radiation VS. cruise

Options
2»

Comments

• dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    Lots of people have to take
    Lots of people have to take a break from rads for different reasons...a week isn't going to mess up your treatments. Just tell them you'll be gone so it doesn't mess up their scheduling.
  • pml805
    pml805 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Cruise / radiation
    Tell your radiologist. I am sure you could begin treatments, then take your vacation break and pick up the treatments when you return from your cruise.

If ever you needed a getaway, it is now!

I am in the same boat.. (excuse the pun)... I am awaiting surgery. They think it will be the week of 2/22. In December I purchased airline tickets, hotel and tickets to a show in Las Vegas for 4 days leaving on April 12. I have already told the surgeon that I plan on being on that airplane and any follow-up treatment they have in store for me will need to wait until after those 4 days that I need to spend away from the emotional rollercoaster I have been on.

Good luck
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    Options
    Cruise.
    Hi,I had a cruise schedueled when I first found out I had Cancer.Like you I had planned for several months for this trip.I talked to my Cancer Dr. and she worked around it.I would just talk to my Dr.Me and most people I talk to have to take a week break from rads.Good Luck.I hope you get to go.I had a wonderful time. Pat.
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Options
    Just what the doctor ordered!
    Sounds to me like it should be 'just what the doctor ordered', or at least I wish my doctor would! It would blow me away if they suggested you not go on this cruise. Cruises are the best vacations ever and it's just amazing what it does for your psyche. PLEASE let us know what happens and as so many have said, I hope we'll be saying bonvoyage in just a couple months!
  • Taina
    Taina Member Posts: 166
    Options
    go for the cruise...
    Hello, Sharon...
    rads is different on everyone...
    it wasn't that bad for me....
    maybe the worst was been tired....
    you and your family have plan this family trip/cruise...
    cancer is not fun...is a long journey....
    just tell your radiation oncologist that you want to go
    on the trip...you and your family need some time together
    other than dealing with hospital/cancer treatment...
    i'm sure you will feel like you have recharge your bateries
    after your cruise...
    I will pray for you and your family....
    Happy Valentine's Day....
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Taina said:

go for the cruise...
    Hello, Sharon...
    rads is different on everyone...
    it wasn't that bad for me....
    maybe the worst was been tired....
    you and your family have plan this family trip/cruise...
    cancer is not fun...is a long journey....
    just tell your radiation oncologist that you want to go
    on the trip...you and your family need some time together
    other than dealing with hospital/cancer treatment...
    i'm sure you will feel like you have recharge your bateries
    after your cruise...
    I will pray for you and your family....
    Happy Valentine's Day....

Sharon, this may sound a bit wild .. but, go on your cruise
    Call and speak to oncologist .. let them know about the family plans. I too am sick of the "C" word. I would like to elimate this word for daily conversation, however, it is our cross to bear. Taking a week off to vacation with family or friends will give you a new lease on life -- which we all need from time to time.

Have a wonderful time, and take lots of pictures.

VickiSam
  • Sharon40
    Sharon40 Member Posts: 93
    Options
    thanks
    Thanks for all the well wishes. I have been excercising my arm like crazy! Determined to get my arm up and over my head so we can get the CT scan and get this radiation underway!! I'll let you know if if happens this week!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Sharon40 said:

thanks
    Thanks for all the well wishes. I have been excercising my arm like crazy! Determined to get my arm up and over my head so we can get the CT scan and get this radiation underway!! I'll let you know if if happens this week!

Hoping that you can go on
    Hoping that you can go on your cruise! Have a great time!

Hugs, Leeza