tamoxifen for Atypical lobular hyperplasia

Myshell
Myshell Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Met with my oncologist yesterday. We discussed Tamoxifen for ALH. Because of my family history and ALH I have up to 7 times greater risk of getting cancer than someone with no risk factors. Tamoxifen can cut the risk by 45-50%. I'm afraid of the side effects as is my husband. I already struggle with my weight and sometimes depression. I know many people have mild side effects. Some not so mild. I'm considering waiting to start until I'm done with school in April. Any thoughts?? Also would like a good book on breast healthy diet. Thanks so much

Comments

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Good luck with your decision
    Good luck with your decision Myshell! I am not on tamox as I chose not to. My oncologist said it would only cut my risk of a recurrence by about 2%, if that. So, it wasn't worth it to me. When doctor's say it will cut your risk by 50%, it means 50% of whatever your chance of a recurrence is. Mine was around 4% chance of a recurrence, so, 50% of that is 2%. My oncologist admitted he would never tell someone 100% chance of no recurrence, so, I will take my odds as I feel good about them. You don't have to hurry that I know of in making your decision. Take your time, research it, think about it and talk to others if you need.

Best of luck to you. Do what is best for you!
  • peggypeggy
    peggypeggy Member Posts: 111
    hello
    i have been on tamoxifin now 4 months no side effects as of yet except it stopped my mentral cycle no complaints there god bless gl mf
  • peggypeggy
    peggypeggy Member Posts: 111
    Kylez said:

Good luck with your decision
    Good luck with your decision Myshell! I am not on tamox as I chose not to. My oncologist said it would only cut my risk of a recurrence by about 2%, if that. So, it wasn't worth it to me. When doctor's say it will cut your risk by 50%, it means 50% of whatever your chance of a recurrence is. Mine was around 4% chance of a recurrence, so, 50% of that is 2%. My oncologist admitted he would never tell someone 100% chance of no recurrence, so, I will take my odds as I feel good about them. You don't have to hurry that I know of in making your decision. Take your time, research it, think about it and talk to others if you need.

Best of luck to you. Do what is best for you!

hello
    hope you are well luv everything good i hope i had my six month checkup every thing good my oncotype was one but they still put ,e on tamoxifin had brac done no mutations nothing genetic i have no ida where this came from a fluke i guess god bless hope you are wellpeggy
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Myshell,
    It's a difficult decision to make, for sure. The side effects from Tamoxifen could be severe or nothing at all or somewhere in between. You have some risk factors, but your risk of getting breast cancer is still low. I would get a few professional opinions before you proceed further.

As for breast healthy food, there is a good book called "Anti-Cancer: A New Way of Life" I think that has good suggesions for a good anti-cancer regimen, including specific suggestions for breast cancer. Also see if your cancer center or hospital has nutritionists on hand who specialize in breast cancer. I see one (for free) every few months and it really helps keep me on track. Good luck.

Mimi
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    mimivac said:

Myshell,
    It's a difficult decision to make, for sure. The side effects from Tamoxifen could be severe or nothing at all or somewhere in between. You have some risk factors, but your risk of getting breast cancer is still low. I would get a few professional opinions before you proceed further.

As for breast healthy food, there is a good book called "Anti-Cancer: A New Way of Life" I think that has good suggesions for a good anti-cancer regimen, including specific suggestions for breast cancer. Also see if your cancer center or hospital has nutritionists on hand who specialize in breast cancer. I see one (for free) every few months and it really helps keep me on track. Good luck.

Mimi

Hi, Myshell
    I have IDC and ILC, not ALH, so I don't have any advice on whether or not you should take Tamoxifen, but I can say that I've been on it for about 4 months now, and the only side effects I've had were hot flashes at night, which were really bad at first, but are now very mild since I've switched to taking the pill in the morning, rather than at night.

I can also echo Mimi's recommendation of Anti-Cancer: A Way of Life. My oncologist just yesterday suggested it to me.

Traci