Post-Hysterectomy fluid build up

A1pena
A1pena Member Posts: 92
Hi There,

I have a question for my mom- she had her hysterectomy about 2 weeks ago and has a lot of fluid coming out vaginally. She goes through about 3 pads in one hour in the morning but then it tapers off by afternoon. There isnt any blood- just fluid. We got really concerned since she was swelling up so we took her to the emergency room. Doctor said she had a UTI and acute serosangineous vaginal discharge and that if it got worse to come back. Has anyone else had this?

Kind Regards,

Amanda

Comments

• lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    I would call the oncology nurse or oncologist-on-call.
    I think I'd want to talk to someone in oncology familiar with your mother's case (her surgeon maybe, or his oncology nurse). Did your mother have swelling prior to her surgery and did she have that fluid 'tapped off' during the surgery? I have heard (on the Ovarian Cancer Discussion Board) that after (ascites??) fluid is removed during debulking surgery, any remaining will often run out vaginally afterwards. You may want to post this question on the Ovarian Cancer Discussion Board of this site if no one here has any experience with this.

(((Hugs))))
  • A1pena
    A1pena Member Posts: 92

I would call the oncology nurse or oncologist-on-call.
    I think I'd want to talk to someone in oncology familiar with your mother's case (her surgeon maybe, or his oncology nurse). Did your mother have swelling prior to her surgery and did she have that fluid 'tapped off' during the surgery? I have heard (on the Ovarian Cancer Discussion Board) that after (ascites??) fluid is removed during debulking surgery, any remaining will often run out vaginally afterwards. You may want to post this question on the Ovarian Cancer Discussion Board of this site if no one here has any experience with this.

(((Hugs))))

Thank you for the
    Thank you for the suggestions Linda! We called her Oncology doc and she basically said that if she gets a fever then to worry but to set up an appointment with her regular gyno just in case. I'll re-post in the ovarian board as well.

Kind Regards,

Amanda