Update on Mom's chemo

Options
minky1225
minky1225 Member Posts: 70
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Mom started chemo last friday... She is on Taxol/Carboplatin for one full day every 3 weeks. She is still in the hospital so that actually gives me comfort that she has constant supervision when I cannot be there. The very next day(Saturday) she was complaining that her muscles felt like mush. I also noticed that her face looks very wind burned. Yesterday(Sunday) she had full body pains. She stated that "It feels like an elephant is sitting on my bones." She is getting pain meds every 3 hours(Dilautin-spelling???). She also had a short bout with nausea yesterday. Today she said she is feeling somewhat better but still in pain.

I know every person is different but can anyone relate to her symptoms? Is there anything else that we should expect? I also am curious as to when the hair loss begins. She also wanted me to ask if she is going to lose her eyelashes and/or eyebrows.

Thanks in advance for sharing all of your info!
Allison

Comments

• Barbara53
    Barbara53 Member Posts: 652
    Options
    what to expect
    Hi Ali,

Your Mom will probably feel pretty bad for another week, and then start feeling better. Her hair will start going about 10 days after she got her chemo, and come out in gobs a few days later. Be ready with a wig and soft, warm caps. In most cities, the American Cancer Society has "look good, feel better" programs that can offer some help with these things. Headcovers.com sells some nice little cotton sleep caps that my mother wears all the time.

This is a very tough time for everyone. Hang in there.
  • ten101
    ten101 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Your Mom's chemo
    The pain is to be expected. I thought I would breeze through my first chemo treatment and then two days later intense bone pain started. It was very difficult for a few days until the pain started to ease up. She will start losing her hair, everywhere. I had one eyelash that lasted through my treatment. But I have a good wig and scarves and hats work well also. Hopefully medication for nausea will help her. She's not going to feel like herself for a while and I found I was very tense and afraid until symptoms started to ease up. Then the second week was ok and by third week I was feeling pretty strong until the next treatment.

I hope your mom can make the best of the times she is feeling better.

Mary Carol
  • Mawty
    Mawty Member Posts: 133
    Options
    ten101 said:

Your Mom's chemo
    The pain is to be expected. I thought I would breeze through my first chemo treatment and then two days later intense bone pain started. It was very difficult for a few days until the pain started to ease up. She will start losing her hair, everywhere. I had one eyelash that lasted through my treatment. But I have a good wig and scarves and hats work well also. Hopefully medication for nausea will help her. She's not going to feel like herself for a while and I found I was very tense and afraid until symptoms started to ease up. Then the second week was ok and by third week I was feeling pretty strong until the next treatment.

I hope your mom can make the best of the times she is feeling better.

Mary Carol

You mom's chemo
    The first carbo/taxol (I also had Avastin) was the worst. I had terrible bone pain in mainly my knees and legs. My hair started falling out 7 days after the first treatment. After the first treatment, the others were much easier until I got to 6 and 7 and the cumulative effect really started. I had to have blood transfusions, but those make you feel so much better right away! If your mom starts getting out of breath really bad when she starts walking around, she may need her blood tested. I was lucky and caught it early enough so I never had to miss a chemo. I went in and had a transfusion twice when I found I couldn't breathe well.

Hope this helps.

Marty
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I can relate
    Hi Allison, the wind burn look is from the steroids used to stop any allergic reactions and the pain is from the taxol. Some people sail right through it without the bone pain, but I know it well and it feels as if your bones could break. It doesnt' seem like pain meds touched this pain for me, different kind of ache. Staying hydrated along with ativan really helps with the nausea, I would think in the hospital they were staying on top of this. The pain, for me, started a couple days after and lasted 3-5 days. Hope that helps, hugs ♥ prayers Bonnie
  • minky1225
    minky1225 Member Posts: 70
    Options
    BonnieR said:

I can relate
    Hi Allison, the wind burn look is from the steroids used to stop any allergic reactions and the pain is from the taxol. Some people sail right through it without the bone pain, but I know it well and it feels as if your bones could break. It doesnt' seem like pain meds touched this pain for me, different kind of ache. Staying hydrated along with ativan really helps with the nausea, I would think in the hospital they were staying on top of this. The pain, for me, started a couple days after and lasted 3-5 days. Hope that helps, hugs ♥ prayers Bonnie

Thanks all you fab people!
    You all are truly the bestest! Again, I appreciate all of your help!
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Options
    minky1225 said:

Thanks all you fab people!
    You all are truly the bestest! Again, I appreciate all of your help!

Your Moms Treatment
    I must say out of all the treatments I have received; the carbo/taxol hit me the hardest, plus it was also my first time ever receiving chemo.

Your mom will feel like her body is as heavy as lead, but believe it or not this will pass a few days after each treatment.

Also remember the human body is amazing and adapts under all kinds of circumstances, with support and the appropriate care your mom will get through this.

Keeping your mom in my prayers,

Sharon