sternum pain after breast cancer

Options
charbee
charbee Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
is anyone experiencing sternum pain and/or tenderness after breast cancer...I had chemo and radiation 6 yrs ago and lately i feel like i have pulled a muscle in my chest?

Comments

• Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    No, I haven't. You should
    No, I haven't. You should probably call your doctor and tell him about your pain. Hope it gets better for you.

Megan
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Yes! Yes! Yes! I recently
    Yes! Yes! Yes! I recently had this very symptom...also 6 years after BC. My Dr diagnosed COSTOCHONDRITIS~ an inmfammation of the chestwall, and especially the sternum, which can happen years after radiation therapy.

I am not diagnosing you, but this is what I had!It is non life-threatening, and was actually "cured" with OTC pain relievers! And oncve I wasn'y afraid of it being a recurrance, or bone mets, my mental health was in much better shape!

Good luck to you, sweetie!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    chenheart said:

Yes! Yes! Yes! I recently had this very symptom...also 6 years after BC. My Dr diagnosed COSTOCHONDRITIS~ an inmfammation of the chestwall, and especially the sternum, which can happen years after radiation therapy.

I am not diagnosing you, but this is what I had!It is non life-threatening, and was actually "cured" with OTC pain relievers! And oncve I wasn'y afraid of it being a recurrance, or bone mets, my mental health was in much better shape!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Call you doc
    I would start with breast surgeon and explain your symptoms. Probably some type of test will be recommended.
    I wish you feeling better soon.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options

Call you doc
    I would start with breast surgeon and explain your symptoms. Probably some type of test will be recommended.
    I wish you feeling better soon.

This is exactly what I
    This is exactly what I did...told my Breast Surgeon who ordered MRI and mammograms, (all clean/clear) and as the pain was not measurably better, I went to my family Dr who seemed to know EXACTLY what was going on. He told me to google Costochondritis and/or Tietze's syndrome, I did and felt instantly relieved! This happened in August, and I am just fine today! I hope, of course, that you will be fine too! Keep us in the loop, ok?

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

This is exactly what I
    This is exactly what I did...told my Breast Surgeon who ordered MRI and mammograms, (all clean/clear) and as the pain was not measurably better, I went to my family Dr who seemed to know EXACTLY what was going on. He told me to google Costochondritis and/or Tietze's syndrome, I did and felt instantly relieved! This happened in August, and I am just fine today! I hope, of course, that you will be fine too! Keep us in the loop, ok?

Hugs,
    Claudia

Call your doctor and tell
    Call your doctor and tell him about your pain. It could be nothing or it could be something. Hopefully, it can be easily treated. But, do call.
  • charbee
    charbee Member Posts: 2
    Options
    chenheart said:

Hugs,
    Chen♥

omg, i actually have that
    omg, i actually have that written down to ask the doc about...when i read the symptoms it was exact........and yes ..the reocurrance fear is huge!!!!thank you ofr your input!!
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Call your Doctor
    Hi,

Please call your doctor and explain. It may be nothing but residual pain, but for me it was a recurrance and I'm glad I got it checked out. I don't want to scare you but make sure it gets checked out so you can have peace of mind. Best of luck.

Terry