what to do to help incision heal

Options
rm22111
rm22111 Member Posts: 54
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a bilateral mastectomy with expanders placed at the same time in December. The incision area was not healing well so the first part of Feb. the plastic surgeon had to cut out the dead skin and stitch everything back together. I am still have problems healing. I am trying to eat as much protein as I can. I am also drinking a Boost drink with protein. I have been putting triple antibiotic ointment on the area twice a day. Does anyone have any ideas to help me heal faster. I have two more rounds of chemo I need to do, but have had to put off because of healing issues.

Comments

• Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    RM
    I'm so sorry that you are having such a difficult time getting your incisions to heal. My nutritionist recommends extra iron in the diet and I have an aloe liquid that I have sprayed on my incisions and I am amazed at the results! You can barely see the scars! It's made by George's-100% aloe. If you are interested: (254)580-9990 or georgesaloe.com
    Hope you find relief soon!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My first question to you is
    My first question to you is does your doctor know that you are using triple antibotic cream? The reason I ask is that when I had my breast reduction in Sept I wasn't healing and the doctor told me to use polysporin and nothing else... he said that the triple antibotic ointments were not good to use on the scars... I think you should ask your doc if you haven't already...

I also had the same problem as you... double mastectomy/expanders in Dec, healing issues and dead tissue removed. I didn't need chemo though so mine is a different scenario... after the 2nd surgery I went back on my vitamins and supplements and started using liquid Vitamin E on the scars after the stitches finally came out. Mine were in over a month...

Good luck and keep us posted..
    Dot
  • rm22111
    Options
    Dot53 said:

My first question to you is
    My first question to you is does your doctor know that you are using triple antibotic cream? The reason I ask is that when I had my breast reduction in Sept I wasn't healing and the doctor told me to use polysporin and nothing else... he said that the triple antibotic ointments were not good to use on the scars... I think you should ask your doc if you haven't already...

I also had the same problem as you... double mastectomy/expanders in Dec, healing issues and dead tissue removed. I didn't need chemo though so mine is a different scenario... after the 2nd surgery I went back on my vitamins and supplements and started using liquid Vitamin E on the scars after the stitches finally came out. Mine were in over a month...

Good luck and keep us posted..
    Dot

Thank you for the information
    I see the Doctor again this Thursday so I will ask about the ointment. He is the one that said I should use the triple antibiotic ointment. Today I was doing some research on the internet about healing of wounds and Aloe vera was also suggeted. Do you use it when you still have the stitches? I will ask the Doctor if I can start using the Aloe.

Thank you so much for the information.
    rm
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    Options
    me too
    I had the same thing. Bilateral with tissue expanders in mid Dec. 2 weeks later, surgery again to remove dead tissue. But, no chemo. Talk to your plastic surgeon about what he/she wants you to put on the incisions. Mine told me absolutely no antibiotic ointment. He wanted the incisions dry. He had me gently washing with straight hibiclens & letting it dry on my skin 3 x's daily. Obviously, all of our Dr.s have different opinions and methods. It's good that you are increasing your protein. My Dr also advised me to take 500mg vit C twice daily to promote healing. If you decide to take it be sure it is buffered or ester C, it can be rough on the stomach otherwise. The only other thing I can think of (that my Dr told me) was to do "absolutely nothing". Basically he wanted me to have no tension on the incisions. I was healing ok 2 weeks after the 2nd surgery (except back on antibiotics for infection in the incisions) but, still had to "take it easy" for 2 more weeks before we knew it was really going to be ok. The major fear was that the incision would open up. I totally understand your frustration! Why won't our bodies do what we want them too!?! Hang in there, healing thoughts coming your way.......

Gentle hugs, El
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    rm22111 said:

Thank you for the information
    I see the Doctor again this Thursday so I will ask about the ointment. He is the one that said I should use the triple antibiotic ointment. Today I was doing some research on the internet about healing of wounds and Aloe vera was also suggeted. Do you use it when you still have the stitches? I will ask the Doctor if I can start using the Aloe.

Thank you so much for the information.
    rm

RM
    Yes, I used it after surgery and she also recommended using it for Radiation, mouth sores & no taste buds. It actually has many beneficial healing qualities. It's natural-what can it hurt? I prefer as much natural as I can get in this chemical world I'm in right now!
    Let us know what the doc says.
    Take Care
    Cathy
  • kms3566
    kms3566 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Cat64 said:

RM
    I'm so sorry that you are having such a difficult time getting your incisions to heal. My nutritionist recommends extra iron in the diet and I have an aloe liquid that I have sprayed on my incisions and I am amazed at the results! You can barely see the scars! It's made by George's-100% aloe. If you are interested: (254)580-9990 or georgesaloe.com
    Hope you find relief soon!
    Hugz,
    Cathy

Thanks for info
    Cathy, thanks for the info on the aloe. I am 2 1/2 weeks out from a double mastectomy and not all of the steri strips have come off yet, but the scars are awful. I am going to try the aloe! Buy the way what kind of scaring is there after reconstruction? I think I am months away from that step, but just curious.

Thanks, karen
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    Options

me too
    I had the same thing. Bilateral with tissue expanders in mid Dec. 2 weeks later, surgery again to remove dead tissue. But, no chemo. Talk to your plastic surgeon about what he/she wants you to put on the incisions. Mine told me absolutely no antibiotic ointment. He wanted the incisions dry. He had me gently washing with straight hibiclens & letting it dry on my skin 3 x's daily. Obviously, all of our Dr.s have different opinions and methods. It's good that you are increasing your protein. My Dr also advised me to take 500mg vit C twice daily to promote healing. If you decide to take it be sure it is buffered or ester C, it can be rough on the stomach otherwise. The only other thing I can think of (that my Dr told me) was to do "absolutely nothing". Basically he wanted me to have no tension on the incisions. I was healing ok 2 weeks after the 2nd surgery (except back on antibiotics for infection in the incisions) but, still had to "take it easy" for 2 more weeks before we knew it was really going to be ok. The major fear was that the incision would open up. I totally understand your frustration! Why won't our bodies do what we want them too!?! Hang in there, healing thoughts coming your way.......

Gentle hugs, El

incision healing issues and breast forms
    My doctor told me not to put anything on it. She also had put glue on the incision all the way across and it took over 2 weeks for all the glue to flake off. Now it is just red and a little sore. It has been a month since my mastectomy and yes it is still somewhat sore but I have been able to buy a breast form to put in my camisole and wore it for the first time today and it did not irritate the incision at all so I guess it is healed for the most part. I got tired of putting socks and panties and whatever else I could find to put in my camisole. I definately could not wear a bra yet because of the soreness and they will not fit me for a prosthesis until 8 weeks after surgery.

Anyway, don't put anything on the incision without asking the doctor first.

Lorrie Balentine
  • rm22111
    Options

me too

Gentle hugs, El

update
    I saw the plastic surgeon yesterday. He wants to wait another week to see if it will heal better before chemo. I asked about the Vitamin c and he said it would not hurt. So, I stopped off at Lassens on my way home and picked up some buffered V C. He said Zinc would be good. I already take some zinc. So, I am not sure about taking more. I am going to make sure I eat Zinc rich food. I also have a call into my oncolcogist to find out if it is okay that I take the C before I start chemo.

The PS said it does not heal he may have to take out the expander. I really do not want to have to do that. I am tried of surgeries.

rm22111