Pedicure/Manicure

Options
BethInAz
BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My daughter is getting married in a week and a half and wants the 2 moms and bridal party to all get pedicures/manicures the day before the wedding. I've just finished my 4th chemo (taxotere and cytoxan) a week ago and know that the taxotere can be hard on nail beds. I'm wondering if I should take the chance and get a pedicure or whether I should avoid anybody working on my nails at this point (infection?). I've also heard that if there's lymph node removal, we shouldn't ever have a manicurist do any cutting on our cuticles. Any advice would be welcomed.
BethInAz

Comments

• pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Congratulations
    On the upcoming wedding! I don't know that I would get a mani/pedi done due to the chance of infection. I had the same cocktail as you and I am glad you even FEEL like getting your nails done...good for you!

I've been wanting to get a pedi (my last chemo was Oct 9th) and was curious about your statement about if you had lymph node removal we shouldn't have any cutting of our cuticles. What's the reasoning behind that? Just curious...
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Beth, I had the same
    Beth, I had the same cocktail you are on and continued to have pedicures throughout treatment. I DID NOT have any cutting on my cuticles. I would suggest that you tell your person doing the pedicure to not use any utensils on you. My lady did push back the cuticle but that's all. I did not have manicures but would think the same rules would apply. FYI, I asked my onco if I could get pedicures and she said yes as long as there was no cutting. Congratulations on your daughter getting married and I hope you have a wonderful time.

P.S. I have never heard the "no cutting on the cuticle" if you had lymph nodes removed????
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    pattimc said:

Congratulations
    On the upcoming wedding! I don't know that I would get a mani/pedi done due to the chance of infection. I had the same cocktail as you and I am glad you even FEEL like getting your nails done...good for you!

I've been wanting to get a pedi (my last chemo was Oct 9th) and was curious about your statement about if you had lymph node removal we shouldn't have any cutting of our cuticles. What's the reasoning behind that? Just curious...

Hi guys,
    I agree with Patti, congratulations for even feeling up to going to the wedding and also getting a manicure. I had the same cocktail too and I didn't begin to feel human or well enough to go anywhere til the 4th week after my last chemo! Good for you!

Both my surgeon and onc plus I have read it as well, have said that if you get your nails done to bring your own equipment (because their's mite not be sterilized properly) and never to let anyone cut your cuticle on the hand where the lymph nodes were removed for fear of infection which could cause lymphodema. Our lymph nodes are comprimised and because there is less of them, they can't properly drain the fluid from our arms, if there is an infection they have to do double work. If you've ever had an infection in your arm or hand have you noticed you can get a hard lump under your arm? That's your lymph nodes working to protect your arm, but if you don't have as many as before.... This may not be a real technical explanation but you get the idea.

My nails on my hands are growing in full of ridges, toenails are ok. I am putting a nail strengthener on them and it hides how they look. Use your judgement, but I would really be careful, especially if you don't know this place or the nail tech etc. If it were me, I would do my own nails and be safe not sorry. A wedding is only a few hours and lymphodema is a life time.

But have a ball at the wedding with or without that manicure/pedicure!

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • kms3566
    kms3566 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Congradulations on the wedding!
    I am really interested in the responses to your question. I had a centile lymph node removal that I was told it was positive but "others" were negative. Do I need to ask exactly how may???? I routinely get pedicures and the occasional mani, should I be concerned? This is a subject I never thought of nor did my Dr mention it. By the way I just had a double mastectomy jan 29 and have not started chemo yet. I am learning more by the hour from this site!
  • BethInAz
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Beth, I had the same
    Beth, I had the same cocktail you are on and continued to have pedicures throughout treatment. I DID NOT have any cutting on my cuticles. I would suggest that you tell your person doing the pedicure to not use any utensils on you. My lady did push back the cuticle but that's all. I did not have manicures but would think the same rules would apply. FYI, I asked my onco if I could get pedicures and she said yes as long as there was no cutting. Congratulations on your daughter getting married and I hope you have a wonderful time.

P.S. I have never heard the "no cutting on the cuticle" if you had lymph nodes removed????

Careful on the cuticles
    Thanks, everybody, for your thoughts. I just had this uncomfortable feeling when my daughter said she was scheduling us all for the pedicures. I'm probably being overly cautious but I don't want to mess anything up at this point! I think I'll just go along for the fun and do my own nails.
    I don't know where I read it - perhaps Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book - but I read that after lymph node removal, you should be careful and not cut cuticles, you should use oven mitts when you put your hands in an oven, and you should wear gardening gloves so as not to get poked/injured on your hands. I had 3 nodes removed on one side and 2 on the other so I'm assuming I need to be careful although neither surgeon nor oncologist have been concerned enough to mention anything to me in the way of being extra cautious.
    I've been so blessed throughout my treatments with speedy recovery. I usually feel crummy for about a week and then feel pretty good after that. Today I'm making the turn and starting to really look forward to the wedding and seeing all of our family and friends that are flying in to AZ to attend!
    Thanks again for your advice and congratulations!
    Beth
  • BethInAz
    Options
    kms3566 said:

Congradulations on the wedding!
    I am really interested in the responses to your question. I had a centile lymph node removal that I was told it was positive but "others" were negative. Do I need to ask exactly how may???? I routinely get pedicures and the occasional mani, should I be concerned? This is a subject I never thought of nor did my Dr mention it. By the way I just had a double mastectomy jan 29 and have not started chemo yet. I am learning more by the hour from this site!

Thanks for your input
    kms - So glad you're learning so much on this site. It's been a wonderful resource for me, too. My double was in October - sentinel nodes removed - no tumor detected, thank goodness. I know you have already joined the courageous group of women who are tackling this disease in their lives moment by moment - with grace and strength. Let us know when you begin chemo.
    Beth
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    I'd say...
    Go along for the fun and conversation - be a part of the group and the celebration. You can be there, and simply "pass" on the mani/pedi. (Which I've actually done with friends. The salon won't mind. Headed for a gourmet coffee afterwards...)

Yes, I got the same directions: no cutting, no grinders. I do my own nails. Although I've heard of survivors who seek out specialized nail techs with diabetic clients (similar concerns and restrictions, though for different reasons).

Congratulations to you, your daughter and future husband, your whole family! Enjoy the wedding, without worry.

Kind regards, Susan
  • BethInAz
    Options

I'd say...
    Go along for the fun and conversation - be a part of the group and the celebration. You can be there, and simply "pass" on the mani/pedi. (Which I've actually done with friends. The salon won't mind. Headed for a gourmet coffee afterwards...)

Yes, I got the same directions: no cutting, no grinders. I do my own nails. Although I've heard of survivors who seek out specialized nail techs with diabetic clients (similar concerns and restrictions, though for different reasons).

Congratulations to you, your daughter and future husband, your whole family! Enjoy the wedding, without worry.

Kind regards, Susan

Thanks
    Susan, Thanks for the encouragement. I'm leaning that way - just being there to enjoy everybody and be a part of the fun. I appreciate your advice.
    Beth
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    BethInAz said:

Thanks
    Susan, Thanks for the encouragement. I'm leaning that way - just being there to enjoy everybody and be a part of the fun. I appreciate your advice.
    Beth

I also had a wedding and had my nails done
    and I told the guy that I was taking chemo. He said it would not be a problem, but he did not do any cuticle work at all. He added on to 3 of my shorter nails and that was my only problem. About a month afterward they came off and left a nasty looking nail behind as they also took part of my real nail with them. I don't know if it had anything to do with the chemo as I had never had my nails done before this. Don't plan on doing it any time soon.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    Mama G said:

I also had a wedding and had my nails done
    and I told the guy that I was taking chemo. He said it would not be a problem, but he did not do any cuticle work at all. He added on to 3 of my shorter nails and that was my only problem. About a month afterward they came off and left a nasty looking nail behind as they also took part of my real nail with them. I don't know if it had anything to do with the chemo as I had never had my nails done before this. Don't plan on doing it any time soon.

I would say pass on the
    I would say pass on the mani/pedicure. I would not take the chance with lymph node removal. Maybe you can just get your nails polished. Have fun at the wedding!
  • rrogers34
    rrogers34 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    congratulations
    Great news on the wedding. I was also told not to get a pedicure or manicure because of the
    risk of infection. I have heard that there are creams to remove cuticles. I would definitely ask your onc. dont put yourself at risk.
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Options
    rrogers34 said:

congratulations
    Great news on the wedding. I was also told not to get a pedicure or manicure because of the
    risk of infection. I have heard that there are creams to remove cuticles. I would definitely ask your onc. dont put yourself at risk.

Go for the color and conversation!
    ~thinking along the lines of what meena wrote~ just go for a paint job!
    Blessings~
    Melanie