Double whammy...2 cancers Prostate and bladder.

fathersson
fathersson Member Posts: 121
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Interesting how all of this worked out. In late October, My GP noted a rising PSA ( 4.8-5.02) and sent me to a urologist. DRE normal and biopsy ( 1 core less than 5% cancer, encapsulated and gleason 6). No symptoms until December when urination frequency became a minor irritant. Having 4 nurses in the family looking out for me resulted in me convincing the medical people to get a CT and bone scan. Results: Bone scan normal. CT scan normal except showed small tumor in bladder. I decided to expedite the biopsy and removal of this thing and contacted a physician who could fit me in quickly. The biopsy/removal was done Monday. Today the results came in. The tumor was positive but at the lowest possible grade..My physician has decided that we should just monitor the bladder every three months so as to check for re-occurance. In both cases and both cancers, he feels I am not in any imminent dange from the PC of bladder cancer. Removal of the prostate will be scheduled soon. In the meantime, even though nailed by 2 cancers at once, I feel damn lucky and grateful I had all those RNS prompting me to go beyond normal protocol. Interesting the thre urologist I have seen all have concurred that my families perserverance to get these tests done, even though against normal SOP could have easily saved my life. So again, I fell like one lucky guy.

Comments

• jminnj
    jminnj Member Posts: 129 Member
    Hi. I was just getting ready
    Hi. I was just getting ready to send you a note and decided to log in here first. Sorry to hear about the Bladder issue. Good luck with the surgery for the prostate. Are you using your urologist? If so, you are in good hands. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Take care and if you need to talk, let me know.

Joe
  • fathersson
    fathersson Member Posts: 121
    jminnj said:

Hi. I was just getting ready
    Hi. I was just getting ready to send you a note and decided to log in here first. Sorry to hear about the Bladder issue. Good luck with the surgery for the prostate. Are you using your urologist? If so, you are in good hands. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Take care and if you need to talk, let me know.

Joe

All OK
    Hey Joe,

Not a big deal...discovered and taken care of early and as I said, I wanted to move on it so I got it done quickly. Did not use your urologist due to his schedule that would have delayed it for a few weeks. I agree he is excellent and compassionate Doctor. Like I said,feel pretty lucky about all of this. How about you... still progressing well?

Best, FW
  • jminnj
    jminnj Member Posts: 129 Member

All OK
    Hey Joe,

Not a big deal...discovered and taken care of early and as I said, I wanted to move on it so I got it done quickly. Did not use your urologist due to his schedule that would have delayed it for a few weeks. I agree he is excellent and compassionate Doctor. Like I said,feel pretty lucky about all of this. How about you... still progressing well?

Best, FW

Yep, progressing well. Have
    Yep, progressing well. Have been able to get out to some of my daughters basketball games, have actually been back to the gym. Mostly treadmill walking with a little eliptical machine. I should be able to get back to bowling either this coming Monday or the Monday after. I might give it to the 22nd just to be sure. Minor incontinence (leakage) issues, mostly stress type (cough, sneeze, etc). All in all doing good. Next up is te check up and PSA March 3rd.

Well glad you got the bladder issue addressed. Good luck with the prostate surgery. Keep me posted. Like you, I feel very lucky to have found out early.

Take care,
    Joe