NUMBER and KNOW WHAT THE NUMBER MEANS!!! I would think they should have started with that....as who's afraid of a blood test vs who's afraid of a finger? Many men fear that I think...but I don't have a problem with either personally because I feel I'm more in touch with my body than most people from the 100,000 miles I have run in my lifetime...maybe I should say previous life because I don't run any more due to arthritis in my hips. Anyway...I was truely disappointed that not once did Dr. Oz or the Uroligist he had there to do the DRE mention getting a PSA test.

Two points…quack quack quack
    Two points…

A friend of mine in recent history went to his doctor after talking with me about my scare and his doctor gave him a DRE (not a PSA) …So he tells me the story of the DRE and I ask “so what is your PSA…” He says “what is a PSA…” I say run to a urologist and get one and dump this quack…he does and his PSA is over 10…he is shopping options right now…

There is a school of thought out there from what I read (lead by a Harvard doctor-nothing against Harvard doctors my step father was one)…that PSA are #$@%@^$#^ …PSA may not be the most definitive test but it for sure from my point of view raises a flag…btw my surgeon is the one that developed this test many years ago (Dr. Catalona)…

Watch out…quack quack quack
  • bdhilton
    bdhilton Member Posts: 846 Member

Hi mhn
    Greetings.

Hey Dakota...
    I designed a t shirt is your honor on my site :-)
  • luckyman2
    luckyman2 Member Posts: 54
    bdhilton said:

Two points…quack quack quack
    Two points…

A friend of mine in recent history went to his doctor after talking with me about my scare and his doctor gave him a DRE (not a PSA) …So he tells me the story of the DRE and I ask “so what is your PSA…” He says “what is a PSA…” I say run to a urologist and get one and dump this quack…he does and his PSA is over 10…he is shopping options right now…

There is a school of thought out there from what I read (lead by a Harvard doctor-nothing against Harvard doctors my step father was one)…that PSA are #$@%@^$#^ …PSA may not be the most definitive test but it for sure from my point of view raises a flag…btw my surgeon is the one that developed this test many years ago (Dr. Catalona)…

Watch out…quack quack quack

PSA... the tip of the iceberg
    bdhilton, you're absolutely right, PSA may not be the most definitive test. I like to think of it as a way to show you the tip of the iceberg... giving you fair warning to look beneath the surface. Unfortunately most men simply liked to be carried along by the waves, thinking if they don't see danger, it doesn't exist, when the indications are there to chart a new course and quickly!

I was very lucky to have a GP who believed in doing a DRE and checking my PSA every year. The DRE proved nothing since no lumps were detected. My PSA was relatively low at only 4.96 compared to what I've seen from other guys on this site. However, it was the velocity of change over the years in the PSA that raised a red flag in my case: 1.53 to 1.72... then to 3.19... then to 4.96! Oops! That's when my GP recommended that I see a urologist, who then performed a biopsy. Result: Cancer with a Gleason Score of 6 (3+3) fully contained within the prostate. That was in March 2007 when I was 54 years old. I had my prostate removed by laparoscopy surgery in November 2007. Today everything is pretty much back to normal. Full steam ahead!
  • dakotarunner
    dakotarunner Member Posts: 102 Member
    luckyman2 said:

PSA... the tip of the iceberg
    bdhilton, you're absolutely right, PSA may not be the most definitive test. I like to think of it as a way to show you the tip of the iceberg... giving you fair warning to look beneath the surface. Unfortunately most men simply liked to be carried along by the waves, thinking if they don't see danger, it doesn't exist, when the indications are there to chart a new course and quickly!

I was very lucky to have a GP who believed in doing a DRE and checking my PSA every year. The DRE proved nothing since no lumps were detected. My PSA was relatively low at only 4.96 compared to what I've seen from other guys on this site. However, it was the velocity of change over the years in the PSA that raised a red flag in my case: 1.53 to 1.72... then to 3.19... then to 4.96! Oops! That's when my GP recommended that I see a urologist, who then performed a biopsy. Result: Cancer with a Gleason Score of 6 (3+3) fully contained within the prostate. That was in March 2007 when I was 54 years old. I had my prostate removed by laparoscopy surgery in November 2007. Today everything is pretty much back to normal. Full steam ahead!

Agree on PSA check
    I agree fully on the PSA check. Much like the mamograms for women, both cancer checks have recently come under some fire as not needed, or needed later in life, or possibly not effective. Tell that to a man or woma who would not have found out they had cancer otherwise, or would have found out after the damn stuff had progressed to far to easily combat.

As men, we all have had our blood checked now and then. A poke and it is done and over with. But let that Dr. slip the latex glove on, grab a tyube of KY jelly,tell us to bend over,and we say no-no. OK guys what will it be, the needle, or the Dr. with the size 14 hands??

Saying this on this site is like preaching to the choir. BUT if we say it enough here, it makes it easier to say to our fellow man in the real world.

Dakotarunner POPC!
  • hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member

Agree on PSA check
    I agree fully on the PSA check. Much like the mamograms for women, both cancer checks have recently come under some fire as not needed, or needed later in life, or possibly not effective. Tell that to a man or woma who would not have found out they had cancer otherwise, or would have found out after the damn stuff had progressed to far to easily combat.

As men, we all have had our blood checked now and then. A poke and it is done and over with. But let that Dr. slip the latex glove on, grab a tyube of KY jelly,tell us to bend over,and we say no-no. OK guys what will it be, the needle, or the Dr. with the size 14 hands??

Saying this on this site is like preaching to the choir. BUT if we say it enough here, it makes it easier to say to our fellow man in the real world.

Dakotarunner POPC!

In my case my PSA was steady at 2.26 for a couple of years
    The DRE showed a bumb in the cavity not on the prostate, so the urologist decided to do a biopsy........(by the way my prostate doc wondered why, they in fact did a biopsy)......anyway both are very important........just pick a dr. with small hands who very closely clips the nail on the "finger"

Ira
  • luckyman2
    luckyman2 Member Posts: 54

In my case my PSA was steady at 2.26 for a couple of years
    The DRE showed a bumb in the cavity not on the prostate, so the urologist decided to do a biopsy........(by the way my prostate doc wondered why, they in fact did a biopsy)......anyway both are very important........just pick a dr. with small hands who very closely clips the nail on the "finger"

Ira

A urologist with a good sense of humour.
    My urologist had a good sense of humour. He took off his watch just before doing the DRE!