Options
2»

Comments

• JanInMN
    JanInMN Member Posts: 149
    Options
    Chrispea said:

mouth sores
    I didn't get mouth sores, but I got like a burned tongue and roof of my mouth. Only with the taxotere, not the AC. It's like a drank a scalding hot cup of coffee or soup.

My first time was the worst... my tongue swelled up like 3 times it's size. I called and they got me the magic swizzle stuff, that helped. I also did the salt rinse... didn't help me all that much.

All my taste buds were blown out. I ate a hamburger and it tasted like a meat patty between 2 donuts, it was gross!

It took about a week (Saturday-Saturday, after my Wed. Chemo) to get normal for me.

The next time I went to chemo, I went armed with raspberry sorbet. It tends to melt slow in your mouth, so I'd scoop some up and hold it on my tongue and roof of my mouth. Do this as soon as they start the chemo bag. That seemed to help a lot. I didn't have the tongue swelling. I still had the burned feeling, but not as bad, and it didn't last as long... by about Wednesday I could start to taste again.

I'm going to try the method listed above and use the baking soda/salt swish prior to my next chemo. I'll try anything!!

Today is Monday, and had my 3rd taxotere chemo last Wednesday, and things are looking up! I'm starting to get my taste buds back. Yeah... can't wait to taste my coffee again.

good luck. try the ice and or sorbet, or even a nice cold iced coffee or something.

I like the sorbet or iced
    I like the sorbet or iced coffee suggestion! I'll try it. Thanks!
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Options

Salt and Soda...
    I do what Sandy said, soda and salt mixture. The only difference is I mix the soda and salt in a small container and just add some to a little bit of water as I am ready to ues it. Some days I use it more than others => It has done great for me. I have had a "tender" mouth, but no sores. Praise God!!!

Hope this does the job for you too!
    Angel

Great idea!
    This way you wouldn't have to worry about leftover solution, just mix what you need each time! I calculated what it would take to mix 1/4 cup of mouthwash at the appropriate strength at a time. If you have a 1/8 tsp measure, that's the amount of the salt/soda mixture you would add to 1/4 c water. I think 1/4 cup might not be quite enough for me, as I like to swish & rinse at least twice, so I think I'll use a heaping 1/8 tsp with 1/3 cup water.

Thanks for the great tip, Angel!

Sandy
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Options
    Chrispea said:

mouth sores
    I didn't get mouth sores, but I got like a burned tongue and roof of my mouth. Only with the taxotere, not the AC. It's like a drank a scalding hot cup of coffee or soup.

My first time was the worst... my tongue swelled up like 3 times it's size. I called and they got me the magic swizzle stuff, that helped. I also did the salt rinse... didn't help me all that much.

All my taste buds were blown out. I ate a hamburger and it tasted like a meat patty between 2 donuts, it was gross!

It took about a week (Saturday-Saturday, after my Wed. Chemo) to get normal for me.

The next time I went to chemo, I went armed with raspberry sorbet. It tends to melt slow in your mouth, so I'd scoop some up and hold it on my tongue and roof of my mouth. Do this as soon as they start the chemo bag. That seemed to help a lot. I didn't have the tongue swelling. I still had the burned feeling, but not as bad, and it didn't last as long... by about Wednesday I could start to taste again.

I'm going to try the method listed above and use the baking soda/salt swish prior to my next chemo. I'll try anything!!

Today is Monday, and had my 3rd taxotere chemo last Wednesday, and things are looking up! I'm starting to get my taste buds back. Yeah... can't wait to taste my coffee again.

good luck. try the ice and or sorbet, or even a nice cold iced coffee or something.

I love raspberry sorbet!
    Wonder if I can get my DH to carry a small ice chest along with everything else we carry up to the med ctr for every treatment? I have one more A/C, then I'll start with my taxane treatments. Hmmmm . . .

Thanks! Sandy
  • Angel_4_James
    Angel_4_James Member Posts: 73
    Options

I love raspberry sorbet!
    Wonder if I can get my DH to carry a small ice chest along with everything else we carry up to the med ctr for every treatment? I have one more A/C, then I'll start with my taxane treatments. Hmmmm . . .

Thanks! Sandy

: )
    Sandy ... you are welcome!
  • rrogers34
    rrogers34 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    On same cocktail
    I am on the exact same cocktail. Today was treatment number 3. HALFWAY POINT!!!! YEAH!!!.
    I I have not had mouth sores but I use biotene mouthwash and toothpaste. I drink lots of water. I use cetaphil for my face and body and my complexion is better than before chemo. I take a multivitamin, iron and calcium with vitamin D daily. I do take nuelasta and for a couple of days there is some pain. It has been releived with extra strength tylenol. so far my blood counts have been good. I know everyone is different but I hope this helps.

hugs and prayers
    Becky
  • JanInMN
    JanInMN Member Posts: 149
    Options
    rrogers34 said:

On same cocktail
    I am on the exact same cocktail. Today was treatment number 3. HALFWAY POINT!!!! YEAH!!!.
    I I have not had mouth sores but I use biotene mouthwash and toothpaste. I drink lots of water. I use cetaphil for my face and body and my complexion is better than before chemo. I take a multivitamin, iron and calcium with vitamin D daily. I do take nuelasta and for a couple of days there is some pain. It has been releived with extra strength tylenol. so far my blood counts have been good. I know everyone is different but I hope this helps.

hugs and prayers
    Becky

Yeah for you at the halfway
    Yeah for you at the halfway point!! I was thinking of trying the Cetaphil wash. (Never expected chemo-acne). My teenage boys use it, and it works well for them. I'm bringing water, ice, and popsicles with me next time, to hopefully keep the mouth sores at bay.
    Thanks!!! :-)