Please help with hair desicion.

ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone.Well after finishing all my treatments my hair is still short like an inch and half.Its getting a little thicker.My wig is really nice and looks like my hair before Chemo.But I get so tired of wearing it.My hair came in a salt and pepper color.I think I could wear it short now if i could get it colored.I bought a hair dye two wks ago that didn,t have harsh chemicals.But it didn,t color it much and was a yellow color.The yellow has washed out thank God.I know some of you have talked about dying your hair.What dye did you use?And did it do ok.I probley will have to go get it done.I also don,t want to damage my new hair.Thanks for your replys.

Comments

• Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    I'm in the same boat as you
    My hair is mostly white and grey, though. Another friend who just went through this dyed her hair with whatever Revlon puts out in the drug stores. It came out great and she was very happy about it. Good luck. I wish we could show pictures on here.
  • Hair Color
    I had mine done at Super Cuts and the Color came out Great no problems. Seems like anyone who has chemo the hair comes back salt & pepper mine did too.

Cheryl
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003

Hair Color
    I had mine done at Super Cuts and the Color came out Great no problems. Seems like anyone who has chemo the hair comes back salt & pepper mine did too.

Cheryl

my hair came back salt and
    my hair came back salt and pepper. I tried a store bought dye but it did not work very will, so i went to a salon and had it colored. It came out great. You should try a salon and maybe she can give you tips for follow up.
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Mama G said:

I'm in the same boat as you
    My hair is mostly white and grey, though. Another friend who just went through this dyed her hair with whatever Revlon puts out in the drug stores. It came out great and she was very happy about it. Good luck. I wish we could show pictures on here.

You CAN show pics here,
    You CAN show pics here, Lorraine. Load them onto your expressions page (buy you know that, right?) Hey, and how do you have so much hair you can dye it already??? Didn't you just finish chemo like me? Geesh, I've got a LOOOONG way to go before I could even 'think' about coloring it or even know what color it's coming back in :)
  • karen0423
    karen0423 Member Posts: 67
    Hi- I was dx in 2002 and my
    Hi- I was dx in 2002 and my hair came in silver...I got lots of complements about the way it looked but I wasn't ready to have silver hair,I was too "young". So I asked my oncologist if I could color it, and he was okay with it. So I went back to my "original" color. Also, my hair came back as thick as it was before the year and a half of chemo, just a different color. Hope this helps.
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    karen0423 said:

Hi- I was dx in 2002 and my
    Hi- I was dx in 2002 and my hair came in silver...I got lots of complements about the way it looked but I wasn't ready to have silver hair,I was too "young". So I asked my oncologist if I could color it, and he was okay with it. So I went back to my "original" color. Also, my hair came back as thick as it was before the year and a half of chemo, just a different color. Hope this helps.

mine is brown
    i finished chemo in september mine is coming in a dark brown. when it gets longer i am going to a salon to have them highlight it. before i lost my hair i use to try drugstore coloring it never turned out on my hair so i stopped wasting my money on it. wishing you the best!

teresa
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    teresa41 said:

mine is brown
    i finished chemo in september mine is coming in a dark brown. when it gets longer i am going to a salon to have them highlight it. before i lost my hair i use to try drugstore coloring it never turned out on my hair so i stopped wasting my money on it. wishing you the best!

teresa

I was always jealous of mama
    I was always jealous of mama G her hair started growing in before chemo was done. My hair grows so slow i will be wearing scaves in the summer. I would just like to see it grow a little so i know it will. there's always that fear . I used to foil my hair had very little gray it should be interesting. do you notice hair on head first or 'other places" ?
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    carkris said:

I was always jealous of mama
    I was always jealous of mama G her hair started growing in before chemo was done. My hair grows so slow i will be wearing scaves in the summer. I would just like to see it grow a little so i know it will. there's always that fear . I used to foil my hair had very little gray it should be interesting. do you notice hair on head first or 'other places" ?

Salt & Pepper
    Mine is also coming in salt & Pepper. Seems to be slow growing. How long should it be before you color it ?
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Kat11 said:

Salt & Pepper
    Mine is also coming in salt & Pepper. Seems to be slow growing. How long should it be before you color it ?

Hey guys
    Mine is coming in

Hey guys
    Mine is coming in salt and pepper too. I think the scoop is that grey or white hair doesn't take the color as easily so the store bought colors dont work very well.I tried a blond color on mine last month cause I thught it might look thicker...but it just looked UGLY!!So now I'm waiting til it's long enough to get it styled and I'll get it colored at the same time.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    dyaneb123 said:

Hey guys
    Mine is coming in

Hey guys
    Mine is coming in salt and pepper too. I think the scoop is that grey or white hair doesn't take the color as easily so the store bought colors dont work very well.I tried a blond color on mine last month cause I thught it might look thicker...but it just looked UGLY!!So now I'm waiting til it's long enough to get it styled and I'll get it colored at the same time.

Hi all,
    Hair about, almost half inch, in some spots one or two are longer...what a hoot. It's salt & pepper but it was before, I just never saw it. I have had my hair salon colored for years, I could never put in all the colors etc. myslef. I can hardly wait to have enough hair, period, but will color as soon as I can.

Carkis, hair started on my head first, but "other places" seem to be coming in faster now, who cares about that! Also I have ONE hair under my arm. Eyebrows, lashes and nose hair comingback. Tiny eyelashes are so cute. My last chemo was 12-11. You guys who are further ahead, is there a chance I can go bare-headed by May? June?

Never a dull moment!

Judy :-D
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Hair
    Thanks for your replys.I should probley wait a few weeks then go to a salon and have it dyed.i used to have to get it cut every 4to6wks.it is amazing how long it takes now to grow.I probley need to be more Patient.Like you know its hard when its been several months and no hair.I will put a picture of what it looks like now on my exspresions page.And then when I get it colored I will put that on their two.I am hoping that when I have it colored it will look like more hair.Thanks again. Pat.
  • xskeetshooter
    xskeetshooter Member Posts: 169
    ?
    i think you already damaged your real hair
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Pat, I posted last week that
    Pat, I posted last week that I was getting my hair colored on Saturday by my hairdresser. I did and it turned out beautiful. My last chemo was 10/15, so it has been 4 months. My hair was not long enough to cut, but I feel liberated. The color that my hairdresser uses is one that is made specifically for hair with gray in it. Mine was very salt and pepper and is now a golden brown. The color covered it completely. I'll try to get a picture taken so I can post it. Good luck!!
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Pat, I posted last week that
    Pat, I posted last week that I was getting my hair colored on Saturday by my hairdresser. I did and it turned out beautiful. My last chemo was 10/15, so it has been 4 months. My hair was not long enough to cut, but I feel liberated. The color that my hairdresser uses is one that is made specifically for hair with gray in it. Mine was very salt and pepper and is now a golden brown. The color covered it completely. I'll try to get a picture taken so I can post it. Good luck!!

"chemo-do"
    After chemo my hair came back gray/silver/white ... whatever ... and it didn't upset me because that was the color it was BEFORE chemo. It might be a bit thicker in texture ... but other than that ... it's the same as before. The difference is in my hair-do. When it started coming back in and I started going without my hat ... I loved how low-maintenance it was. Just dry it a bit with a towel and run my fingers through it to aim it in the right direction ... and I'm all set. No hair dryer, comb, curling iron etc. And ... I was getting compliments on it... so I'm sticking with the very short "do." I've always like Jamie Lee Curtis' hair on those Activa commercials ... and now my hair is pretty darn close to her "do."

hugs.
    teena